Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Rebuild - 'Slalome' by Vic Smeed  (Read 29702 times)

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Rebuild - 'Slalome' by Vic Smeed
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 07:14:19 pm »

Here is a comparison of the 1981 iteration, and the 2009 modification for the new superstructure. A plug has been put in the front of the aperture made of 3/8" plywood to give the new coaming something to sit on. The new coaming is yet to be made. Amidships, cuts have been made for the new superstructure in preparation for dividing the aperture into 2 parts as per the original. I have also reduced the height of the original coaming to the same as on the plan (7/16"). This was necessitated by the superstructure design.

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 07:14:20 pm »

The plans show the original superstructure as built in 2 pieces, with the front being hinged at the front where it meets the deck, and the rear also hinged, but at the stern end. No doubt at the high speeds of a IC engine this method would ensure it was secure. The front part tapers toward the front, and overlaps with the constant-width rear section by means of an overlap.

I did not like the look of hinges, and I also thought the overlapped junction of the separate pieces disrupted the clean lines. Therefore I decided to build it as a single piece, drop-on superstructure, with an angled join slightly further forward, in a line with the rear face of the wheelhouse (if you look carefully at the plan in the bottom picture you can see the original vertical overlap join just to the rear of the wheelhouse). To make the 2 pieces marry up it was necessary to make the rear section 1/4" wider and make it of 1/8" ply instead of 1/16" for added rigidity and to enable a strong join where the pieces met. The front of the 1/8" rear section is bevelled and the 1/16" wheelhouse sides are glued on, then the wood is filed and sanded down for a smooth join. The ply glue 'stripes' can be seen as a result. A little filler was necessary here and there to fill in pin holes and tidy up small blemishes - this is all very simple work compared to some of the multi-layer planking that some on here manage so well!

The last photo shows the superstructure in place. Overall, the result looks very much as Vic Smeed intended. There is still some minor fitting to be done as it does not quite sit flush at the rear, but since the photo was taken this has been largely solved. The middle deck piece and coaming are still to be made.

The next piece of work will be to strip the hull exterior and to smooth everything down ready for paint. There is a piece of brass rod to protect the bow tthat needs to be dressed down a bit (especially the mounting brackets for it, and some filling is needed here and there.

Flying Sparks

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 07:38:02 pm »

Looks nice  :-)) :-)) Ha, 7 and a half bob for the plan  {-)

Should be running soon, thanks for sharing.

Phil

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 07:52:21 pm »

Nice job Boz, I'm glad the plans have at last got some use, cant wait to see the finished  boat.
Are you goig to put the missle on the back, as it just so happens I have something that might do (a small rocket to be more precise)  :-))

The other Phil
Steamed up all the time

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 07:26:57 pm »

Phil, my initial feeling was to leave the rockets off the model. However having built the superstructure, it looks a bit empty back there. I will ponder on it some more. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2010, 02:38:52 pm »

OK, I've finished the superstructure - one of the more time-consuming bits was to get it to sit flat on the deck due to those 1980-81 slight irregularities fitting the 6-piece deck!

The hull needs to be sanded down and repainted externally, which is the next task.

For the colour scheme I've decided on something inspired by this as it is something a bit interesting and different: http://www.hslmouldings.co.uk/71ft_6in_mgb.htm

I've also decided to put the rockets on the back as per the original design, so Steamboat Phil I will PM you to discuss!

What I need to do now is find some paints (preferably spray-cans) in a primer, gloss white, gloss teal green/blue, gloss black and satin naval grey. Vic Smeed's Slalome is a fictitious design so authenticity isn't really an issue. I want to use all the same brand of paint if possible to minimise compatibility issues.

I will peruse the relevant forum pages to have a look for ideas, but has anyone got any suggestions?

Now for the more difficult stuff I know little about: batteries and radio control gear. I have had an initial read of the intro pages on this forum which are very useful, and further research is needed. The motor fitted (type/model unknown) was powered by a motorcycle battery (voltage??), but things have moved on since then. I am simply looking at getting it on the water at this stage, so am interested in a reasonably basic, simple but robust set-up. The motor, gearbox, propshaft, prop and rudder are ready to go. It is just the RC gear and batteries I need to address. Any suggestions gratefully received.

What sort of lubrication would the gearbox/propshaft need? There is a bung on top of the gearbox that gives access to internal components, so it appears lubrication of some form is needed.

JinYin_Thew

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2010, 09:49:06 am »

Looks lovely. As I can see there are lot of items in your boat ... I took a closer look at the blueprint  :} Great work man  :-))

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 11:56:49 pm »

An update - rebuild proceeding apace. Hull is currently being refurbished and prep for paint. Superstructure primed and am doing plenty of research for R/C system, batteries etc, for which this site has been very helpful. Am also receiving significant tech support from my uncle with whom I built it in the first place.

Has anyone here dealt with Cornwall Model Boast and/or Ripmax? Any opinions about either or both? I'm about to buy a bunch of RC gear and accessories from one of these places, so opinions would be welcome.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2010, 12:30:44 am »

Looking great! Cornwall model boats were very efficient the few times i've used them and don't seem to have a bad word said about them

Usual disclaimers.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 11:58:22 pm »

An update about my Slalome. Today I ordered a bunch of stuff from Cornwall Model Boats including a Futaba 6-channel 2.4Ghz r/c set, MTroniks ESC, battery pack and charger and some other miscellaneous niff-naff. Even bought a new soldering iron and electronics solder, and have all the paint ready to go. In the next 2 weeks (though am away a bit for work) I hope to make some serious progress. I went for a NiMH battery pack instead of SLA as finding a SLA with the right dimensions was difficult (esp with regard to height) and they were quite heavy - I want to keep the weight down so the 6v electric motor isn't dragging too much around I will need to check carefully how the ballasting goes - it needs 500g total weight near the stern to trim correctly and the battery pack only weighs 325g. Still, the other r/c kit, receiver batteries etc will add some weight, and I'll see how it goes together. 

Since my last bulletin I have spent a lot of time sanding down and filling the hull and addressing some minor symmetry issues. I've now sorted it, and just need a little more minor work before installing the new chine strip and a further coat of primer.

Will upload some photos in the near future showing progress since January. Still mulling over details of finished boat, and have got some inspiration from Dark and Brave Class craft. Even though it is a fictitious craft I am going for a 1950s-60s RN-type look.

I don't suppose anyone has photos of other people's versions of Vic Smeed's "Slalome" do they? I'd like to see how other people made them.

knoby

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2010, 12:24:16 am »

hi boz, sounds like you sorted out the rc equipment well. a good choice. i also think going for the nimh instead of the sla was a good move, I'm sure the weight saving will improve the performance considerably.

Looking forward to seeing the photos &  the finished model

keep up the good work

cheers Glenn

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2010, 05:09:19 pm »

Mt R/C gear from Cornwall Model Boats was delivered on Fri. Here are some photos, with the Slalome included in its primer state, which how it will stay to avoid damaging the final finish while working on it until the R/C installation is all worked out and tested. I will then remove the R/C gear and paint the boat in its final colours, before final fit out of the R/C gear and prep for sea trials!

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2010, 05:16:41 pm »

The nimh battery is quite a bit smaller than I thought. It will actually fit across the beam, meaning I can get more flexibility in sorting weight distribution. I have been playing around with the positioning of the various bits of kit to get an idea of how it will work. The 2.4GHz antennae (there are two of them coming out of the receiver) are quite short, but have to be spread apart. I now need to position the gear to make sure there is as little interference as possible. I have noise suppression kit made by my uncle, and this will help. In outline the plan is to run the tick wires down one side, and the thin ones (to/from receiver) down the other. I think I need to get the ESC and receiver as afar as possible apart, and keep the receiver away from the motor too.

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2010, 05:20:28 pm »

Here is an internal photo, there is plenty of space, now to get the positioning right.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2010, 03:23:35 pm »

Looks nice  :-)) :-)) Ha, 7 and a half bob for the plan  {-)

Should be running soon, thanks for sharing.

Phil
           That would be "seven and a tanner"     (tanner = sixpence piece)  What a great job you`ve done.  ref Vic Smeed`s most popular model aircraft, that would be the immortal "Tomboy".  A free-flight job for 1cc deisels with optional floats for waterplane ops. I built one the month it came out in Aeromodeller magazine in 19** , not telling, so long ago I forget !
..well can you land on this?

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2010, 03:43:18 pm »

Just noticed the RX battery , get some advice on use of the BEC (battery eliminator circuit) there is a choice of powering your reciever off the main battery or the smaller Rx one shown.  Simple you only need to cut one wire but consider the choices. The lads and lasses on here will advise.
..well can you land on this?

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2010, 08:01:27 pm »

Many thanks, will take a look at that.

Have been geographically separated from the boat for the last few months hence the lack of updates. Only 2 months to go until I return - looking forward to getting back into it! Should be on the water not long after Christmas! Spray painting in the cold might be a bit challenging with the paint dribbles, slow drying  resulting from low temperatures but we will see.

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2010, 08:04:26 am »

In preparation for my return to the UK, and resumption of the Slalome rebuild, I have been doing a bit of research when time allows to see if there is any info out there about the Slalome design and people's builds. Not a lot out there I have to say, but I'm slowly managing to find out more.

I found this: http://www.payhost.net/modelling/acatalog/Model__Boats.html where back issues of old model boat-related magazines are for sale.

I also found out that there was a 3-part series in Model Maker magazine, in the Dec 62, Jan 63 and Jun 63 issues, which appear to include the Slalome plans and a building series, including an article (Part 3) entitled "First Trials".

I've put my name down for the next available copies of these issues for sale on the website above, but it might well be some time before they become available.

Has anyone got copies of these issues they want to sell/scan? Or know where some might be for sale?

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2010, 09:50:33 pm »

I found this tiny picture at the bottom of an old MAP plans listing..

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2010, 06:51:55 pm »

Many thanks - the best quality version I've seen for a long time. I think that is the original listing I saw back in 1979/80.

I arrived back in the UK today, winter weather ideal for some inside work on the model. I will start interior fit-out work in the next few days.

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2010, 09:02:02 pm »

Back in the UK now and have been working on Slalome. I've cut out the deck pieces and coaming alternations. I've also built the subframe that will have the batteries, ESC, servos all attached to it and installed in the hull as a single unit. The battery sits in a compartment for the purpose and can be removed on its own though. Wiring will be cable tied to the subframe, I've saved some pictures from posts on this forum of some very neat installations to give me some ideas on how to arrange things.

I'm working up to the delicate soldering job to install the noise suppression gear. Once that is done I will get everything working and tested prior to disassembly for painting. The hull still needs some work on the exterior to get it just right.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2010, 09:10:25 pm »

The rockets would have given the helmsman a drastic haircut and a nasty case of sunburn if they were ever fired! Still, those were the days of Dan Dare...

Colin

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2011, 01:21:46 am »

Today I received scans of a 3 article series written by Vic Smeed about the design and build of the prototype Slalome from a very helpful ebay seller, who sent me scans of the articles from Model Maker magazine in December 1962, January 1963 and June 1963. I have been looking for copies of these articles for several months.  In the articles Vic Smeed describes his criteria for the Slalome design. He also describes the build of the prototype, saying that it had received compliments from builders for its performance and manoeuvrability and that a copy of the plan had even been featured in an Iron Curtain modelling magazine! I have found the articles of historical interest and look forward to comparing notes when I get my example on the water shortly.

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2011, 02:41:56 pm »

An update on the Slalome rebuild - the top image shows the trial fitment of the RC gear and battery which is mounted on a ply 'floor' which is held in with locating lugs and a bolt that screws into the reinforcement around the rudder post. Still a bit of work to get it just right.

The exterior has been sanaded down again as I was not quite happy with the finish. In particular some work was needed at the bow before the new chine strips (now fitted and visible in the picture) could be attached. Now I need to do the soldering and install the noise suppression gear - a job I have been putting off as I don'twant to mess it up! I will finish by the end of the week, and then the hull can be painted and sea trials can commence!

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2011, 11:23:23 pm »

Hi all, I completed the soldering of the wiring onto the noise reduction choke board tonight, and am making progress on the rest of the interior fit-out. Next is the rudder linkage and then connect everything up while charging batteries for a trial in the bath to see whether it all works! I am not very experienced at soldering, so am hoping the connections are OK! More photos soon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.