Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Rebuild - 'Slalome' by Vic Smeed  (Read 29690 times)

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
Rebuild - 'Slalome' by Vic Smeed
« on: November 09, 2009, 09:32:23 pm »

Hi all, this is my first post.

I have a Vic Smeed model boat that my uncle helped me make when I was a lad in the early '80s. I still have it and want to give it a refurbishment and an upgrade.

Specifically, I want to make a new superstructure (closer to the original) and make it RC (was made initially as a straight runner).

It is a planing hull, about 31" long and 9" in the beam.The original image in the catalogue looked like a patrol boat. It is constructed of ply frame with ply skins. It was designed for 1.5 - 3 cc petrol motors, and was supposedly a one-star difficulty, though when we got it, there was a lot more to it. I think the name on the plans might have been Tempest, but it is a long time ago and I cannot be sure. The deck slopes slightly to assist with water run-off. Due to the complexity of the original superstructure, my uncle proposed a simplified design that looks nothing like the original. The aperture in the deck is also larger than on the plans to make access easier.

The original superstructure had quite a lot of angles and had a long window on each side of the bridge, which was set back from the bow. The forrard section of the superstructure sloped down toward the front, and the top of it had a shallow inverted 'V' .

As I type I realise I could be describing hundreds of Vic Smeed designs, so I'm not sure whether the description will be enough for someone to help identify it.

The only other thing I can remember is that the plans came from a place in Hemel Hempstead Herts, and the picture and description were at the bottom of a right hand page in the company's catalogue, which dated from around 1978-80.

Not much to go on, huh?

I will post a photo in the next few days.

Anyone prepared to hazard a guess?

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
Re: Vic Smeed Mystery Boat
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 09:50:13 pm »

Hi Boz

Welcome to the site  :-))

Your model sounds like Vic Smeeds "Slalome" - a 30" freelance missile launcher for 1.5 - 3.5cc.

The model has "quite a lot of angles and had a long window on each side of the bridge, which was set back from the bow. The forward section of the superstructure sloped down toward the front, and the top of it had a shallow inverted 'V' "

It also has a 1 star difficulty rating.

Might be wrong though  :o

Mark.
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

knoby

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 10:23:43 pm »

Hi Boz, welcome to the madness her. Mark could well be right with the Salome, heres a small & very bad picture of it ( if it comes out) to give you an idea. I'm sure as soon as u post a picture someone will identify it for you, mayhemmers are a helpful bunch  :-))
My first 3 boats were all Vic smeed designs, bustler, tiddler & incholm, & i was privillaged to meet the man himself on several ocassions as a young lad. He was one of life's true gentleman & a superb modeler. I doubt there are many others that have contributed so much to getting people started in this great passtime.
good luck with rebuilding your model, theres plenty of help & good advice available here, everyone starts somewhere so don't be shy to ask questions.
cheers Glenn

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 10:31:47 pm »

You blokes are absolutely brilliant. I haven't seen that picture since 1981-2.

It is definitely that boat, Slalome by Vic Smeed.

I'm amazed that you worked it out so quickly from my rubbish description. What I need to do now is buy the plans, if they can still be found, so I can make that superstructure. I think I'll leave those missiles off it though.

I'll get a photo up here so you can see it.

Thank you.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 10:37:12 pm »

I Might have a copy I will have a look tomorrow and let you know. If not you could try the plans service at myhobbystore.com
Steamed up all the time

Mark47

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 10:37:23 pm »

You blokes are absolutely brilliant. I haven't seen that picture since 1981-2.

It is definitely that boat, Slalome by Vic Smeed.

I'm amazed that you worked it out so quickly from my rubbish description. What I need to do now is buy the plans, if they can still be found, so I can make that superstructure. I think I'll leave those missiles off it though.

I'll get a photo up here so you can see it.

Thank you.

Here you go.

http://www.myhobbystore.com/7143/XL-Sport-Model-MM-718-Slalome-.html

Mark

Mark47

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 10:38:32 pm »

I Might have a copy I will have a look tomorrow and let you know. If not you could try the plans service at myhobbystore.com

Just beet me to the post. O0

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 10:42:26 pm »

I'll order that ASAP. And for only £8.00 - bargain.

If his name hadn't been so distinctive I wouldn't have remembered that either. It is a very nice looking design but it was very complex to make. I remember my uncle had to make a few additions/variations to the design to make it work. I think with my limited skill and the time it took he (understandably) got a bit tired so simplified the superstructure, as it looked as though it was only slightly less complex than the hull to make.

Have a lot of people made the Slalome? I'd be interested in seeing pics of other people's versions.

Thank you all for your help. I clearly came to the right place!

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 09:24:14 am »

hi a bit of a side track, but is Vic Smeed still with us ,I have tyred google but did not fined much on him apart from his plans

aye

john e
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 09:36:28 am »

Yes Vic is still around - he stepped in to do a bit of judging at the Luton MBC earlier this year.

Colin

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 10:13:22 am »

I have found the drawings Boz (they cost 7/6 ---you might need to check with your grandparents what that is)
Have PM'd you
Steamed up all the time

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 07:34:00 pm »

Fantastic, many thanks Phil.

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 05:45:52 pm »

I've taken some photos of my Slalome hull.

Please excuse the 25 year old paint scheme, the next one will be a lot better. As you can see there is not much inside yet. As it is a fictitious design, I have yet to decide what I am going to do for the colour scheme.  The deck aperture is bigger than the original, I think on the plans it is narrower towards the front, but I will be able to check that soon. I have decided to make a new superstructure following the original design, though some modifications might be required to take account of the larger deck aperture.

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 05:48:16 pm »

...and an interior shot...

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 12:29:27 pm »

I got the plans in the post an hour or so ago - thanks Phil!

I will be stripping the paint from the outside of the hull, do some minor filling and then painting it. I'll then build a superstructure as close as possible in appearance to the plans. The plans show it as being built in 2 pieces, the wheelhouse hinged at the front and the rear deck hinged at the stern. I presume this is to keep it securely attached at the high speeds possible from a IC engine. Mine has an electric motor installed so won't be going as fast. I would prefer not to have visible cabinet hinges (as stated on the plans), so I will probably build it as a one-piece, drop on version. Due to the different shape of the deck aperture, the superstructure will need to be somewhat wider at the front (constant width front to rear without the taper to match the aperture). It will be a few mm higher to fit over the coaming but will be otherwise look as it does on the plans.

Once all that is done, I'll fit it out for RC.

It is a very good-looking design, and I'm looking forward to seeing it as Vic intended.

pomybill

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 09:49:09 pm »

Hi Boz.
A thought!!! Why not make a false deck/Plug in unit the full size of the present opening and build the superstructure on this and then you can build as per the plan.
pomybill %)  >>:-(  O0

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 03:21:03 pm »

Yes that is definitely an option. I am also thinking of modding the coaming at the front so that the superstructure will not need to extend so far forward.

elvis

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 08:34:55 pm »

hi there.
just been looking at the model in a local paper.
the section was the way we were.
it was a photo in the times and star in cumbria and it's the local model club in the early 80's.
the hair cuts we had. {-)
all the best

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 07:11:29 pm »

Am acquiring bits and pieces to commence the Slalome refurbishment. Can anyone steer me in the direction of someone who sells 1/8" and 1/16" ply? A local search has not been successful; 3/16" is the thinnest I've found thus far.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 07:15:42 pm »

Where are you? You will want a local(ish) supplier

Inwood models in Huntingdon sell the required ply, but if you have to have it posted it would probably be extremely expensive.
Don't Assume Check

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 11:54:06 pm »

Found some sites that sell it, will give them a call this week. Nothing local so will see how it goes in the post.

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 01:16:43 am »

Have obtained some 1/8 and 1/16 plywood and some other bits and pieces from www.slecuk.com. Arrived very punctually and good service.

The superstructure will look very similar to the original but be one-piece, and I've worked out the detail of how to make it marry up. I will also need to modify the deck and make the aperture smaller and narrov toward the front, and I've done some detailed drawings on how to make that work. The height of the coaming will need to be reduced somewhat.

I've also found a WW2 MGB colour scheme at http://www.hslmouldings.co.uk/71ft_6in_mgb.htm that I like, so will use this as an inspiration. 

Now I'm on holiday for 3 weeks I aim to make a proper start, so I'll keep you posted and take photos as I go.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 03:54:22 pm »

Hi Bluebird, There is an article coming up v.soon in Model Boats reviewing the annual exhibition that the St. Albans model engineering society held in St. Albans.  Vic Smeed agreed to be one of our judges and there is a photo of him in the article. (Is that the reference to judging you made Colin?)
He also came to our Christmas evening a few weeks ago, and he is definitely 'still with us'.  He and his wife winning one of our competitions.

He still has a very quick mind and is charming to talk to.

At the exhibition I introduced him to the current editor of the Meccano Magazine and Vic said "Oh, I used to edit that".
I did ask him a few personal questions, which he did not mind me sharing.

1 When did you sail your first model boat and he said that was in 1929.  My guess is that he was about 9 years old then.

2, Were you a Spitfire pilot?  "Yes", he said "I was from 1943".

There were a few anecdotes, including, one of his model aircraft plans is the most copied and made in the world.

Somebody actually made a full size aircraft from one of his model plans and put a VW engine in it and flew it.  He was eventually stopped as there was no official airworthyness certificate and it was impounded.  He wanted it back but was only allowed to with the engine removed.
The free sailing boat plan in MMI plans was designed after a recent visit to St. Albans lake.
I think that Vic has gone back to flying model aircraft now.

regards Roy

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 11:47:46 pm »

I have made a start on the deck, cutting out and inserting a piece to narrow it toward the front as per the original plans. Amazing how those skills learned when I was a child come back so easily after such a long time!

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
Rebuild - 'Slalome' by Vic Smeed
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2010, 07:05:54 pm »

As the sub-title of the 'Model Boating' forum says, I didn't know exactly where to put this post (is it a military/working/other vessel?), so I'm sure one of the mods will move it to the appropriate place.

I posted on here a couple of months ago about a boat I had built (well my uncle did the lion's share) way back in 1980/81. I remembered it was a Vic Smeed design, and that it was a fast launch, but could not remember the name of the design. Well, some helpful people on here helped me and I found out that it was 'Slalome' by Vic Smeed, which was described as a "...30in freelance missile launcher with intriguing construction technique and hull form which is very manoeuvrable. 1.5 to 3.5cc ic ".

As I related in the original thread http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=20687.0 it was built with a simplified superstructure that looked nothing like the original on the plan. The deck aperture is also modified, the original had 2 separate compartments of different shapes, while my version has only one large one that is longer and narrower. My search was prompted by the desire to refurbish it and give it a nice paint job to a higher standard than I was capable of all those years ago. I decided I also wanted a superstructure more in keeping with the original design. Once refurbed, I will convert it to RC and see how it goes. It was built originally as a straight runner so mine has an electric motor, not IC, so it is a bit more sedate than the original.

Thanks to Phil I received the plans and set about acquiring all the bits and pieces I needed.

Over the Christmas break I have done some work so thought I would let you know how I've got on.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.