Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Cal Mac "Isle of Mull" Ferry  (Read 22645 times)

jcarse

Re: Cal Mac "Isle of Mull" Ferry
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 04:19:53 pm »

Hi Guys
Sorry it's been so long on an update. With me being off work for about 4 months the project is running behind by about the same, we're still working on the electronics and have the stern doors working and the inner bow doors, the engines and steering are both installed and working.  The engines are brushless Robbe Outrunners, tiny in size but extremely powerful, the props are 95mm four bladed.  I'm assured by Willie at the Paisley Model Centre that these are more than adequate to run the boat at 5/6 knots.  Because of the skills base we are using we decided not to go down the hydraulics route for the bow doors but rather use a mechanical system worked by a rack and gear with the travel being controlled by micro switches, the inner doors work well and so should the outer doors which are being hung this week.  Some of the superstructure is made and we hope.  I've attached some pics to show you the progress.  The engines are run through an Action Electronics P40 unit which slows down the inboard engine when turning and the stern doors, although worked by a sail arm are run through an Action Electronics Servo Morph which slows down the servo to a realistic speed, works well.  I have to say a huge thank you to Dave at Action Electronics whose help and advice has been invaluable and once completed the boat will be packed with his bits and pieces.
I know a few of the readers here will frown at the way we've worked the moving parts, but please bear in mind the skills base we are using, so far 8 local unemployed youngsters, with various issues, have been employed on the project at different stages, 5 of these have moved on to full time sustainable employment with local employers and managed to turn around their lives.  This project has given them a considerable amount of confidence and self belief, all in all, so far, it's been a major success.
I've attached some pics of the stage we're currently at and would appreciate any comments.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 05:14:12 pm »

Who cares as long as it works.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

wbeedie

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 07:23:53 pm »

Well said Bob , at least it will work and good to hear about the youngsters getting work as well :-))

hama

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 07:35:49 pm »

Wow, looks great!
A handsome ferry it is as well.
Good luck!
Hama

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2010, 11:20:54 am »

Cracking work there, Can't wait to see her finished & working, A video must for you tube if ever there was one !!!  Also well done you for getting teenagers etc involved, & motivated, pat youself on the back for that alone.
Tell the lads who're helping, they are doing a wounderful job. Keep it up Dan.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 02:09:31 pm »

Good to see you are back on the job and hope you are well again. Rewarding to hear the lads have benefited, give the rest of them that we are all watching and wishing them and the project well. Oh and be sure to make sure "the bosses" know of the boat modelling community are behind this effort 100%. Still got a pile of boat magazines for you !
..well can you land on this?

pioneer

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 12:04:13 am »

Any updates on the progress of your build?

Would be great to see how your getting on.

Regards

Andrew

jcarse

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2011, 08:14:05 am »

It's coming on, well into the superstructure now, being held up waiting on parts....anchors mainly, will post some pics this weekend, looking for someone to do the lettering, signs and logos.........any suggestions???  The weather hasn't helped either....don't suppose I need to tell you that.....-17c here at times, had to send the guys home on a number of days as toilets were frozen up!!!...so falling a bit more behind.

Thanks for the interest

John

Talisman

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2011, 08:44:50 am »

looking for someone to do the lettering, signs and logos.........any suggestions??? 
Thanks for the interest

John

Hi John
I would recommend these guys - very helpful and should be able to do the work for you -
http://www.westcoastgraphics.co.uk/contact.htm

Also, they are Scottish based and probably well aware of the lettering logos etc that you are looking for.

If you speak to the 'Boss' Craig - by all means tell him i recommended them.

Hope that helps,
Kim MacLean

nhp651

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2011, 08:45:31 am »

Contact  a gentleman called Colin Crow at BECC [google them] as the company is already geared up to producing CALEDONIAN McBRAYNE [CALMAC] logos as they do them in varying sizes and have them formatted on disc........his work is superb.....he's done some beautiful one off's for me, and is a very approachable man

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2011, 08:46:03 am »

John, try
             Barry’s Model Lettering
             Unit 80
             Conduit Street
             Leicester
             LE2 0JN
             0116 2756158
             www.modellettering.com
             barry@modellettering.com
for logos and lettering.

Excellent service and very helpful.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

meyer

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2011, 08:47:00 am »

try Richard at CGL in market street

jcarse

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2011, 09:42:01 am »

Thanks Guys.......Super help.

pioneer

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2011, 10:24:31 pm »

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing the pictures of progress so far.

Regards

Andrew

offshore1987

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2011, 10:22:37 pm »

Awesome so far  :-))

jcarse

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2011, 02:24:02 pm »

Thanks for all the positive remarks!!

Have uploaded latest pics of the boat

John

More Coffee

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2011, 03:36:04 pm »

Thats Awesome !!!! :-))

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2011, 05:35:17 pm »

That is coming along nicely, remind us what scale is it ?

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2011, 07:59:26 pm »

This project is to construct a 1:30 scale model,

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2011, 10:10:04 pm »

Thanks Bob.

jcarse

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2011, 09:17:50 am »

The superstructure is being made of very light plasticard, reinforced where necessary with balsa and obeche.........bit worried about stability since she's already floating to her lines with only the batteries and about 20lbs of lead! 
I've attached a couple of pics of a rib which is on board, since we're a bit pushed for time I was hoping to source on of these, but that's proving impossible......anyone know of anywhere....it's about 10" long and can  be quickily fitted out to match the existing, also the deck seating, there's about 380 of these, I thought about making them in fibreglass and using various thicknesses of piano wire and dowelling to sit them on the deck.............unless of course anyone has any other suggestions........!!

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2011, 09:49:04 am »

Dont know about a RIB but the seats can be cast using polyurethane resin in  RTV (room temerature vulcanising) rubber molds. Simple procedure, need one master then multiple molds. Might be useful technique for other multiple items  such as lamps, loudspeakers, life raft containers, doors etc.  Your fibreglass supplier should stock it. Have you considered an add-on non scale keel for stability, remove for static display.

jcarse

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2011, 09:56:42 am »

I'll need to do some research into RTV, sounds good...........and quick!

Thanks

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2011, 10:31:43 am »

...Hi John...

What Beam is the Rib...I have a plastic one that is 16.5 inches Long x 5.5 inches beam...Could probably be  " Cut & Shut" to the correct length...I can send you pictures later...P.M. me your E-Mail Address...

This one is part of a Military PLay Set...Get looking on E-Bay and Toy Shops...Also Car Boot Sales...

I have another smaller one which is 7.5 inches x 4 inches beam...with a flat bottom...could possibly be lengthened to correct length...

If any of these are of use to you I will send it up to you...

...Best Regards...Norry...

...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

nhp651

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2011, 12:56:18 pm »

hi, i've just been moulding some fittings in RTV  T30 rubber from these guys..it is expensive stuff but superb and gives great definition...they also sell polyeurethane resin to.

http://www.tiranti.co.uk/subdivision_product_list.asp?Content=Silicone+Rubber&Subcategory=51&Subdivision=

the T30 is very strong but also very pliable allowing great undercutting of the master.
neil
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.