Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Thunder Tiger Voyager 2/Thunder Tiger ETNZ ... same boat?  (Read 15812 times)

Jake Bullit

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Thunder Tiger Voyager 2/Thunder Tiger ETNZ ... same boat?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 03:11:36 pm »

I think they are quiet differrent
Voyager info here http://www.voyager-rc.com/ there does seem to be a lot of support for the Voyager, and it is an AMYA class for racing.

The ETNZ has a bit of a reputation as being difficult to build. There is a thread on RCgroups.com about this.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Jake Bullit

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 08:36:24 am »

Thanks for that.I am currently have a Kyosho Fortune ,but would like something one metre in length,that is reasonably simple to build.

ralphhager

• Ralph1937
  • Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 10:41:41 pm »

Jake:  If you buy the “Thunder Tiger Voyager 2”, over there in the UK.  Could you post it here with the price and where you got it from?  I have been trying to buy this yacht (with the light & Rigid fiber glass racing hull) here in the US, but as of yet no one has it in stock.  Also if you could post some picture and make some comment on the fiber glass hull.  That sure would be nice.

Thanks Ralph :-)

Jake Bullit

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 02:24:40 pm »

I bought it from Leeds model shop,they were the cheapest I could find.It arrived on Tuesday(ordered Sunday evening).
It is my christmas present from the wife ,so at the moment have just got a very big box to look at.It maybe the New Year before I get round to putting it together and sailing it.
Here`s the link for the supplier:
http://www.modelshopleeds.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3614&osCsid=ece38009ba82d3c2bbb21737a529dba6

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 12:22:52 pm »

Hi Jake,

The hull is identical, but plain white, as are the fin and rudder.

The rigging is similar to the Voyager 1 (the ABS 12M version); the cloth has the nasty habbit of sagging in damp conditions and it shrinks alot in dry and warm conditions (up to the point where things start to crack and break...)

At best, it can be used as a template for a suit of replacement sails out of Spinaker, Mylar, of drawing film.

I sail a modified Voyager 1 and I have yet to encounter a Voyager 2 (or an ETNZ for that matter), that can keep up in more than a gentle breeze, as I can sail (and control) my Voyager in up to 5-6 Bft.

Like all sailboats in this pricebracket; the more you like to tinker, the faster she'll sail.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Jake Bullit

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 12:39:47 pm »

Hi Jan,I read your mods  PDF last night.I plan to sail it out of the box for starters,then start to introduce a few mods later,once I`ve had chance to get her on the water.First mod will be the sails,I have some florist cellophane set aside to see how that works.
 :-))

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 05:06:42 pm »

Hi Jake,

Cellophane works quite well and is a quick way to try out different sailsizes and shapes.
I like the spinnaker better, as it's more 'real' sailcloth-like, and much stronger than cellophane, but that's my choice,  because I sail my Voyager in all kinds of weather, up to 6Bft.

Looking forward to some pics of your new boat, building and sailing pics are required!

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 09:11:50 pm »

Been making my sails out of light weight shower curtins for years (the cheap ones are best as they are the lightest weight) they are waterproof, easy to stitch and sew don't stretch or shrink :-)) many look like cloth and they set well...
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Mark47

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 11:10:23 pm »

Hi Jake,

Cellophane works quite well and is a quick way to try out different sailsizes and shapes.
I like the spinnaker better, as it's more 'real' sailcloth-like, and much stronger than cellophane, but that's my choice,  because I sail my Voyager in all kinds of weather, up to 6Bft.

Looking forward to some pics of your new boat, building and sailing pics are required!

Regards, Jan.

Sorry this will be a simple answer for a dumb question. But what is Bft.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 03:03:21 am »

I am guessing the Beufort scale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 10:10:32 am »

Hi Mark,

Tigertiger guessed right: Bft is the abbreviation for Beaufort.

I have to add, that sailing a Voyager in 6Bft is only possible on sheltered water, where the boat only has to cope with the wind and not the waves that comes with it on a large lake.
I've tried that, but the boat will loose too much speed as the wave spacing will engulf it from bow to stern.

In those conditions 5Bft is the limit.
I've added a few pics, where I sail my Voyager in high wind on a large body of water.
Notice the mastbend to reduce the windpressure.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Jake Bullit

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 07:51:16 am »

Thanks for the replies re:sails.One question,can waterproof tape be used on materials like cellophane,as my sewing skills are none existent.
Nice pics Jan,will keep you posted in the New Year.

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 08:23:09 am »

Any kind of (transparant) tape will do for taping panels together.

Take the non stretching variant, you'll get a better sail.

Also keep in mind, the glue will harden over time, so the lifespan is limited.
My guess is, the cellophane will go first though...

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 09:35:56 am »

Hi, I have used double sided transparent tape to stick mylar panels.  Also you can use 'Hemite' a wispy fabric glue to create cloth sails.
All work well and have been in use several years now.
regards Roy

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 07:03:27 pm »

my sewing skills are none existent.

Hi Jake,

As you can see particularly well in the first of the three pics above, my sewing skills aren't exactly wrinkle free either...

Having made a lot of kites over the years, out of ripstop nylon (spinaker), I've gotten used to handling the slippery stuff on the sewing machine.
I use sailmakers double sided tape to glue the panels together, once I'm satisfied with the shape, I zigzag the seams to make them storm proof.
The sewing creates some tension in the sail, but I rather have that than having my sail blown apart in more than a gentle breeze...

So, grab some cloth and work on your sewing skills!

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Bradley

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 07:21:28 pm »

Have a look at Sailsetc website.  I think they do all the sailmaking materials including tape.

http://www.sailsetc.com/

Derek.

ralphhager

• Ralph1937
  • Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 09:14:59 pm »

Jake Bullit:  Happy New Year  :-))
Me & Pompebled must be thinking the same thing; we sure are looking for your progress report, on your Voyager 2 build. {:-{
Thanks Ralph :-)

Jake Bullit

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 07:38:22 am »

Just made a start last night,only got as far as putting the bulb on and putting the keel and rudder tubes in.Oh and the stand of course.
Don,t think I`ll epoxy the keel in,will probably leave it so it can be removed for transportation.Only thing is if I don`t put epoxy into the rebate there will be a bit of a gap,maybe some silicon would be ok?

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2009, 10:34:38 am »

Hi Jake,

Leaving the keel removable is what I did with my Voyager too, it allows me to bring the boat along on holidays in a car, that's already packed to the max.

Could you show us some pictures of the gap you mentioned?

Also, when leaving the keelfin removable, it is wise to examine the thickness if the laminate surrounding the keelbox, while you still have access, in case reinforcements are required.
Hold it against a strong lichtsource to reveal thin spots.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Jake Bullit

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 06:25:39 pm »

Been to the pond in Southport UK twice now .The boat still hasn`t got wet!
First time I forgot the keel nut,second time a shroud snapped rigging up in a stiff breeze despite using steel trace wire.
Try again this week,though it`s been snowing here today.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 04:06:38 am »

I was surprised how weak some fishing trace is, I think it is used for its abbrassion resistance.

I was also surpirsed how strong some of the synthetics are.

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 12:13:20 am »

JakeBuit,
Not sure if you have found the cure for your rigging issue at this point, but if you haven't may I suggest you consider using 1 x 7 strand nylon coated stainless steel fishing leader. 30 to 45lb. test. It is very easy to do and requires only a good wire cutting dia. pliers, standard pliers. You need to buy leader sleeves to secure the wires. I have attached a picture of my Yamaha's rigging so you can see how it looks.

If you opt to do this you will need to order some SS turnbuckles, so you can trim/tune your sails. You can't use bowsies on the SS wire. I did the back stay and the shrouds. The turnbuckles are not terribly expensive, and are easy to install and look very nice. They make dismantling the mast child's play. I got the turnbuckles from Midwest model yachting - They have a nice on line catalog. (Nice guy & good service to boot.) This is and American company, I don't have a source for these accept here in the States. They do ship world wide.
http://www.midwestmodelyachting.com

If you are going to race you might want to check the rules out before moving forward on this suggestion. I differ to those with greater knowledge of such things.
Good sailing
Windchaser
Rick

Jake Bullit

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 07:59:53 am »

Thanks for the info and pics WC.I have used trace wire ,turnbuckles,also through the deck eyebolts from PJ sails here in the UK.
Just waiting for new sails from Housemartin sails ,they should arrive this week,just in time for some decent weather .
 :}

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 03:57:26 pm »

Be sure to post some pictures of your boat for all to see. I enjoy seeing what others are doing and learning about other boats, especially picking up how to tips. There a a lot of boats out there to choose from and forums like this really provide insights one would not normally have. When I retire, I am going to attempt scratch building, but for now time constraints allow me only enough to build/assemble what I think of as kit boats.

I am considering getting getting the ENTZ, but read some reports on an RC forum here in the US a few blokes mentioned a few issues they had experienced. A chap in BC, Canada I chat with, has one, and has shared his disappointment with the kit he purchased. I'll leave it at that, because I have no first hand knowledge of the boat. I will be very interested in learning how your build goes and how she sails.  They are certainly are nice looking boats!

I am just finishing my 4th boat, which I feel very fortunate to have been able to acquire from a fellow who bought it back in 1996, but never got around to building it. The boat is no longer made and finding one took me almost 5 months of searching (Tamiya Yamaha Round the World) If you are not familiar with this one, it is a 1/20th scale model of the boat that won the Whitbread Round the World Race : 985mm long, 1814mm tall and 264mm wide.  I believe it is now called the Volvo RTW race. My thought was that if this boat was good enough to win a race around the world (36,000 Miles) it should be able to handle a small lake or pond with relative ease. Happy to report, she does.  I attached a picture or two for you to see.

I just began work on 1M Seawind (the Carbon Fiber edition, also a discontinued model) This is a joint project with a friend who has been building models of one kind or another for most of his life. He is 72 years young, a retired life guard with decades of boating experience. Interestingly, he builds more RC Aircraft than boats. He has more RC planes, boats and cars than any Hobby Shop I ever seen. Unlike me, he is one of those guys who can build almost anything and has the tools do it.  Don has been a great help to me, especially on the finer points of model building these things.

I will be taking some photos moving forward, and will share our comments along the way for those who may have an interest in this boat. Enjoy the build and
Good sailing
Windchaser

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 23 queries.