Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cal Mac "Isle of Mull" Ferry  (Read 22666 times)

More Coffee

Re: Cal Mac "Isle of Mull" Ferry
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2011, 10:58:20 pm »

nhp651

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2011, 09:04:08 am »

that is just amazing......WHAT AM I SPENDING £100 quid a time on silicone rubber when I can do that lol.........I'mm gonna give that a try............look out wifey......I need the kitchen!!!!

jcarse

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2011, 03:46:49 pm »

RTV ...........definately the way to go!! Very quick and easy for our skills base here, thanks to all for their help, will keep you posted and will take some pics of the moulding process.

JC

jcarse

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2011, 10:13:45 am »

Hi Guys

project coming to an end, about a month and we'll be finished, can't post any pics at the moment as the superstructure is off while we tidy up internally and paint the hull and decks.  Colin Crow did a super job with the graphics, would reccommend him to anyone.

It's been super corresponding with everyone and a huge thank you to each and everyone of you for all the help and assistance you've given us...........still looking for a RIB though!!

Will get some pics up of the painting as soon as the superstructure goes back on..............we'll be testing in Oban Bay in a month.....eeeek!!

JC

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2011, 10:40:48 am »

Oh that is good news.  Look forward to pictures .  I would do tests in fresh water first, just in case.  Salt water can be a bstrd with electrics and wiring etc.  It will be a very good build if there isnt a dribble somewhere.
..well can you land on this?

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2011, 11:44:31 am »

...Hi John...

Send me sizes of the RIB that is required and I will have a look in my Bits Box...I have a couple that might be doctored to fit...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

More Coffee

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2011, 12:31:59 pm »

looking forward to seeing the unit.. :-))

jcarse

« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2011, 06:12:27 pm »

Hi Guys

Nearly there!!  Just a few bits and pieces to go on including the lifeboats ,(which are made!) with the exception of the FRC and the signage, about a week I reckon.  Below are some pics of the boat.  We're lacking some passengers........anyone any ideas??

JC

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2011, 07:24:15 pm »

Nae wimmin wae rid shoes {-)...or was that another vessel? :embarrassed:     Looking great , well done the team.  When and where is the launch ?   You will be welcome on Loch Insh  Highland Splash-in, 6 miles south of Aviemore just off the A9 second weekend in Sept, mainly seaplanes and flying boats but model boats welcome.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2011, 07:58:52 pm »

I`ve just had a quick Google for 1:30th figures. This seems to be the scale for Military Modelling and G gauge rail.  Try www.virtualvillage.co.uk

wartsilaone

« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2011, 11:54:10 pm »

Bachmann figures are 1:29 scale Probably the closest you can get. have a look. http://www.bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=scraftg&prod=1

jcarse

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2011, 03:35:45 pm »

Therre's a bit of touching up with the paintwork to do and I know the boat will float heavy.  We have the following working parts:

Engines, Steering, Stabilisers, Bow ramp and Bow visor, anchors, stern doors and stern ramp, lights, radar, sounds and anchors.  e'll be testing in a tank at the yard first and then, probably Oban Bay, early in the morning!!

JC

Subsonuc Mike

• Shipmate
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2011, 07:58:03 pm »

Looking good  :-))

jcarse

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2011, 11:31:51 am »

Hi everybody,

Well that's it......completed and all working, attached some pics of the boat in Oban Bay testing engines and steering etc., all appears to be working fine and nae leaks!!  The boat needs to be trimmed down a bit at the aft end, other than that it's more or less completed, 2 years and a stack of cash!!  My sincere thanks to all on the Forum who helped us, without this help we would have been really stuck on various aspects of the build......so many thanks to all.  Big question is......what next??

We now have a wooden plug and split mould to get rid of, any takers??  The boat is 3.1Mtrs long, needs a long wheel based vehicle for transport.

pugwash

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2011, 12:21:39 pm »

You have done a great job on that  - looks just right on Obay Bay

Geoff

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2011, 12:28:37 pm »

Super, watch that Oban Bay wattur :o  As a matter of interest, what interaction or reaction from CalMac or indeed the builders ?  Is it going to be displayed/sailed anywhere?  Any of the crew taking-up model boating as a hobby ?

Minime

« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2011, 12:41:28 pm »

could you get a video up of all the bits working?
Great work on the boat, a real credit to you and all those who were involved.

jcarse

« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2011, 12:53:46 pm »

Thanks to all for the positive stuff!!!
It looks as though the boat will be gifted to Cal Mac and displayed in their Oban Passenger Terminal.  Once I get the figures I'll let you know what the Job Outcomes were and all the other boring stuff.  I'll be posting a video up onm Utube after the Press Day when there will be more pics!!

Thanks again

JC

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2011, 01:41:37 pm »

I think that the new Riverside Transport Museum in Glasgow should be offered an example of inter-island transport in the Highlands, a feature sadly lacking in the exhibits. ( Also no display of the Scottish drivers in F1 motor racing, Ecurie Ecosse, Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, David Coulthard etc only a rally car of Colin McRae but that is another story. )

wartsilaone

« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2011, 03:49:24 pm »

Great work lads. I'm Looking forward to the video. I really hope you all get jobs out of this, you deserve it. Well done.

Ali.

davidsg1a

« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2011, 01:38:09 pm »

yes there cal mac crew into the hobby, i sailed on her for two years, its a shame the mode might just be sitting in the office, iv been to see the model and its a cracker. it should be passed on to someone that will sail it and show it off. great job lads.

david

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2011, 03:55:37 pm »

I`m inclined to agree, she should be shown and sailed. Shame if it gets stuck in a glass case, it surely isnt that kind of model >
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.