Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody built a Bait Boat?  (Read 43524 times)

fredsat

Re: Bait Boat ?!
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008, 07:00:25 pm »

Ah HA  fellow Carp fisherman 3 of us on here now  O0

Stavros

I live to fish but i do not use bait boats i am just makeing one for someone  O0

Hagar

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 08:47:57 pm »

Make that 4 carp fishermen!
Having just modded a bait boat, I sort of got bitten by the bug and am thinking of building one from scratch.
So if you still have those plans, RipSlider, could I have a look at them too?
I sort of have a few ideas my self, and one of them is way outside the box! More about that if it makes it off the chocks!

Dazzler

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 11:10:41 pm »

Make that 5! ;D O0

Hagar

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 12:03:56 pm »

,,,Hi Stevie...

How about a GRP Springer hull for use as a Bait Boat...

We can mould one if required...For a Fee, Of Course...

...Best Regards...Norry...

How big hull and how big a fee???

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 11:47:31 am »

...Hi Hagar...

Sorry for the eelay in answering your query...I,ve just got back on board...

Standard Springer Tug size...18" Long x 8" Beam...

Fee is £20.00 plus £7 postage & packing...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2008, 09:36:05 pm »

Bait Boat topics merged.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
Re: Anybody built a Bait Boat?
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2008, 09:45:30 pm »

LABen

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2009, 06:44:27 pm »

Another carp angler here looking to start on the quest of building a bait boat!

I am looking into making a cat-style boat using bilge pumps in either side for propulsion. If anyone has any plans or information that may help with building a cat-style bait boat (preferably with twin hoppers in middle) then I would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Ben

Edit: Just to add that I am considering making the side floats out of styrofoam. Has anyone done this before? If so, how easy is it to use and waterproof? Would you recommend any other material for sides instead??

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2009, 11:38:08 pm »

We've shifted a few P94 units to chaps making bait boats. This might provide food for thought as it uses a 2-channel radio:
http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/Bait%20Boat%20Version%202%20.pdf
The pumps are Rule 12v bilge pumps - I forget the actual flow rate.
Suit yourself.
FLJ

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2009, 09:39:09 am »

Another carp angler here looking to start on the quest of building a bait boat!

I am looking into making a cat-style boat using bilge pumps in either side for propulsion. If anyone has any plans or information that may help with building a cat-style bait boat (preferably with twin hoppers in middle) then I would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Ben

Edit: Just to add that I am considering making the side floats out of styrofoam. Has anyone done this before? If so, how easy is it to use and waterproof? Would you recommend any other material for sides instead??

Pumps are ok but very heavy on the Batteries - Later today I'll post some pic's of boats I've built for differet people - including my own.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2009, 09:42:48 am »

I have a set that I can send you. They are in fact a set of "normal" plans which have been altered to b a bait boat.

I think carrying capacity is about 3kg but you can pobably increase this easily enough. You'll need radio gear etc, but it'll still be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying one from the tackle shop.

I'll say to the rest of the readers of this forum - just in case they start to spit on me - that the plans are a hand over from a friend - I have never used, and never will use - a bait boat.

If you PM me your address I'll send them to you.

( But - and this is a big BIG ***BIG*** but - you must realise that the spinning noise that you hear when you use the monstority in the future is Izzak Walton spinning in his grave. Use of Bait Boats = torturing the dead - FACT )

Steve

<<Sorry to all non-anglers for discussion of fishing >>

Still using Split cane rods & Quill floats {-) {-) {-)

Strike one for another Angler - & yes I have a bait boat & I've converted & fitted a long range Fish Finder to it!   wizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

LABen

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2009, 10:47:55 am »

It would be great to see pics of end products Turbulent. Do you have any plans for catamarans at all??
Has anyone made one using styrofoam for side floats??
Cheers for that wiring info FLJ.Plenty of food for thought there!
Any thoughts on alternate propulsion? I need something that will be powerful enough to move boat plus 2-3kg of bait. Doesn't need to be fast as I assume if you go too powerful you will probably spook the fish? Also need to take into account weeds, so I think this would rule out standard propellors.
Ben

LABen

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2009, 10:07:08 am »

Hi all. Having a good research night last night. Been after plans or ideas on designing a cat-style bait boat and came across this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c8WTwMv9KU   Hope your French is OK! Although the pictures are self-explanatory!

Got a few questions though that I could do with answering:

Would it be better with styrofoam instead of polystyrene? Would it make any difference?
What motor (or other propullsion) /ESC/ battery would be best to use for the job?

Ben

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2009, 02:12:29 pm »

Got a few questions though that I could do with answering:

Would it be better with styrofoam instead of polystyrene? Would it make any difference?

Styrofoam and polystyrene are the same thing.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Styrofoam

LABen

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2009, 09:07:33 pm »

Great. Cheers for the English lesson toesupwa! Learn something new everyday!!
Now that is sorted, what propullsion would people recommend? I'm assuming a 500 or 540 motor (any recommendations)?? Also, considering the Mtroniks ECO 27. Would this be up to the job? What battery would be needed for this sort of setup?
Thanks for your help all
Ben

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2009, 01:09:20 am »

Now that is sorted, what propullsion would people recommend?

You need to decide on the size of your boat and its design first...
Once you have a hull size and shape... and its weight carrying capacity, then motors follow those..

LABen

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2009, 09:53:58 am »

This is the type of boat and very similar design to what I will be making:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c8WTwMv9KU

It will be made out of styrofoam covered in fibreglass. Still debating on materials for the bait hoppers. The hoppers will be designed in a similar way to ones shown in video, but they will be mounted lower so that they don't stick out of top as much. It will be designed to carry maximum of 2 kilos of bait. Any ideas??  :-)

nickg

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2009, 11:43:32 am »

Anyone wishing to find out more about the current bait boats on the market might want to take a look at this site, it has videos of each model too http://www.comparebaitboats.com

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2012, 08:12:51 pm »

Via email to Mayhem...

Hi Martin,

I hope this email finds you well!

In fear of you having been asked this question 1000 times before I shall
keep it brief!

I am looking at ways of either modifying and existing 'kit build' or
alternatively seek an experienced boat modeller to help me with an
idea/concept that I have occupying my mind!

As a carp angler, I can no longer ignore or 'shy away' from the fact the
more and more people are now using "bait boats" to aid their fishing
method in order to accurately drop both their bait and rig (line and
hook) precisely in their desired spot on waters. This also allows them
to fish what would normally be an impossible place to cast to i.e.
underneath overhanging trees, tight spots etc. It IS probably THE most
precise way of fishing now and one that many 'model manufacturers' have
latched onto by now mass producing "bait boats" ranging anywhere from
£500 upto £3,000!.  I may be TOTALLY wrong here and underestimating the
engineering capacity required to make such a vessel which is partly why
I am looking for an independent point of view from an expert who is not
'immersed' in the sport of carp fishing!

As I say, I shall keep this as brief as possible, however if this sounds
of any interest to you, or you would like to see some sketches of my
'concepts' then please do feel free to either respond to this email
address, or alternatively you can reach me on my mobile day or evenings
on - please reply to this post.

Many Thanks Martin and I look forward to receiving your reply!

Kindest Regards
Wayne

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2012, 09:18:00 pm »

As a layman who does not fish. I have a few thoughts. surely the idea of fishing is skill and knowledge? Not whos got the best bait boat, Fish finder Etc. Just because one person does it mean all fishermen should? This idea means we should all speed as a few do. Thoughts would be welcomed. John. 

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2012, 09:52:46 pm »

A bait boat is just another tool in the fisherman's armoury, it requires a specific skill to use it well. I have a bait boat & used it to fish a 46 acre lake for 4 years in order to catch 1 specific fish. The fish used to inhabit an island around 270 yards from the nearest bank & a bait boat was the only option to get a bait to them, but without a lifetimes experience in fishing, the boat would have had little effect on the outcome.

Is it any different from boat modellers using a computerised transmitter to optimise their setting, surely it could be argued that you should not require EPA, servo reverse, mixing etc, to set up a boat if its built correctly?

There are so many wonderful boat kits available now, but if you compare two identical kits built by modellers of differing abilities, its usually clear who was the better modeller.

Thats just my view, a bait boat is a tool which, when used correctly, allows opportunities that are unavailable without a bait boat, & most importantly, used irresponsibly they can be a great danger to the fish & the fishermen.

Glenn
The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

wibplus

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2012, 10:56:34 pm »

I recently repaired a baitboat for a mate and I have to say, for the £600 he paid for it, the quality was really rubbish.

The upper bodyshell (superstructure) was made of very thin plastic which did not properly support the operation of the bait doors which were opened by very strong springs. Because the springs were so strong, the doors flew open with great enthusiasm and the result was damage to the aforementioned thin plastic and it had shattered around the hinge mountings.

I had to reinforce the plastic with styrene sheet and then remake the hinge points within the reinforced area. The original plastic, being pitifully thin, had broken away leaving the hinges useless.

For £600 I could have made him a boat that would have outlasted him and then some. (And still beer money left over from the build).  O0 O0  ;)

offshore1987

• Full Mayhemer
  • Good to be back
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2012, 01:07:06 pm »

Have had this talk with many lake owners down here in the south, most say they wont even let you use one, and the ones that will say it has to be a proper one not a home built boat, time and time again iv seen bait boats go off to just end up drifting out in the middle of the lake to then have 3/4 people casting heavy leds out to try and hook the things back  <*<

I am dam sure that for £200 you could make something thats proper and would be perfect for all lakes and conditions, its just a boat with a door or tiper tray after all. One day later on i will be making one because like said before, the ones that i have seen for sale new are not very good ( they work but not great )

Some of the new ones are going 5/6 knots!! they leave a dirty great whole and wake when steaming around the lake  >:-o for me this a big no no, its got to make nearly no noise at all, not leave a wake bigger than that of a duck, and not "xxxxx" people off

To me a cat is the way to go, with a flat deck, and a tiper or pusher to dump the end tackle and ground bait, keep it simple and you can not go wrong  :-))

Dan

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2012, 08:41:10 am »

I'm afraid I don't hold with bait boats, and I'm blowed if I see the need to fish at those huge distances in freshwater. When I was a keen eel angler, I very rarely used to fish a bait at more than 10 yards out, all of my big eels came from areas under the rod tip(literally right under the rod tip)and during those years of eel fishing I had my fair share of big carp and pike grabbing a bait meant for a big eel. I once had a 20lb+ carp pick up a dead frog as I lowered the bait into the water, it never had the chance to touch the bottom.

Beach fishing is a totally different ball game, sometimes you do need to fish at extreme range...I had a series of casting lessons from the master himself, Alan Yates, he taught me to put a bait out to well in excess of 200yards, but there again, I would always fish with two rods...one at range and one in the surf line. My best ever bass and my best ever cod both came to the baits fished in the surf line...

If the carp/pike/whatever species you are after are seen at range, why not tempt them in closer? Half a loaf of bread crust dropped into the margins will pull carp in from distance if you do it right, they will be able to locate the bread by smell and will follow the scent trail in. Use a different attractor for pike, or in my case eels....I would make up a disgusting mix of mashed up mackerel, herring or any oily fish, fresh blood from our local abbatoir, chunks of tinned meat and breadcrumbs to hold it together. Dropped in the margins both side of where I was fishing, this would attract all sorts of fish in from all over the lake.

You won't need heavy leads either, just a hook attached to the main line...you won't need those horrible bleeping buzzing devices to tell you a fish has picked your bait, you can see the fish take the crust off the surface. I did buy a pair of bite alarms once...used them once...and put them in the cupboard, where they stayed. Night fishing...not a problem, just wrap a piece of silver paper around the line where it leaves the reel, when a fish grabs the bait the silver paper will catch in the rod rings and the rustling noise it makes lets you know  that something is happening. If it's windy, then pull off a yard or two of line from the reel and trap the silver paper under a stone...it will pull out when you get a take and rustle away in the rod rings.

Just my thoughts...

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.