Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sideways Launch  (Read 2461 times)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Sideways Launch
« on: November 22, 2009, 08:18:06 pm »

I actually went to have a look at this ship a week ago but unfortunately they launched it yesterday as I was on my way home.  A friend of mine took these for me so i thought you might find them interesting.

The process is quite interesting.  The ship sits on a sloping slipway but rests on wedges to level the top surface.  In between the slips are vertical supports which are jacked up to take the majority of the weight.  When it is time to launch the jacks are removed, the slips greased, the locks are taken out of the wedges and the ship slides sideways into the canal.  This yard is just outside a town called Groningan in Holland and quite a way from the sea so it's a long canal transit for the ship to get to the sea.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

daz

Re: Sideways Launch
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 08:27:28 pm »

Brill Pic's  :-)) :-))
Big thankyou to your mate.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 10:57:50 pm »

Thank you. Interesting hull, interesting launch - seems slightly more successful than IKB's attempts at sideways launching! I see they thoughtfully removed the Armco opposite the ways, to avoid any risk of denting the hull!

tony23

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 11:09:58 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 23 queries.