Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Cal Mac "Isle of Mull" Ferry  (Read 22647 times)

jcarse

Cal Mac "Isle of Mull" Ferry
« on: November 13, 2009, 01:22:09 pm »

We are currently working on a project here in Oban funded by the European Social Fund, working with the local unemployed.  This project is to construct a 1:30 scale model, from scratch, of the "Isle of Mull" ferry which runs between Oban and Craignure on Mull.  We're building this in Fibreglass and are currently making the mould, the wooden plug being finished a week or so ago.  It is our intention to have as many working parts as possible on this vessel and we are open to advice on how to make these moving parts work, e.g. the bow doors  and the stabilisers, as well as any other help anybody can give.  I'll be posting some photos shortly, once I get them reduced.  Meanwhile anybody can reach me on my Council email address: jcarse@argyll-bute.gov.uk

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cal Mac "Isle of Mull" Ferry
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 01:30:21 pm »

1/30th scale, what is the overall size of the model?  Sounds like an interesting project. Plenty of CalMac enthusiats here.
..well can you land on this?

jcarse

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 01:34:27 pm »

The length of the boat is 3.3 Mtrs...about 11' 3"....like a big upside down bath at the moment!!  We reckon it will come in at something in the region of 200 - 300 Lbs in weight.  There's not a lot of it under the water, so ballasting will have to be kept as low as possible....we're open to any suggestions!!

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 01:46:25 pm »

So it is just about big enough to be a "manned model" , any plans in that direction?

jcarse

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 01:55:46 pm »

Absolutely none!!  It'll be controlled by 2 persons, one operating the direction and speed and the other operating the ancillary stuff.

It's a 2 year project finishing on 1st April 2011, funded to the tune of £243,000.00 by ESF and various other bodies.  This sum includes wages for 30 unemployed persons being employed at 6 month intervals under the Governments New Deal programme.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 02:14:59 pm »

Sound s like a winning scheme :-))  The manned model would extend the training to ship handling and navigational skills etc. Check the Warsash Training Centre in England and Port Revel in France.  Would have to be a bit bigger though, say 20ft oal.

jcarse

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 02:30:39 pm »

Yes, so far it's been a great project, we have a materials budget of around £26.000, which anybody reading this would die for, to have that amount of money to spend on a model.....what we're lacking is the knowledge of what's available to us in the way of electronics, so if anybody can help............. {:-{

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 03:27:31 pm »

I think an invitation to some of the Scottish model boat clubs might be fruitful. There are a couple in Glasgow , Greenock, Largs etc that have all the experience needed. Many members from these clubs are on Mayhem and I`m sure will assist.  Radio(s) should be 2.4gHz and servos heavy duty metal geared types.  Why not invite clubs for a day out, they would love to nip up to Oban for a natter and a look at the hull. Your budget is amazing. We need pictures of course.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 05:17:09 pm »

This sounds really interesting.

For main propulsion why not think of electric outboard(s), they will sit inside a boat that size, and, have the speed control included. Plus a big added extra is the large batteries needed for endurance will provide some serious ballast.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

jcarse

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 02:10:31 pm »

I'm not so sure about the outboard engine suggestion.....were looking at two engines, each slightly more powerful than those used on the old Sinclair C5, with an output of around 300W.  The propellers are a problem, according the drawings, once scaled down  the diameter is 60mm (4 Bladed), I'm reliably informed that this is way to small and we need 90 - 95mm, however, 60mm is all we have room for between the centreline of the shaft and the hull, we can angle the engines a bit more but it's not going to make a great deal of difference.

The modelling clubs suggestion is a super idea and I'll get on to that this week.  As far as the photos are concerned I'm having trouble reducing the size, as soon as I can get them reduced I'll upload them, hopefully this week.

Bradley

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 02:29:23 pm »

Can I suggest 'PIXresizer', obviously for resizing photos.  I now use it as a result of it being mentioned in another listing and I find it easy to use and 'it does just what it says on the tin'.   :-))
Derek.

jcarse

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 10:21:51 am »

Unfortunately using a Council Computer has its drawbacks!!  We can't download any software from any outside source and many of the Websites available to me are restricted, I even had to apply for permission to access Mayhem!!  What I've done is to reduce the photos by emailing them to my home address and reducing them there and email them back to my Council computer......!!  phew!!  So I should have some up by the end of the week.  Thanks for your advice.

jcarse

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 12:26:27 pm »

Some Pics ...at last!!

jcarse

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 12:40:17 pm »

Even More Pics!!.......Anyone any ideas on how to make the bow doors work??....they're hinged on the foredeck, would like to keep it that way if possible and they're in 2 stages, the bow lifts up and the internal door which acts as the ramp comes down....any suggestions would be welcome!!  Will be posting some pics of the stabilisers, another thorn in the flesh!!!

jcarse

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 12:48:09 pm »

Nearly forgot....many thanks to Derek for suggesting Pixresizer..super piece of Software and as he says, it does what it says on the can!!  Many thanks Derek!!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 04:42:57 pm »

Just a thought
Will it go out the door
or is there a big door behind the cameraman?

Yours Aye

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

jcarse

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 09:44:25 pm »

Yes!....... a big set of double doors!!

jcarse

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 09:38:00 pm »

Some new pics on progress of the ferry.........a hull is born!!

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 10:07:20 pm »

Looking very professional.  Carbon fibre there too, dont forget it may cause radio problems by masking the signal. presume one of the guys is of small stature and will be doing the testing...on board.  Keep us up-dated on progress.  You may get requests from the tuggers for a hull for towing comps !

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 10:54:15 pm »

...Hi Guys...

What have you done with the mould now that your hull is born...We could certyainly use a hull that size for our Tug-Towing Competitions...We work on the scale of 1/32 so there wont be much difference...

I am a member of Glasgow Richmond Model Boat Club and you would be welcome to visit us for a cuppa and chat about your project...
We have a very experienced engineering squad in our club...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

nsa66

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 09:30:06 am »

Would love to know how things are progressing with the build.

Incidentally, regarding such things as door lifting mechanisms etc. you should have enough room to install a basic hydraulic system.  You wouldn't need to use hugely powerful pumps and you should have plenty of reserve ballast capacity for the mechanics, battery etc. I'm thinking perhaps of something based on a car's power steering pump.  Considering the vast range of applications for hydraulics nowadays, this could be valuable experience for anyone interested in a future in engineering. You could try local technology colleges for advice, as well as possible local engineering businesses.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 09:56:46 am »

Interesting "heavy" engineering solutions at that scale seem feasable NSA.  Anybody in Oban know how the project is going ?

meyer

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 10:25:51 am »

Havent heard anything at all about it

sorry

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 12:49:15 pm »

Thanks Meyer, maybe the Lady With Red Shoes is about  :o

jcarse

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 03:40:15 pm »

Sorry guys!!!!.....been off on long term sick, started back yesterday, will get some pics up shortly.....bow doors still a problem!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.