Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 540 motors?  (Read 2285 times)

lozvik

540 motors?
« on: November 13, 2009, 01:27:48 pm »

in my latest bait boat ill probably use twin 540 ish sized motors, can anyone tell me which ones for economy etc plus would like capacitors already installed, speed controllers will prob be viper marine 15, 20 or 25 maybe? where best place to buy, cheers

chingdevil

Re: 540 motors?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 04:54:08 pm »

Action Electronics for the motors, FLJ does not sell Viper esc's but he does sell some very good esc's.

Brian

craftysod

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 10:56:05 pm »

As Brian has said FLJ cannot be faulted,for motors or esc's.
Viper marine esc's can make a loud whine which can scare fish,mine makes a hell of a racket,
thats why its in the drawer

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 11:26:49 pm »

I have several Vipers, and have had no trouble with any of them, not even noise. That said, FLJ's gear is top drawer, I have one of his P94 units, all singing all dancing twin ESC mixer unit, and not much dearer than 2 normal ESCs.

Have a look here http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/mixers.php

Peter.

lozvik

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 07:07:16 am »

I have several Vipers, and have had no trouble with any of them, not even noise. That said, FLJ's gear is top drawer, I have one of his P94 units, all singing all dancing twin ESC mixer unit, and not much dearer than 2 normal ESCs.

Have a look here http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/mixers.php

Peter.

now i come to think of it my viper marine 25 makes that whining sound. I did contact action and he told me id need a p94 and another unit that stops the micro processor from getting fried as i use a 6v sla battery to power rx etc, only thing is it was going to cost about £100! where as i was thinking 2 viper 15s and a v tail mixer for about £60

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 08:55:52 am »

You could  use a cheap-and-cheerful 4 x AA NiMH pack to power your receiver and save yourself the £22 for a P92, but you MUST fit fuses in the positive leads from the battery. As regards the price of P94 I'm afraid that's non-negotiable, but you can see there are one or two satisfied users out there. I'm just about to start building the 480th P94 since last May.
I've had several customers who said that they couldn't get on with the set-up you have described and bought a P94 to replace it but, like I alway say, suit yourself.
FLJ

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 11:58:14 am »

Viper marine esc's can make a loud whine which can scare fish. Mine makes a hell of a racket.

Hi Crafty.

With regards to the 'Whine' , this has happened to me on my latest build.

I had heard of it happening and had not been really bothered by it before, but this time it really was bad, so I thought a bit of research was needed. What was causing it !!!

My conclusions are that the Viper speed control sends out a mark space frequency to the motor and varies the spacing to increase the 'seen voltage' at the motor. (I hope I've got the tech terms roughly right )

Where was the noise actually coming from, I thought.

To this end, I have found that if you hold the motor in your hand, connected to your viper and R/X and switched on, the noise (vibration!) was NOT audible.

I concluded that the coil in the motor was being oscillated at around a few thousand killo cycles, which made the case of the motor vibrate in sympathy. When the motor was touched onto the deck of the boat, this acted like a speaker cone and produced a sympathetic audible whistle (or whine).  

As all motors are embedded onto brackets to fix them down, then they will make this whine, depending on the materials used to secure them.

The secret (got there at last) is to insulate them from the structure of the boat.  I have made a box , slightly larger than the motor and lined it with felt, and having checked that the prop is parallel and running true, clip the motor in with elastic rubber.

I did this previously on my Waverley build to hide the 'Gear wheels crunching' type of vibration noise. There was no whine this time, because I used a different speed controller.

You can see from the picture that the elastic bands can be attached  to the lugs on the side of the box.

I hope this information helps all of you out there when selecting the best way to install motors on troublesome speed controllers.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

craftysod

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 01:42:24 pm »

Usefull piece of information there Ken thanks,
will try out in my next boat
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.