Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hobby City ?  (Read 2037 times)

john54

Hobby City ?
« on: November 10, 2009, 04:50:59 pm »

Hi
There must be someone here whos had dealings with www.hobbycity.com Thinking of giveing them a go :-)) Any experiences good ;)or bad >:-o (speed ,post cost ect)
Thanks

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Hobby City ?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 04:55:03 pm »

Shopped with them twice. Both good experiences. :-))

timsenecal

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 11:58:50 pm »

shopped with them once, bought four liPo batteries and a brushless motor.

a bad ESC from a different seller killed one of the lipos, but the other three are performing beyond expectations.

Jani

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 07:52:18 pm »

Had 8 shipments from them so far. Nothing to complain about.

Keep reading the reviews (within product pages), there are some items that may not be all that good quality. Another matter to note is that some items do not come with any manuals and you need to find them on-line before you make the purchase, if you think you need them.

Prices are very good and I have had no defective items so far. Few friends also regularly shopping there have had couple of items (mostly servo's) defective, but are not fussed about them. Given the prices, it's still tremendously cheaper than locally. But you CAN send them defective items for replacement, if you so choose. You need to decide that if you should encounter problem item.

Like my friends, I am happy, and I will continue using their services. Unfortunately they don't carry much model boating stuff.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 11:41:05 pm »

unfortunately, my recent experience was absolutely awful. Bought some big lipos, one failed after 3 mins use, a cell went dead, and took out a brand new esc.
any form of warranty with hobby king (city, same company) is very limited, you have to send product back, and it has to be tracked mail, so it cost 1/2 the price of the lipo, then you wait....and wait.......and wait.
3 weeks later, and LOADS of emails, they finally say the lipo has not arrived, even though I have recorded mail, and it had 1 week previously, then 2 weeks after that, we have your lipo, in "testing queue", and so the saga goes on and on, almost 2 months, they have agreed it was faulty, they will not reimburse or refund, the only option is store credit or exchange (lipo had gone out of stock by now!), no refund of postage, no apology, no reimbursement for the esc , and I am still waiting.

Yes they are cheap, but the chinese culture is customer service is dreadful, by their own admission. I also joined their own forum, check that out, its FULL of complaints, missing parts, orders unfulfilled faulty parts etc etc, read the forum, and make up your own mind.
I could have bought from UK via Ebay the same lipos, it would have cost £20 more, on an £80 order, I would have had paypal and ebay buyers protection, and would have thought a better service from UK, I bought cheap, and got a cheap nasty service, it was only through persistance, several emails every day for thrwee weeks that finally got a result,

GOOD LUCK! :((

andyn

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 12:13:00 am »

I would never buy cheap Chinese Li-po's. Firstly because they're incredibly likely to be dangerous....

rayna

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 02:46:02 am »

:-)
Hi all . i have had a good experience so far having bought four 2.4g "chinese" Hobbyking labelled radio sets plus some other stuff. Delivery of last was from order 4 days from Hong Kong direct to New Zealand. All the sets good but without experience I would understand that faulty stuff is a risk you take with poor follow up experienced by others.
I guess I will only hesitate when I get some faulty bits. Big lipols or similar are probably more of a risk. But paying the equivalent of 3 UK pounds for a RX lipol battery pack is hard to beat.........provided it works.
Raynor

Jani

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 11:49:02 am »

From my point of view, that's pretty much how one should evaluate their stand on doing business with HK or similar business's. Certain items are eventually bound to be defective, and the service from that point on is, well, pretty much what has been stated earlier... (like it or not, it's also reduced operating costs that reflect on pricing)

But if you need reasonable amount of various nicknack's etc that you can order from there, then it's a kind of fuzzy math; you incorporate some "losses" into the equation and if you still end up saving money, I consider it worth it.

Just today I received my 9th shipment from HK, this parcel mysteriously being on the road for over 90 days, arrived in a condition that I would summarize as run over by several trucks (even every single air filled cushion was deflated/punctured and the cardboard box was in a state of disintegration, held together with white string that someone somewhere along the line had used to patch it up). As luck would have it, all the items in that shipment were not the fragile kind and aside from superficial damage to heli blade surface I can deal with in 5 minutes, everything tested out OK (digital microservo, cell voltage monitor, gold plated connector set and set of blades).

But, even if that shipment would have been a complete loss, I would not bother with complaints knowing exactly how they progress. None of my friends have ever bothered with complaints either. It's just not worth it, and it's NOT like dealing with Euro/US dealers - but the price more than compensates for it for us.

I'm afraid, no matter how much we would like it, they will not stand up for the standards we hold given in EU/US dealership for customer service, reimbursements and communique. And I'm convinced that if they would/tried to, not many would prefer their business anymore for the increase in prices. Infact, I rather like it the way it is. I buy anything significant from EU and various nicknack's (and yes, even some LiPo's) from HK.  :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.