Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BB housing on drive shaft - howto fix?  (Read 2340 times)

Jani

BB housing on drive shaft - howto fix?
« on: November 12, 2009, 10:07:36 pm »

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking guidance on drive shaft issue. I have set of Raboesch 301-07 shafts (http://www.deansmarine.co.uk/shop/product_info.php/cPath/35_46/products_id/1138).

On the motor end they feature a ballbearing housing, which I found to be loose on all four shafts. This is likely to let the customer adjust the length accordingly. Since I have no prior experience on these matters, I turn to you, good hobbyists here, on how exactly is this supposed to be fixed to the tube? Epoxy? Silver soldering? something else?

I'm pretty sure that they're not supposed to be left loose, as I imagine they may seep through water unless somehow sealed and bonded/welded/(other). If this is not the case, please let me know in that case as well :)

Cheers,

^Jani

andyn

Re: BB housing on drive shaft - howto fix?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 10:16:21 pm »

Soft solder do them nicely if you use a hot soldering iron. Failing that you can use epoxy but not quite as good.

Jani

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 03:08:13 am »

Soft solder do them nicely if you use a hot soldering iron. Failing that you can use epoxy but not quite as good.

Cheers!

I was little worried about the effects of heat on the self-lubricating bearings and G-seals, but if it's not an issue, I will definitely soft solder them.

Thank's Andyn!

andyn

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 09:33:46 am »

You can just knock the bearings out gently and replace them when you've soldered the shaft. Metal bearings don't have any problem with heat, but it might be worth doing it for the O rings as they're most likely not high temp viton ones. There's a pic on the page there showing that it all can be removed.

Those shafts are developed from what us IC people have been using for many years, see pic.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 10:45:43 am »

Metal bearings DO have a problem with heat one it gets rid of the oil in them and if they are not stainless can start rust plus the flux is acid based and needs to be washed away  and a lot of modern bearings have Teflon shields that melt  so push them out before you solder.

also look at http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6401.0

Andyn   how many have you solder that way ?

andyn

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 06:19:21 pm »

You can just knock the bearings out gently and replace them when you've soldered the shaft.

The bearings in the shafts I use are oilless, they are fed by grease that has to be forced in with a gun through the one way valve on the top.

I've soldered two this way, plus the skegs that come with them. Was told to do this by our club metalman.

Jani

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 08:22:29 am »

Okay, given that the bearings are self-lubricating, I think I will pick the safer (epoxy) alternative - now that I still haven't gone ahead and done that.

Being new to this I think I can make a dumb question - what is "IC" in this context?  :embarrassed:

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 08:25:25 am »

IC internal combustion engine   GLOW or petrol

ring or email deans marine they will advise you .

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.