Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: krick shaft seals  (Read 2387 times)

Goingdown

krick shaft seals
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:18:36 pm »

Hello everyone,

Firstly I know this is a subject that is a asked about a fair deal on forums.   I am coming to the point of having my sub operational - but not yet detailed.   The krick kit is supplied with standard brass prop tube and stainless shaft and I have fitted a small o ring at the end of the proptube (superglued inside a small holder I made)  and I have installed oiler tubes.   My question is which of the following lubrication options would be best:

1)grease the shaft and around the o ring and insert in the tube.  occasionally remove to re-lube.

2)inject grease (graupner heavy duty) into the shaft until it exits viat the bearings.   Re top up via syringe.

3)inject thick oil (I have steam oil to hand) in to the tubes to lube the bearings.  

I also have some silicone grease but it is a pain to remove (white spirit) if it gets on the subs hull.   The sub only has 385 motors to turn the shafts so I am wary about creating too much resistance in the tubes.

Any ideas ?

Goingdown :-)

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: krick shaft seals
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 09:30:33 pm »

I would go with an oring, cup seal or Simmering. No need to for oil and grease. Depending on the speed of shaft rotation you may want to ensure that the seal is on the wet end to keep it water cooled. Or you could buy a waterproof prop shaft set.

Goingdown

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 10:03:50 pm »

Mankster,

Thanks for the response.   At this point I have actually already fitted the standard shaft and an oring on the end within a homemade cup holder.  I did think about a simmering seal but at 2mm the propshaft is too small.    So I suppose I am asking what lubrication would be required around the brass bearings and the oring?    Should I just use light oil to lube the bearings and rely entirely on the oring for the seal?

Regards

Going down

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 10:21:22 pm »

I would use a greese rather than oil as it tends to stay put longer. The robbe / graupner one is fine if you aready have it, just smear it on the ends that contact the bushings.  Even vaseline will do the job in this application.

Turbulent

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 08:46:08 pm »

Vaseline is, in my opinion the best option, used it for years in my old T & U Boat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 23 queries.