Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scam - AOL  (Read 2111 times)

sinjon

• Sinjon
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Bioat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Scam - AOL
« on: November 21, 2009, 09:44:58 am »

I get regular scams from ' banks ' regarding my account with them, which of course I don't hold.
Yesterday I almost got caught by a bogus AOL email , ( I am an AOL customer) a long explanation why I needed to contact them, otherwise my security would expire.
Phoned AOL this morning, and yes it is a scam, and a very convincing one at that. Be warned!

Colin

Colin

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
Re: Scam - AOL
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 09:54:53 am »

I must get 10 - 15 a week from banks etc.
Just hover your mouse over the link and the real address is shown at the bottom of the window, usually nothing like the one it's purporting to be.
Just ignore  them

stallspeed

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 10:01:10 am »

Could have titled that "Genuine scam - not just another snopes.com one on Mayhem"
An examination of the full email,with headers,usually shows html content is hosted on a dodgy source.Some are getting quite good at it,though.

The long Build

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 10:03:14 am »

Sad times really , I ignore all emails from banks etc , I always type in the web address to access them rather than a saved url , just small precautions but better to be safe than sorry.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 10:04:41 am »

And the situation is not altogether helped when your bank starts sending you genuine email newsletters as mine has.

Colin

The long Build

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 10:16:08 am »

Yes I get the odd from from mine , but in general they do not ask you to follow any links , Do they ?, when I get them I do look at them  but just ignore them if you know what I mean.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 10:43:58 am »

Yes, I know what you mean....  %)

Roger in France

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 05:12:16 pm »

Come the revolution all bankers must go to the wall first !

My French bank has an interesting code access system I have not seen elsewhere. They provide a square grid divided into boxes, most of which contain a number from 0 to 9, the others are blank. Each time you open the window the numbers appear in different squares and you must type your code by clicking on the numbered squares to compose the code.

Roger in France

oldernovice

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 05:32:20 pm »

Hi Roger,

Similar system with mine except you pick from an alphabetical list with the mouse so no key strokes to record, to give the code word letters. Access to on line banking via my debit card and authentication device is just about foolproof ( or should I say "crim" proof)

Have been looking recently for the book by the guy who took on the scammers and even convinced them he was in charge of church charity funds and needed $200 from them to be able to release funds and he got it...along with dozens of death threats as well.
Also asked them to prove their identity with a photo of them holding up a code word such as "plonker".
Jim

stallspeed

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 07:14:55 pm »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3887493.stm
It doesn't seem like five years ago.

wbeedie

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 07:55:24 pm »

Hi Roger,

Similar system with mine except you pick from an alphabetical list with the mouse so no key strokes to record, to give the code word letters. Access to on line banking via my debit card and authentication device is just about foolproof ( or should I say "crim" proof)

Have been looking recently for the book by the guy who took on the scammers and even convinced them he was in charge of church charity funds and needed $200 from them to be able to release funds and he got it...along with dozens of death threats as well.
Also asked them to prove their identity with a photo of them holding up a code word such as "plonker".
Jim
check out the site 419eaters just google it and all these scams are shown and scammers wound up  its a cracker    www.419eater.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.