Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HI, i'm a new member  (Read 3115 times)

Mal X

HI, i'm a new member
« on: November 16, 2009, 05:43:23 pm »

i used to have quite a few Tug boats years ago, i had Yorkshireman and Amsterdam, plus a huge one-off Smit Netherlands, but i sold them all and quit the hobby, recently i feel an urge to start building again, unfortunately i sold absolutely everything, so my first build plus all the electrics/RC gear will be quite expensive.

i spoke to Mobile Marine models and i've got my heart set on the Ayton Cross, which is a nice big model  O0, it'll have 90mm props

i was hoping to rebuild Amsterdam, but since quitting RC, Artesania dont sell her anymore, as for Yorkshireman; i spoke to them last week and their kit is being re-tooled and not for sale until jan/ feb, they're improving the quality etc,  ;) because she was a real nightmare to make, i remember swearing my head off  >:-o

my Yorkshireman suffered due to having too small props for tug towing, but a well detailed model.

boater12

Re: HI, i'm a new member
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 05:50:42 pm »

There is Amsterdam kit on Ebay ; Item number: 300367471046

Boater12

Mal X

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 05:56:21 pm »

thanks

i'll keep an eye on that, but too early to bid yet,  Amsterdam was the most attractive tug i ever had, but had poor steering; especially going aft...even with a Kortz.

whatever the case, i'll get Ayton Cross first

daz

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 11:59:28 am »

Hi ,
    Can i be the first to welcome you back to the hobby. :-)) :-))

You have picked a nice tug from MMM to build, just remember if you use the templates to cut oversize and in cardboard frist so you don't waste to much wood.

MMM is making a step by step photo guide to bulding one off there tugs. MMM is hopping to have it ready for there christmas cracker on sat 5th DEC.
If Brian can get all the pic's done in time.

I now this because by loverly wife is the model ? well her hands are LOL {-) {-) {-)

Best Regards
Darren.

Mal X

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 04:52:36 pm »

hi
i'm after Bollard pull, so i need a bulky hull.

years ago i had an oversize Smit Netherlands, powered by a car battery, i cant remember how large she was, but she was either 14 or 16'' wide by about 48'' long, she was massive, she had twin Robbie 1000 and 95mm props, BP was about 16LBs, so i'm after roughly the same again. O0

Ayton Cross will be 90mm, i spoke to MMM and they said that would be fine..because she's broad enough, the props will look a wee bit too big, but they'll be hidden from view wont they, so who cares  %%

i need to get the hull, kortz, props, engines and the plans first, all the rest can wait till next year

the bridge cabin will be a nightmare to make, loads of glass and a complicated shape, but the rest of it looks quite easy.  MMM do some great stuff and they're friendly too,

Mal X

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 05:08:14 pm »

i did belong to the Solent model club, Settley pond, Hampshire U.K, but that was about 6 years ago and i really miss it.

i miss sailing on Sundays in the summer time, with my friends; i should never have sold my boats and all my radio gear too  :((......... because that'll cost a fortune to replace.

Brian Roberts

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 07:15:46 pm »

Hi Mal X
If you want a blast from the past how about a Caldercraft Imara? Something of a challenge but well worth the effort and I think it's capable of towing just about anything.
Anyway, whatever your choice, good luck!
Brian

Mal X

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 07:58:56 pm »

yes Imara looks great, but i prefer modern tugs.

i also had a Schooner,  plus the battleship Yamato too  O0

i also have ( still have) the Magin one powerboat, but she's unfinished and too fast for Settley pond anyway.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 09:19:33 pm »

Welcome Mal

You will recognize this then
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Mal X

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 12:03:14 am »

i think so, i remember that big bloke Roger who had a similar boat, he kept ramming into everyone ;)

my old friend Reg still sails there, he's keen on sailing yachts, he has quite a few now, i wonder if Archie still goes to the pond

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 08:19:55 am »

If that is Archie Howie, yes he does. Reg still seems to be collecting yachts.

http://www.srcmbc.org.uk/

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Mal X

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 02:54:53 pm »

good, i've just visited the website, i see my 1 metre yacht ( schooner conversion Pandora) is still sailing, now that does surprise me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.