Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: R.T.T.L. 2751  (Read 76597 times)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: R.T.T.L. 2751
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2010, 01:59:23 pm »

John,
Is that with the original motors and props?
What voltage did you run her on?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2010, 06:29:31 pm »

Hi Dicky

I am sorry mate, it was all done official with stopwatches and 3 attending - gone down in South Shields Model Boat records  :-)) :-))

It wasnt a bad morning down at the lake.

Bob the power supply is all original 30mm props 3 bladers both right handers

2 MTronik 600 motors - and 2 3300ma nicad batteries - the model was also carrying Nicads for the sound unit 9.2 x 1100ma - fair old weight there to be shoving along  %%

aye
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2010, 10:38:29 pm »

There are no photographs which would do justice to this model. It is just fabulous - and we're proud to have helped make it do what it does so well.
Bloobs, you're a crackin' modeller. 
Now, about that 'simple' lifeboat........ :o
FLJ

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2011, 02:25:19 pm »

Hi Cyril

How’s you?

The transom frame is held onto the keel with a form of mortice and tenon joint

The slot in the transom is the same width as the thickness of the keel and is approx one and a half inches loing

Hope this helps?

aye
john e

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: December 05, 2011, 04:40:29 pm »

Hi Bluebird

Lovely build. I was looking at your photos and wondered just where they would have stowed their larne targets? I couldn't find much on the internet reallyand I am not sure of the size of them either.

Dave

howyson

« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2011, 05:58:01 pm »

Hi Norseman

I do not know where they stored them but the attached might give an idea of the size.

Howard

howyson

« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2011, 08:19:45 am »

Even more info on

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5869.msg65436;topicseen#msg65436

but as far as I could see no stowing details.

Howard

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2011, 08:03:15 pm »

Thanks Howard - much appreciated.

Dave

olly49

« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2011, 09:26:00 pm »

Hi to all.
I am in the process of restoring a RTTL 2753 and require the supersture plans, has anyone got them in pdf format please?
Regards
Olly49

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: December 29, 2011, 06:52:11 pm »

Hi there Olly49

Just sent you a personal message about the deck planking - but as far as plans for this vessel in pdf format goes - there used to be a guy on here who had the frames (I believe) in the PDF but not sure if he had the superstructure.

Sadly, I dont think I have any further information apart from a couple of photographs on my hard-drive and a couple of very small illustrations of the hull and deck - will try and download them later on.    Been having a few problems lately downloading onto this site; as the files keep coming up 'not acceptable on jpeg.f whatever that may be  :((

Aye
john e
bluebird

olly49

« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2012, 09:40:50 am »

Hi
Are the roundels painted on or are they decals?
Regards
olly49

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2012, 10:42:47 am »

hi there Olly49 the larger roundels on the roof were hand painted on directly to the cabin top - but the smaller ones on the bow were painted onto very thin plastic and then cut out and glued on.

I am sure the numbering I got it from Barry's lettering.

Why aye

john

Kangaroo1

• Shipmate
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2012, 08:38:18 pm »

Hi John,

That is awesome! That's what I think... the detail on your 2751 is outstanding and I'm ever so slightly envious of your skills & patience.

I'm quite new to this boating world and am currently building the Model slipway RTTL, which is my first attempt at a "build" (my previous 2 boats have been yachts from kits, so only basic assembly required!) and if I can get mine looking 10% as good as yours I'll be a happy man!

Any chance you can post some video of her sailing?

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2012, 07:35:47 pm »

hi ya there
Kangaroo1
if you do a search of this forum and you will find DickyD did a build of the Model Slipway's RTTL - and someone else did as well.  Can remember who else did the build.

Thank you for the compliments about my build and model - as yet there be no video of her sailing - but I will try and do that someday  :-))
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7644.0
aye
john

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2012, 09:43:56 pm »

I was reading your comments on propulsion, the RMAS had one at Greenock in the 1960/70's as a fast courier launch. She difinetly had 2 x shaft driven by 2 x rolls royce merlin engines, she planed at 42 knots, she was called Falcon but was nicknamed the bomb on account of her being cartridge start at full throttle and what a row she made on start up. I was lucky enough to take her out for a job, r/v with a nuke sub,  picking up a passenger off the subs forward diving plane.

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2012, 10:18:26 pm »

She difinetly had 2 x shaft driven by 2 x rolls royce merlin engines

I don't think that they were ever fitted with Merlin engines - usually RR Griffons.

Dave
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2012, 01:07:14 pm »

Hi dodes
 it may be possible that the boat you sailed on was powered by the sea Napier engines; as some of them had the Coffman /or the Breeze cartridge systems in to start the main engines.  At the moment I cannot find reference to Merlin powered 68'RTTL' most started life with 3 Napier engines then in later life being converted to 2 Griffin motors but as they say life is not set in stone and rules are broken so they may have been one  :-))(where is CHRISTIAN CD123 when you need him )

aye

John  

Soupdragon

• Shipmate
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2012, 03:28:24 pm »

I was reading your comments on propulsion, the RMAS had one at Greenock in the 1960/70's as a fast courier launch. She difinetly had 2 x shaft driven by 2 x rolls royce merlin engines, she planed at 42 knots, she was called Falcon

Just to bring this one up to date a little, Falcon was actually called Osprey which was later changed to Canadian Osprey on her sale. She now exists as a Diving Support Vessel and has been completely refitted/refurbished. Her twin RR Griffons have been replaced (which doesnt surprise me as spares would be almost impossible to find nowadays) with GM diesels

Her hull number in RAF days was 2770. She was the penultimate RTTL to be built for the RAF, her sister 2771 was last seen laid up in Malta after retirement from the Maltese Coastguard. Both craft were the only RTTL's to be built for the RAF by Saunders & Roe the rest being Vospers, Groves and Gutteridge or BPC.

Soupdragon

• Shipmate
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2012, 04:07:02 pm »

Have to say I'm much impressed with your model on 2751  :-))

I sailed on her many times when she was stationed at RAF Mountbatten in Plymouth. She was being used back in 1973/4 era as a testbed for the refurbished Sea Griffons which were rolling off the RAF's production line in Plymouth. At the time i was crew on one of her sister craft, 2757, and her crew regularly used to get detailed to take 2751 out on a test run as '51 didnt have an official crew. After the engines had been tested and approved they would be removed, inhibited and placed in storage in case they were needed for any of the RTTL's still in service both at home and abroad. At that time the Marine Branch were still operating RTTL's in Gibraltar, Malta, Cyprus and Gan in the Maldive's. In all i served on RTTL's 2751, 2752, 2753, 2754 and 2757.

Someone asked where the Larne Targets were stowed when not in use - either side of the winch house was the usual stowage. The handrail was very handing for lashing the target securely.  Two were usually carried, if an extra was to be taken then it would be stowed on the starboard side of the superstructure and, yet again, secured to the handrail

Have you seen this site? http://www.asrmcs-club.com/boatswebsite/rttl1b.html

Antipodes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: The other side of the world, near the Antipodes. Dunedin, New Zealand
« Reply #144 on: September 04, 2012, 04:55:38 am »

According to the people at Model Slipways I've just purchased the last Vosper RTTL kit and they will not be making anymore   :(( :(( - I see it has already been pulled from their website.  :((

I really like the Mediterranean colour scheme and hope to do the same. Look out for the build dairy once it gets to this side of the world!!

Bruce
"Water is best tasted chilled and flavoured with hops"
KiwiCachers

Ian Downunder

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #145 on: March 12, 2014, 02:37:59 pm »

Hi guys.

I would like to introduce myself and direct you to my website where I have information on an RTTL rebuild. I've already contacted some of the people in this thread but I thought I would make public my project, as the more people who can help me complete it the better. Please visit my page and give me your feedback. http://slopesoaringaustralia.com/vosper-rttl

Ian.

flyer245

• Shipmate
« Reply #146 on: May 20, 2014, 03:50:21 pm »

Hi Bluebird
What colour White did you use  and was it Matt or gloss

Gary

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2014, 04:23:28 pm »

Hi Gary

It was Humbol Matt white Number 34 and it was oversprayed with Humbrol Satin varnish Number 135   :-))

aye

john

cdsc123

« Reply #148 on: May 20, 2014, 04:42:47 pm »

Looks lovely  ok2

flyer245

• Shipmate
« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2014, 03:29:10 pm »

Hi John
just a couple more questions I'm having problems getting hold of details and photographs of the winch housing do you have any or do you know where I can get hold of some
Has your RTTL have a black boot  line around it

Thanks Gary
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.