Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Freecycle  (Read 2123 times)

Greggy1964

Freecycle
« on: November 17, 2009, 12:55:01 pm »

Hello,

I thought I'd make everyone aware of a site that I use regularly in finding tools and equipment

http://www.freecycle.org/ :-))

Its a site based on recycling rather than binning unwanted items, and items are offered free for collection! :-))

This way functional items can find further use rather than being needlessly destroyed and all manner of items are offered on the site.

You can offer stuff you no longer require or need or ask to be considered for items advertised.

Sadly with the current economic climate I find myself unemployed at the moment  :(( and money is a premium, so I was very pleased to receive a tiny MiniCraft table saw, it came complete with cross slide and new blade.

The only thing missing was the 18V DC transformer but until I find one I can run it off my 18V drill batteries.

My find was a classic of why freecycle works, the woman offering mini saw was clearing out her husbands model workshop as he had sadly passed away recently.

For those of you who use MiniCraft tools, you might have spotted some modifications O0

These include in my book and essential dust extraction modification, together with motor end float to fix wobble in cut edges and a parallel slide fix.

Note use of 18V drill battery in lieu of finding a suitable transformer! :-))

When I get myself organised I'll do a howto on the modifications.

I have to say that it will be a very useful tool in accurately cutting staright stock into deck planks etc and I'm very pleased to own it :-))

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: Freecycle
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 04:52:33 pm »

been using this for a couple of years now, In Luton you can ask for stuff but only if you give away stuff, but that does not stop you getting other peeps advertised stuff!! I had loads and they are a good site for getting old prams and pushchairs to cart your models on!!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 10:27:56 pm »

I have used this site for a while now, picked up a battery charge :-))r, large inflatable boat :-)) and a couple of odd bits and pieces. Also got rid of a lot of stuff when having a clear out :-)).
Alan

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 10:36:20 pm »

I use our local one - I gather there has been some falling out with the US owners of the title as our local one is now calling itself Freegle.

wideawake

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 10:40:12 pm »

[quote autho r=tobyker link=topic=20822.msg201556#msg201556 date=1258497380]
I use our local one - I gather there has been some falling out with the US owners of the title as our local one is now calling itself Freegle.
[/quote]

Yes ours has changed in the same way.  I gather from an information post that some 2/3 of UK groups have removed themselves from the US controlled regime.  No clear explanation of why though.

Cheers

Guy

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 07:53:59 am »

I did join the Ashbourne one where it took over a week for my application to be approved. I gathered this was down to the Americans, so maybe the UK sites have decided to speed things up and take control.

Barrie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.