Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lest we forget......  (Read 3080 times)

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
Lest we forget......
« on: November 11, 2009, 11:08:01 am »

With thanks to those that have seved, are serving and those that have paid the ultimate price for defending our freedoms.

For The Fallen

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
    England mourns for her dead across the sea.
    Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
    Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
    Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
    There is music in the midst of desolation
    And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
    Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
    They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
    They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
    They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
    They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
    They sleep beyond England's foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
    Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
    To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
    As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
    Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
    As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
    To the end, to the end, they remain.

Laurence Binyon 1914

Not a big deal in Sweden but as an expat I always take a few minutes of quiet contemplation.

barryfoote

Re: Lest we forget......
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 11:39:34 am »

If only it was a big thing across the world, just maybe we would have a more peaceful planet....

Thanks for that......

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 12:24:10 pm »

mmmm - same sentiment's from OZ ....lest we forget ........... in reflection today especially for our members serving now again in far off lands................Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

steamboatmodel

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 01:36:29 pm »

Lest We Forget.

In Flanders Fields
by John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Author Unknown~
It's the Military, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It's the Military, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It's the Military, not the politicians that ensures our right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. It's the Military who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag.
If you care to offer the smallest token of recognition and appreciation for the military, please pass this on and pray for our men and women who have served and are currently serving our country and pray for those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for freedom.
Regards,
Gerald

Mi Amigo

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 02:37:13 pm »

richtea

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 04:49:05 pm »

Now there are no living veterans of WW1 in this country,the 1st world war has passed into history.
May we never forget the sacrifices that those men made, and the generations that followed
and fought in WW2 are also fading into history.Today we take for granted the freedom's so
bravely fought for and won by our parents and grandparents generation.
May we never forget.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 07:01:19 pm »

At the going down of the sun
and in the morning
We SHALL rember them
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Roger in France

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 07:13:00 pm »

I too always attempt to pay my respect and stand witness to the gratitude I feel to all those who have and continue to make sacrifices that I may live my life in a free and civilised way.

This morning my wife and I went to our local, tiny memorial where flags of many French veterans associations were lowered in respect. The Mayor honoured long serving combatants and both our local police and fire service staff paraded.

OK it was typically French.....the last post was severely off key, we trooped down to the village hall afterwards behind a van from the Parks Department playing military music from two precariously balanced loudspeakers on the back. We then all enjoyed a "vin d'honour" and a chat. But we were there and there was much silent thought about those who had perished or who still suffer.

Lyn and I went for a car ride into the country after and walked the dog. Each small commune through which we passed had the French Tricolour proudly flying and within 10kms. of where we lived there were three other ceremonies running rather later than that which we attended.

Sadly, this year I found the Albert Hall "Festival of Remembrance" difficult to take. I think the British Legion need to stop trying so hard to appeal to the young by turning part of it into a pop festival and concentrate on it being a celebration of sacrifice and bravery. It is not entertainment and should be about serious reflection, giving respect to our troops and those who support them. Mawkish sentimentalism and shallow tear jerking is quite inappropriate.

(I await the hail of disagreement and criticism!).

Roger in France

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 07:16:18 pm »

Yes, it is right to remember and reflect. I have visited many of the WW1 and WW2 battlefield cemeteries in France and abroad and without exception they are very moving. Verdun is something else again.

But it is old men who instigate wars and young men who fight them. Kipling summed it up perfectly:

'If any question why we died,
Tell them, because our fathers lied.'

Colin

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 09:44:59 pm »

I was in a large shopping centre here in Sydney at 11 am yesterday when the Last Post was played through the Centre speakers. It was pleasing to note that most people stopped and were silent during the time the bugle was sounding. It was interesting to note that of the few that didn't stop, most were of non-European descent.

Peter.

Bradley

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 10:27:59 pm »

I agree with Roger as regards the 'Festival of Remembrance' and he echoes my thoughts about it exactly.  Some years ago, along with friends, I visited some of the First World War memorials in France and found it a very moving experience.  At the Canadian memorial at Vimy Ridge it started to thunder and it sounded just as though we were back in the battle and it brought a lump to my throat.  The memorials are all impressive and, may I say 'beautiful' but when you think of all the poor lads who perished I wonder if it was worth it when I think of what we have today.  The same goes for the World War 2 memorials and the thousands of graves above the 'Overlord' beaches and elsewhere in Europe.  I thank God that in my National Service with the Royal Marines I did not have to go into battle but my thoughts go out to those that have done and continue to do.
Derek.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 10:42:02 pm »

Do the Germans have an equivelant of our "Poppy Day"?  I hope they do. Many of their dead were just the ordinary guys like ours...brainwashed into "friend or foe".
Our "Festival of Remembrance"  is rightly concerned with the fallen from those fighting from within the then "Empire", some thought could be given to those families in Germany whose lives were equally devastated through no fault of therir own.
I would like to think that the prayers for "our" fallen would also apply to those opposing us at the time.  Bryan Young.
Notes from a simple seaman

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 11:52:14 pm »

I totaly agree
the festival of remeberance is now turning into a concert and a farce watching I felt I was watching a concert similar to the proms
do we need people standing and clapping after every word >:-o
it is a remeberance festival it is OK to have a song or 2 in a form of remeberance like this years
3 soldiers and their song it was in keeping with the festival but it is all the others

BUT I would look to who is actually making the changes is it the Legion or the BBC
2 years ago the BBC tried to change the format for the Edinburgh Military tattoo and we told exactly where to go and how to get there
they then tried to change the way they showed it and it was PANTS!!!
Last year it went back to the tried and trusted format which works

So lets not blame the Legion until we know who is running the show :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 12:32:57 am »

It has been said that nobody wins in a war, and that's true to some extent, the ordinary person certainly doesn't, on either side. As Bryan rightly pointed out, most German soldiers were only fighting because their leaders told them to, as did ours.

Having said that, what is the alternative to an aggressive country trying to invade us, or any of our friends? When the talking fails, we have to defend ourselves.

World War One was touted as "the war to end all wars", and we all know how that worked.....or not. 20 years later, the world was at it again. We can only hope that our current leaders have learned from past mistakes....can't we???

Peter.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 09:41:29 am »

We can only hope that our current leaders have learned from past mistakes....can't we???

Peter.

If only that were true. Britain and other foreign nations have been losing wars and personnel in Afghanistan, with no longterm improvements, since 1839. We (or at least our politicians) seem to learn nothing from history - assuming, that is, that they are even aware of it.

On another but related topic, when did the practice of servicemen (and RBL standard bearers) wearing headdress in church or during religious services come in. Certainly during my years of service, it was "Fall out the Roman Catholics and Jews!", closely followed by "Off Caps!".

Rick

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 10:52:43 am »

I agree Rick, politicians never seem to learn from history. Australia has also lost men in Afghanistan and other places, young men who are "serving their country". Pardon me if I appear cynical, but dying in the Afghan desert seems a bizarre way of serving one's country....but what do I know?

Peter.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 06:41:08 pm »

Dear W3bby,

It's always that fourth verse that get's to me... just very poignant.

Re the Albert Hall, I have to say I agree with Roger. Best to keep the PR people out of it... the youngsters of today do not understand the real significance of such things these days... can't blame them, they are not taught anything about it, so hardly surprising. They see an old or modern WW2 film, and that's all it is... a film... mind you, how many know much about the Boer War etc., etc.......... Old wars never die, they just fade away... like the brave of both sides who didn't want to be in any of them but had to be...

Regards, Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.