Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re-furbishing "Norseman"  (Read 2816 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re-furbishing "Norseman"
« on: November 17, 2009, 06:49:01 pm »

At long last, now a bit of space has been created in the "workshop" I've been able to bring c/s "Norseman" home from its damp locker. The "top half" at least ( after a bit of huffing and puffing from "Nemesis"). But the poor thing needs more like a re-construction than a simple refit. To be honest, I don't really know wher to start. Since I built her around 20 years ago I'd like to think my model building has improved a bit. So have the materials, paints etc. that I used then.
I'm inclined to remove the masts and associated rigging first...mainly to give me better access to the deck clutter...but also for another reason that I'll come to in a minute. When I built the model I had to overcome the mast height problem. On the real ship the masts were 120' high, which at 1:48=30". To get over that I made the lower masts spring loaded so the topmasts could be slotted in seperately, but this method, although successful, made maintaining even tension on the rigging difficult. But nothing is "easy" in the scratch-build world, is it. So now I'm tending to the idea of "fixing" the lower masts and fitting non-flexible standing rigging...still have to dream up a way of fitting the topmasts,though. It would be simple if the lower and topmasts were "in line", but as she was built as an auxiliary sailing ship the masts were stepped accordingly (topmasts mounted ahead of the lower mast).
But then will come the "cleaning" phase. The white,dusty mouldy stuff seems to come off the wood parts OK, but as I used a lot of "litho-plate" in the superstructure construction ...well, the poor thing is suffering from surface (and deeper) oxidisation. No indication of the litho coming off though.
Now to a question.
Assuming most of the superstructure is pretty well sealed, would spraying the thing with something like "Mr.Muscle" clean it up without causing damage? Or is that too strong? Obviously I'd be usiing a similar water spray to wash it off. Ideas?
Until it's cleaned I can't tell what bits will need repainting. A lot of the "white" has discoloured to a dirty sort of cream colour. All Humbrol. Once the rigging is cleared away I'm thinking of buying a battery powered toothbrush (Mrs.Y.rather selfishly refuses to lend me hers) to use as a deck scrubber. No lewd comments about "scrubbers", please.
Who knows, I may find this job as interesting as building a new one....as if.
The first pic is "how she was".....and the others are as of today.
Notes from a simple seaman

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
Re: Re-furbishing "Norseman"
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 07:58:17 pm »

Be honest Brian, a quick brush down as I like the weathered worn look instead of the bright fresh paint work.

riggers
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

ZZ56

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:03:44 pm »

If it was painted with enamels, mild oven cleaner should work.  Acrylics could be stripped off. 

Dunno if the Mr. Muscle will remove the oxidation from your superstructure plate.  You might need to buy a buffing compound to get that off.  

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 10:54:51 pm »

zz56.
All paint is enamel...I don't think I could buy acrylics in the early 1980s. At the moment I'm not too fussed about the oxidisation. Just want to get it cleaned up in all the nooks and crannies and then have a serious look at what needs to be done. Ta for the reply.
Riggers.
A quick brush down only goes so far. Apart from that, the real ship sparkled until the day she was retired. Most of the Portuguese / Brazilian crew spent thier entire working lives on her....so they kept her better than clean. BY.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 11:04:05 pm »

How about a Badger Badger grit blaster

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/Badger_260.asp

Peter

madrob

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 12:12:43 am »

another beautiful model Bryan
i think Mr muscle would be a bit too strong, i would try a spray bleach first

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 08:33:55 am »

I would try Fairy Power Spray
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 04:05:06 pm »

I would try Fairy Power Spray
I tried a bit of Mr.Muscle on an inconspicuous bit of deck and found it left a greasy residue...even after cleaning off. I'll try your suggestion next.
I like the idea of the "grit blaster"....but a) I don't want to blast the whole thing. b) as most of the bits that need TLC are fixed, I fear I'd finish up with grit in unwanted places!
Although my new £5 electric toothbrush will certainly have its uses (a cheap alternative to "proper" modelling gear), and can get into nooks and crannies that the Proxxon can't, I think I need a harder brush. Initial trials prove promising. Should have thought about getting one of these ages ago!. Ta for replying. BY.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.