Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1930 Daring  (Read 2338 times)

pneumatician

1930 Daring
« on: November 08, 2009, 04:44:34 pm »

Thanks for the lead to view Bluebirds Build of the 1/72 Daring.  Some good ideas there.  
First resulting Query. The plating definition on the Deans Hull moulding is not  very good so the idea f plating the hull over the fibreglass moulding sounds good.  I notice some reccomend copier paper, Is this normal PC Printer Paper ?? if so what would the best adhesive to use on fibreglass Gel coat.
I have yet to research Lithoplate availability.
Second query.  Portholes as this model is 1/96 and has 160 of them  I rather fancied the idea of the brass tube ready glazed. Are there other ideas to produce glazed transparent ports that can be reccomended.

Thanking you in anticipation, no doubt lots more questions soon.

Steve  

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: 1930 Daring
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 05:41:30 pm »

Hi there Steve

First may I ask you a question - are you going to rub down the hull so that you remove all traces of the original plating?   If you are - you may be giving yourself some hard work.  However, it does depend upon how good or bad the original plating is.  The copier paper I used was straight from the printer attached to the computer - and that was used to represent the thinner of the plates, the outer of the plates I used a card which is used for craft making - this card was used to represent the outer plates or the plates which stick out further in the hull.    If you are doing this method, one thing which does work well - if you spray the card and paper first with Halfords grey primer - this prevents you from getting black marks and stickiness on the paper and it also makes it a lot easier to handle.

To glue the card to the hull, I used UHU contact adhesive.  EVOSTIK or BOSTIK would both do the same job.

The hull, by the way, which I made did have an outerfinish of fibre glass/polyester resin and the plates still havent come off since I built it.     :-))   When I had finished plating the hull, I gave it several coatings of grey paint along with several coats of satin varnish to seal it well.   

Did I make 160 portholes - aye I did that  :-)) - phew.....the way I did that was to cut brass tubing into lengths of 1/4" using a mini pipe cutter (you can purchase them pipe cutters from modelling shop) line all the cut out tubes onto a piece of plywood held with double sided tape and then I mixed clear epoxy resin up - filled them all up with that. I find this method makes the best portholes.  :-))

aye
john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

pneumatician

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 11:53:05 am »

Thanks for the help John,
At least with my portholes being 2/3 the size I will use less epoxy.  I was hoping it might be possible to line up the plate overlay with the existing outlines.
I am looking for detail pictures of superstructure armnament etc to extract detail information I cannot pinch of your boat. Can I ask where you sourced your info.
My Drawing shows location of locker. guns etc but no detail info.

Deans have offered to replace the missing kit instructions for a few quid perhaps some of the info will be in there.   In the meantime I have got to decide what will be working other than the rudder,motors and ligfhts.  Should I rotate Turrets, Torpedo Tubes etc.  If so I have to design the wiring and install hardware into the hull. Perhaps is best done prior to plating for exterior damage limitation.

Steve

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 06:30:29 pm »

hi there Steve

the drawing I was working from came from Norman Ough's plans.   I do know that these plans are not available at the moment and for the life of me I cannot recall which Trust is holding them.   They are, though, due to be re-released (along with a load of other plans).   No doubt someone on the Forum will be able to give details of the Trust who are holding all the Plans of David MacGregor.

aye
john
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 06:34:33 pm »

David Macgregor plans were left in his will to The Great Britain Trust in Bristol. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 07:08:19 pm »

David Macgregor plans were left in his will to The Great Britain Trust in Bristol.

Who are not at this time offering them for sale unfortunately.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.