Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rebuild - 'Slalome' by Vic Smeed  (Read 29691 times)

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Rebuild - 'Slalome' by Vic Smeed
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2011, 08:59:26 pm »

Apologies, wasn't a very good photo. Better one is here...

Use one of these. You get a male and a female for 42p...

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2011, 10:53:42 pm »

One thing I forgot to mention earlier was that my Viper ESC has a push-button for set-up. The push-button was not very obvious and I think this partly sorted my previous problem with reverse and setting up ESC. The remainder was down to my motor being partially seized due to 25 years of inactivity.

With this type the set-up button needs to be pushed and for 2 sec afterwards move throttle lever fully forward and fully back so it remembers settings. While it is more difficult to find (button is not obvious, especially if told that ESC is in set-up mode when switched on as some other models do this without a push-button). However it is more convenient when already set up, as the settings are more resistant to accidental change than non push-button models which can have settings accidentally changed if throttle lever is moved in first 2 seconds after being switched on.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2011, 12:02:18 am »

Use one of these. You get a male and a female for 42p...

Whoops, sorry - just noticed I have not included the url on my last mssage - here it is:

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/30cm-servo-extension-p-211.html

If it's not a JR servo connector, here is a Futaba connector for the same price...

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/30cm-futaba-servo-extension-p-403615.html

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2011, 09:23:26 pm »

Excellent, just the ticket!

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2011, 10:00:11 pm »

Nice job Boz
I've still got the model rocket (just the one sadly) if you want to have a go at seeing how it might look, let me know.

Phil
Steamed up all the time

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2011, 10:44:43 am »

...if you want to have a go at seeing how it might look, let me know.

Yes, seeing a Salome with the pair of rockets on the back as originally designed would satisfy one of my lifetime aspirations...

(I have never had soaring ambitions... {:-{ )

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2011, 04:10:16 pm »

The Giantcod site posted by Dodgy has excellent stuff, reasonably priced. I'll be definitely using it in future.

Phil, thank you for the offer, but as 2 missiles are required I will scratch-build both of them using dowel and ply according to the plan. Am ordering some bits and pieces (dowel of appropriate size, more 1/8" square section etc) for missile build.

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2011, 08:55:50 pm »

Conducted more sea trials yesterday. My wife even brought some champagne for a ceremonial launching! As I said the powertrain is not going to result in a fast vessel, so I placed a GPS in the vessel and tried it at top speed, and recorded a top speed of 2.1mph, which won't break any speed records! The photo shows Slalome at almost full chat. It looks to me as though she needs more ballast in the back, as the bow is ploughing through the water. The brass rod bow protector (installed as her original role was as a straight runner) won't be helping. There are ways to get a bit more speed out of her; the battery negative earth wire should improve things, as could a 7.2v battery instead of a 6v. Eventually I am going to get a more efficient prop. I don't want to change things too much, but make her a little more lively. Handling is excellent and she turns with alacrity due to to the manoeuvrable hull form and the large rudder.

I still haven't got the materials for the missiles yet, but when I get a moment I'll get it all ordered!

boaterbill

« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2011, 04:25:23 am »

Nice work there, Boz. It's good to see a classic boat design - by none other than Vic Smeed - brought back to life. More pictures would be nice when you get a chance.

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2011, 03:35:34 pm »

Thanks, great to know others are interested in the design too.

I'm about to start work on it again. The next stage will be the missiles and rejigging the running gear to get the balance point further towards the rear.

I'll get some more photos up too.

Boz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2011, 06:38:48 pm »

More Photos:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.