Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: R.T.T.L. 2751  (Read 76600 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
R.T.T.L. 2751
« on: November 13, 2009, 04:14:19 pm »

hi there one and all

I have begun a new build.  The original idea comes from the plans drawn up by Vic Smeed which were published in The Model Maker 1958.   

To begin with I had a struggle in deciding which way to build this - to keep true to his plans, or deviate from them slightly. 

I had looked at Raymon's build of the Swordsman and Raymon has stayed true to the plans of a Vic Smeed build, where its a ply-wood skin build with very little flare in the top sides and no flare whatsoever incorporated in the bottom panels of the hull.  Raymon has brilliantly stuck to the authenticity of the plans by building his model and it looks really good.   

When I did a web search for the R.T.T.L. produced by the same plan which I have; they all have slab sides and flat bottoms, which is the way they were built back in the 1950s.  Now, after studying a great deal of photographs, I could see there was a slight flare in the top sides, which is shown in some sections of the Vic Smeed plan.   On the bottom panels of the hull there is no curvature in the front of the hull; but, on the photographs the bow has a very fine entry and also the chine line is similar to the Brave Borderer Class hull.  So this is what I have done.    I redrew the hull lines onto a sheet of plywood using photographs as references; kept the same amount of frames as Vic Smeed plans and also altered the chine line as well as the fine entry at the bow.    Also, instead of using plywood I am going to double-diagonally plank the hull.   For the eagle eyes you will see that I have removed the insides of the frames to keep it light.  Progress so far -
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: R.T.T.L. 2751
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 04:43:09 pm »

Hi John,

How big is she?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 04:49:51 pm »

Hi John,

How big is she?

The  wife she must be about 5feet4 inch's  %) but the hull is 34" long

aye
john

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 05:17:18 pm »

:}
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 05:14:52 pm »

couple more pics of the build so far, busy diagonally planking the sides first - the planking material is lime 10mm x 1mm thick - started off planking in the centre of the hull marking the first plank off at 45 degrees.   Working 5 planks per side; at a go - so in other words glue on 5 planks portside, turn the model round glue on 5 planks starboard side and by that time the planks on the portside have dried (in theory)  %)   and you should be able to carry on clamping more planks on in this way....

if you look closely you will see rings on the planks - no its not its age  :-)  - it is caused by glue getting between the clamp face and the plank.....

%% %%

aye

john

howyson

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 06:54:55 pm »

Hi from another geordie

You are making a superb job of the hull. I restarted on my RTTL fifty years after only completing the hull. It is based on the original Vic Smeed design. I have some photos in the model boat section under Model Maker Vosper RTTL. Since I took them I have made some more progress on the superstructure but the Vic Smeed plans are limited in detail and you tend to end up guessing.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 07:43:31 pm »

HOWYSON hi there fellow Geordie man

I have just had a look at your build which you have posted - I am wondering now - should I have done my model similar to yours, yours looks brilliant!!!   If you have a scout around the Forum and look at Banjo's threads - he has the RTTL which is well-built as well.   Banjo's is of the early version without the engine room cabin fitted.  I am posting a couple of photographs which I have been working from for details etc., and these may help you.   (photographs courtesy of Christian)

aye
john

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 08:11:12 pm »

So when are you building one like the top photo John ? {:-{
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 08:13:56 pm »

wo Dicky man not that C**P sense of humour of yours again coming out is it?    <*< ;) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 08:25:51 pm »

Suppose it was that bear of Danny's again.

Greggy1964

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 02:42:59 am »

Hello Bluebird,

Nice shape to the hull you've got there :-))

Looking at her flowing lines and curves reminded me that here in Bridlington on the east coast of the UK we had similar RAF boats used for air sea rescueback in the 60's and 70's

The RAF kept two boats at Bridlington if my memory serves me right and there were large maintenance sheds with a slipway at the top of the harbour.

The launches were regularly hauled up the slip on huge yellow painted 4 wheeled cradles and I spent many a happy hour with my friends playing under the hull and marvelling at the flowing line and studying the huge bronze propellers :-))

RAF 1383, 1387, 1389 and 1390 were based at Bridlington in the 1960s.

1392 was the last RAF pinnacle to leave Bridlington on December 8 1980 to make way for the new air sea rescue helicopters still based at RAF leconfield near Driffield.

These lovely boats have been missing from the harbour scene for years now  :(( but the slip and sheds still remain and are used by cobble owners to slip their boats these days

You can just see the shed doors painted blue and slipway to the far left behind the yachts in the above photo of Bridlington harbour.

I'll post photos of RAF 1383, 1387, 1389 and 1390 if I can find any on the web :-))

howyson

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 09:43:05 am »

Hi Bluebird

Thanks very much for the photos they are very helpful. In particular the winch photo is great but means I must start again. My guess from the profile on the Vic Smeed plans was way out.

I have not checked the Banjo link out yet but will do soon as possible.

I have some photos of the 2751 I found on the net but I am having problems attaching them to this post. Will hopefully overcome the problem and post them later.

howyson

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 09:56:04 am »

Hi Bluebird

Have overcome the attachment problem.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 06:49:05 pm »

hi all just a little progress report

Finished the first skin of the side planking and I have sanded down it down lightly to remove some of the glue marks, but, I havent finished sanding it yet.

I am now in the process of planking the bottom section of the hull, using the same sort of method working 5 x planks per side.

aye
john

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 10:12:54 pm »

Another lovely build from John  :o  :}

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 10:37:19 pm »

So when are you building one like the top photo John ? {:-{

Nah Dicky he builds them then he kills the bow. The boston and the Leeds Castle to name two he has done. Here is the evidence to prove it.
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 04:01:40 pm »

Hi there all
Just a quick update – as you can see I have finished planking the bottom section of the hull now.  In the process of sanding and filling any dints or mis-alignments in the planking.   Once this is complete I will begin putting the 2nd row of planking on – only this time it will be using mahogany planking – planking in the opposite direction to the first set of planks and also the planks will only be 5mm wide x 0.5mm thick (scale sized planks for this build).
Aye
John e bluebird

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 04:57:01 pm »

Bluebird,

Couple for questions, why double diagonal plank does this offer anything to the strength of the hull and why the two different types of wood.

Riggers

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2009, 05:05:23 pm »

Was wondering that myself Riggers.  ok2

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2009, 05:53:11 pm »

Hi ya mates

One of the reasons I am double-planking this particular model is that I want to keep it relatively light, as well as strong.   So, with double-planking in the different directions offers the same strength as ply-wood.  Ply-wood gains its strength by having its timbers running at 90 degrees to each other.   The reason for the 2 types of wood at the stage is for expense really as well as authenticity.   The outer planks are going to be mahogany at 4mm x 0.5mm thick.   This is roughly the scale size planking for this hull.  To plank a full hull in mahogany would cost a lot more (double the price maybe) of the hull.   If I so wished, I could, at this stage, do what I normally do and that is put a layer of polyester resin with tissue mat over the hull - this wouldnt make for a very strong hull though on this build, because the inner planks are not that thick - i.e.l 0.8mm thick.

When I have finished planking over the top with mahogany I am going to coat it in 3 coats of epoxy resin on the outside and 2 coats of polyester resin on the inside of the hull - this should give me a hull which is twice as light as a similar hull in fibre glass but with the same strength as fibre glass.   If not stronger - I mean howway me track record - it's gotta take on a few concrete lakesides in the next season hopefully  %% %% %%

Hope this answers your queries Marc and Dicky.

Aye
John e
Bluebird

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 06:02:21 pm »

Thankyou my man, very informative. Have you thought about using bow fenders ? %)

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 06:29:45 pm »

Hello Bluebird,

Nice shape to the hull you've got there :-))

Looking at her flowing lines and curves reminded me that here in Bridlington on the east coast of the UK we had similar RAF boats used for air sea rescueback in the 60's and 70's

The RAF kept two boats at Bridlington if my memory serves me right and there were large maintenance sheds with a slipway at the top of the harbour.

The launches were regularly hauled up the slip on huge yellow painted 4 wheeled cradles and I spent many a happy hour with my friends playing under the hull and marvelling at the flowing line and studying the huge bronze propellers :-))

RAF 1383, 1387, 1389 and 1390 were based at Bridlington in the 1960s.

1392 was the last RAF pinnacle to leave Bridlington on December 8 1980 to make way for the new air sea rescue helicopters still based at RAF leconfield near Driffield.

These lovely boats have been missing from the harbour scene for years now  :(( but the slip and sheds still remain and are used by cobble owners to slip their boats these days

You can just see the shed doors painted blue and slipway to the far left behind the yachts in the above photo of Bridlington harbour.

I'll post photos of RAF 1383, 1387, 1389 and 1390 if I can find any on the web :-))

RAF Pinnace 1392 "Spitfire" is being rebuilt at Newson Boatbuilders, Lowestoft.

The pictures in the gallery show the double diagonal planking in great detail.

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 07:08:37 pm »

Hi John, lovely lines!  ok2
(Don't forget that the transom/stern outer skin is planked horizontally - seems weird to me, but that's how they were built.  :-))

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 07:42:27 pm »

If you look at thread 13 you can see the first skin of horizontal stern planking

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 07:48:57 pm »

If you look at thread 13 you can see the first skin of horizontal stern planking
Aye up Riggers me Geordie mate that stern planking looks vertical to me, it being the first layer. ok2
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.