Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: FIREWORKS  (Read 13363 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: FIREWORKS
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2009, 10:21:03 am »

Or council has a special collection for garden waste, leaves etc. once a fortnight.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Wasyl

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2009, 10:22:23 am »

Thats what happens when you live in the affluent south,and have a Cons,run council,up here in the poorer North,we can get a 3 piece suite 1 x  wardrobe 1 x chest of drawers and 1 other large item uplifted by the council for the princely sum of £8, ...and we still suffer from fly-tipping,mind you i have noticed a lot more number plates with St,Georges cross,on the,than usual, {-) {-) {-)..seriously though,no matter what councils do to try an alleviate the problems that are inherant in our society,,you,will always get those that don,t want to pay anything,and its not always those that are poor,that are the culprits,..a few years ago up here,.."World in Action",exposed some very rich and inflential people,on National TV,for ..stealing Electricity,..one guy, had a house worth in Excess of £750,000,thats a lot for up here,and he was tapped into the street lights,another who owned a large second/h car lot,he did the same,...the more they,ve got the less they want to pay to keep what they,ve got, {:-{

Wullie

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2009, 12:33:42 pm »

When i stayed in Germany, the practice there was that once a month you could put anything you didn't want out on the street in front of the house and a team of council wagons were dispatched to remove the lot in one day.... and it was free. It didn't matter what it was prvided it was household stuff. I saw wardrobes, cabinets, stereo systems.. allsorts of stuff and being in close proximity to the Alps,  millions of pairs of unwanted skis. My freind discarded a huge wooden container which originally contained a large harp, it was incredibly heavily built but it was gone when we got home from work. There was a great deal of sifting going on too, some of the stuff wound up in other peoples homes as they would go around and find something they needed and this was all accepted practice. The germans are very big on re-cycling, it's a weekend ritual to take all the stuff to the re-cycling centre and it's all catered for. I NEVER saw any signs of fly tipping or for that matter, little or no litter.
 So what is it with the Brits, this 'couldn't give a monkeys' attitude and lack of respect for each other and the environment they live in? It's a sort of 'in yer face' attitude' and appears to be an aggressive outlook on life, probably bourne from a lack of pride. There are times when I think some are only one step up from dogs which mark their own territory.

And we let them buy explosives over the counter once a year! %%

BTW Wullie, our security services intercepted a truckload of St Georges car stickers destined for Scotland, they were being smuggled across the border and destined for the Scottish Nation Party headquarters.!! {-) {-) {-)

Patternmaker

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2009, 08:10:45 pm »

This FIREWORK topic has gone off on so many tangents I regret starting it.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2009, 09:46:09 pm »

My apologies Patternmaker, my fault, one can easily digress:embarrassed:.
Ok chaps, carry on...I'm off to put some glassfibre in a mould, bin working all weekend and Mayhem is a welcome break with a cuppa, but I should stick to the thread!

Wasyl

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2009, 07:01:57 pm »

"This FIREWORK topic has gone off on so many tangents I regret starting it"

Why?,..Ok,you start a topic,it powers up steam,gets to its peak then,tails off into some related topics and some non related,..whats to regret about that,you got people speaking,thats what its all about,..its not about starting a topic,and hoping that it,ll stay on track, its about discussion,and thats what you,have brought here,3 pages of it,Instead of being full of regret, i,d be thinking you,ve done well,your topics 3 pages long,and still going,..how many of us on here can say we,ve started a topic thats still going after 3 pages, {:-{ O0

Wullie

Vintage

• Full Mayhemer
    • Artisan Works
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2009, 07:19:01 pm »

This FIREWORK topic has gone off on so many tangents I regret starting it.

Back on topic  :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAO-nMBEBLA
Reproduction wooden stands for the full range of vintage Star Yacht models are available from Vintage Pond Yachts

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2009, 08:19:32 pm »

Sirry  irriot     :((

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Nordsee

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2009, 09:53:35 pm »

Want to add my two pennyworth! Apart from them being dangerous etc, what about Pollution? Black Powder of which Fireworks are made when burnt releases all sorts of 'orrible gasses and chemicals,. We never used to have fireworks at New Year, but now it is Tradition! Here in Germany at New Year Fireworks are only sold to 18s or over and then from the 28th January until 31st. we are spared some early detonations, but not many. Last year it was calculated that 16,000 tons of Black Powder was let off in a time span of 11 hours, imagine the Pollution in that! Also people never clear up and the streets are littered for days with old rockets , roman candles etc. Public displays only please, times have changed! we used to fly Control Liners on Wanstead Flats, 200 yards from the Houses and roads on a Sunday Morning, try that now!

Wasyl

« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2009, 10:46:37 pm »

My tuppence worth,if you,re located in Germany,then you,ll know all about them Sylvestre Flares,that can be fired using a blank firer,..great fun,..but just think of all that phosphorus,going up, {-)

Wullie

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2009, 01:59:08 am »

Want to add my two pennyworth! Apart from them being dangerous etc, what about Pollution? Black Powder of which Fireworks are made when burnt releases all sorts of 'orrible gasses and chemicals,. We never used to have fireworks at New Year, but now it is Tradition! Here in Germany at New Year Fireworks are only sold to 18s or over and then from the 28th January until 31st. we are spared some early detonations, but not many. Last year it was calculated that 16,000 tons of Black Powder was let off in a time span of 11 hours, imagine the Pollution in that! Also people never clear up and the streets are littered for days with old rockets , roman candles etc. Public displays only please, times have changed! we used to fly Control Liners on Wanstead Flats, 200 yards from the Houses and roads on a Sunday Morning, try that now!

We have the same laws here in Finland.
It is possible to have fireworks on other days but the paperwork involved (special licenses required) and costs make it too much hassle for most people.
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Patternmaker

« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2010, 12:54:29 pm »

Here we go again, first fireworks of the year already.

Wasyl

« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2010, 02:23:47 pm »

Yipee {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Wullie

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2010, 02:27:11 pm »

Yipee {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Wullie
Spoken like a bloke who doesn't have to suffer them 24/7 for four months of the year.  >>:-( >>:-(

Patrick Henry

« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2010, 02:39:34 pm »

I'll just have my quick two bob's worth here...regarding fly tipping, the major point is PROOF. Good, solid evidence is needed to be able prosecute fly tippers. You (a council) have to able to prove without doubt that Mr P.I.Key was the man who dumped the rubbish. Finding letters or bills with a name on isn't enough, all that does is to prove that Mr. P.I Key lives at that address and received that bill/letter, it isn't proof that he dumped the stuff.

Our council, like many, know the hot spots for fly tipping and have placed hidden cameras in place to try  and  catch these people actually dumping the stuff, but nine times out of ten they don't catch the faces with enough clarity to be able to identify them. Or they get nicked or destroyed...we used to have night time patrols, but what with council expenditure cuts nowadays, they can't now afford to pay the overtime, so night patrols are being phased out.

We have a section of the old A259 which was largely abandoned when the bypass went in, this became a haven for fly tippers and sexual weirdos. After a few years of continual fly tipping and moans and groans from us spending so much time there clearing the tips, the road was sealed off at both ends. The council congratulated themselves on solving that problem...next week the tippers had found new spots and just continued fly tipping. We spent all our time running round looking for the new places...

There isn't really an answer to it, I fear...the tippers themselves don't give a monkey's about dumping the stuff, they've been paid to dump it and dump it they will, wherever it may be. It's not just small lots either, we've often arrived at a fly tip and it's blindingly obvious that what's before us came out of a big tipper truck, not out of the back of Joe Public's little car's boot.

I could rant on and on about fly tippers, they are a scourge upon society, but there's very little to be done about them. The stuff that they dump is often quite dangerous to the guys who have to clear it up...needles, broken glass, asbestos, broken baths and toilet seats..these are deadly to the poor old council worker who is sent to clear the mess up. I've cut my hands and fingers on glass and broken toilet seats so many times, one of the lads had a needle in his finger, went off to hospital, and then had to spend eight weeks in a panic whilst awaiting the outcome of blood tests. Not funny...at all.

Fly tippers are here to stay, I'm afraid...

Moan over...back to the original point of this post in the first place...fireworks.

Wasyl

« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2010, 03:23:43 pm »

Spoken like a bloke who doesn't have to suffer them 24/7 for four months of the year.  >>:-( >>:-(
Can I assume,you got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning,Richard {-)as for 24/7 4 months of the year,..up here in Scotland,we are only allowed to use fireworks on 3 celebratory occasions,Guy Fawkes night,Christmas and New year,or by special permission from the Police for perhaps a birthday celebration,

Wullie

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2010, 03:54:16 pm »

Can I assume,you got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning,Richard {-)as for 24/7 4 months of the year,..up here in Scotland,we are only allowed to use fireworks on 3 celebratory occasions,Guy Fawkes night,Christmas and New year,or by special permission from the Police for perhaps a birthday celebration,

Wullie
No Wullie I didn't get out the wrong side of the bed this morning [ I actually sleep in a chair ]. We just dread this time of the year down here, most of our pets spend 4 months on tranquillizers. >>:-( >>:-(

pugwash

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2010, 05:50:06 pm »

Sorry Wullie but I have to agree with Dicky- if only for the problems it causes for pets -  our collie Hamish
was a nervous wreck by the time we had 6 weeks of fireworks before th 5th Nov. and one of the lassies from
the stables was out hacking her pony when some @@@@ threw a banger at her and the pony - it bolted
but she managed to hang on. The horse was in a blind panic and could have run into anything  - car, pram,
you name it.  Organised displays only  would suit me fine.

Geoff

Wasyl

« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2010, 06:10:26 pm »

"I actually sleep in a chair"
I usually wake up in one,long after Avril has gone to bed,and i,ve stayed up, to watch TV,like the other,night, one minute it was 11.35pm the next it was 4am and i was stiff and cold,..no comments please {-)
We are very lucky where we stay,10 miles from nearest city,and 3 miles from nearest small town,fields to front and rear, forest to the left/right,..and no fireworks,

Wullie

Patternmaker

« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2010, 06:28:52 pm »

"I actually sleep in a chair"
I usually wake up in one,long after Avril has gone to bed,and i,ve stayed up, to watch TV,like the other,night, one minute it was 11.35pm the next it was 4am and i was stiff and cold,..no comments please {-)
We are very lucky where we stay,10 miles from nearest city,and 3 miles from nearest small town,fields to front and rear, forest to the left/right,..and no fireworks,

Wullie

Sounds ideal for your Bearded Collie Wullie
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.