Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 5578 times)

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
    • Miniature Merchant Ships
Windows 7
« on: November 20, 2009, 08:25:19 pm »

Have not been around much for two days.   have just got a new computer with Windows 7 in it.   Although I got it going easily enough, I think Windows 7 is the absolute "pits!"    My photo scanner will not work with it.   My PDF software doesn't work, my all-in-one scanner/printer will print, but not scan.    The obly thing I can say about it is that it works much faster on the internet!    Anyone else had problems with it rejecting quite common software?
Bob   
Regards
Positive

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 08:28:48 pm »

Blame the all-in-one scanner/printer Manufacturer for not getting a driver out in time they have had 3 year's notice of the new softwear try looking on there site for the new driver, if not shout at them.  <*<

Peter

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 08:33:22 pm »

The printer Epson RX420 works OK on Vista and that it fairly new.   I looked on line for a driver and none of them work!.   My Epson flatbed scanner will not work  and neither will my PDF Factory pro software or my small simple photo scanner!    They all work with Vista!
Bob
Regards
Positive

barryfoote

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 09:03:27 pm »

Do a search for updated drivers. You will find that the RX420 does work with Windows 7...

chingdevil

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 09:10:16 pm »

Windows 7 is rubbish, it has screwed up my e-mails with Windows Live Mail I now have Windows Live Messenger keep starting and I have no idea how to turn it off. My document folder views keeps changing as it does not appear to remember what I set it at the last time, it prevented me logging on to a site for an update to a piece of software saying it did not know how to send the password, I had to use a laptop with XP on it to do that.
It does not like my card reader and I think it hates my printer, it struggles to read any Cd's and the desktop keeps changing sizes after I log on. I have had to download new drivers for my graphics card twice and it is still not right.
All these problems and my PC is only four week old came with Vista 32 installed, heaven help people with older machines
Bring back Win 95 :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) at least I knew what had happened when the blue screen of death appeared.

Brian

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 09:26:02 pm »

I did search for drivers and downloaded one, but is still didn't work.   It will print OK, but it will no longer scan.    There is nothing wrong with scanner etc as they all work on my laptop with Vista!   Same with the flatbed scanner and the PDF software.     

Bob
Regards
Positive

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 09:37:53 pm »

My son, who is in IT, has been using Windows 7 release candidate for 5 or 6 months now, and tells me he thinks it's the best Windows yet. He has had no problems with any of his peripherals - printer, scanner etc. As HS93 said, hardware manufacturers have had plenty of time to release updated drivers, so if you are still having problems, shout at them.

Peter.

The long Build

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 10:20:48 pm »

I had no real issues, had to download a new driver for the hp printer/Scanner  , that now works , I did not use Windows live just the standard windows outlook , no problems there either  Only problem I did have was with Nero 7 , this is not compatibale and will NOT be made so,  either according to Nero. >:-o  Other than that I Like it.

But just incase I still have my other HD with Xp on ..

Larry

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 07:12:05 am »

Windows 7 accepted my Nero 9 and that works OK.     I know about searching for  and dowloading drivers, but that has been no help whatsoever.     I have done it and the icons appear on the desktop OK, but when I try to open them, I just get a message saying either they are not compatible, errors have ocurred or they just wont open!     No good complaining to the hardware maunufacturers, they are hardly going to drop everything and sort it out for a nobody.   I am just hoping that big companies will have similar problems.    It all seems very hit-and-miss.     A few people say it is great, but a lot more have similar problems to me.    I have been working with computers  since 1984, so am not exactly new to them.
Bob
Regards
Positive

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 09:54:49 am »

The magazine reviews I have read make a point of stating that a lot of the underlying code in Windows 7 is derived from Vista and that peripherals that worked with Vista should generally be OK in Windows 7. However the same would not apply if you are moving up from XP as the change from XP to Vista did throw up many driver problems.

Colin

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 10:37:33 am »

All the above mentioned works on a laptop that has Vista in it.     They also work in my old computer with XP, but are a dead loss with Windows 7.
As the old computer still works well on everything except the internet, I have removed the top drawer of my computer desk and put it in there.   I can now use it on its own for scanning, PDF, general storage on its hard disk and general word-processing!    The contents of the top drawer was largely "junk" so I took the opportunity to get rid of it.     All this Windows 7 computer is good for now is the internet, word processing and  photoshop.     I must admit, it is a great improvement on speed of operation on the internet.
Bob
Regards
Positive

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 10:42:22 am »

Bob,

I originally had a problem with one of my printers when connecting it to my Vista machine. In that case the solution was to use another driver for a similar model which was OK for normal printing. I assume you have already Googled the problem.

Colin

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 10:52:05 am »

The printer is an RX420 combined scanner/printer.    It prints OK, but it will not scan!      I wasted most of yesterday downloading various drivers from the interent and none of them worked.   They would usually download OK and then say that there was a problem or simply refuse to open.   I have given up now and am just hoping that the problems with Windows 7 will become widespread and force them to sort it out.
Bob
Regards
Positive

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 10:58:32 am »

I have given up now and am just hoping that the problems with Windows 7 will become widespread and force them to sort it out.
Bob

Don't hold your breath!!
Don't Assume Check

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 11:58:50 am »

I'm not.    But as the new computer works very well on the internet (definately a lot faster than the old one), I am just leaving it as it is and using the old one offline for anything else.
Bob
Regards
Positive

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 02:45:43 pm »

I had no problems getting both a Canon IP3000 printer and Canoscan scanner working on my new Dell with Win 7. I did find new drivers for the scanner on the Canon site.  I do have an issue with character encoding - I keep getting strange characters in my e-mails which are to do with the encoding scheme, but I'm not sure what scheme I should be using. I'm about to try and find some info on the internet now ok2

Barrie

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 06:49:13 pm »

Buy a Mac :-))

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2009, 07:22:24 pm »

Everything has settled down now with the old computer (with XP) functioning as well as it ever did, but it will never again be connected to the internet which was the only problem with it - ever slower and slower.    The New computer with the rubbish Windows 7 is superb on the internet, but not up to much on anything else, apart from an enormous hard -drive!
Bob
PS
Even got back to the FALLS OF FOYERS this afternoon!
Regards
Positive

The long Build

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 09:16:51 pm »

Buy a Mac :-))

Why is it raining there to.. :} :}

The long Build

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 09:28:54 pm »

Problem as I can see it is that I would expect old software not to always work on new systems, take Nero 7, this will not work with windows 7, however Nero 9 will albeit it they want £35.00 to upgrade  <*<  Where as an old BBC Computer game "Repton" by Superior Software I found which had been rewritten for the Pc also would not work , however an email to the software company and they sent me an upgrade for all 4 of the games for free. They now all work.

Would you truthfully expect software going back to Windows 98 to work ?. I see this as no difference , Yes It would be nice but software moves on.

My printer /Scanner works , my Webcan works infact every thing I have attached on the computer when it was running XP is still attached and working with windows 7 , Except Nero 7 , in case I had not mentioned it before...

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 10:11:08 pm »

It's a bit like saying your new 2.4ghz transmitter is rubbish 'cos it won't work with your 27mhz rec :-))

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 07:00:10 am »

Long Build

I've just written a CD on my new Dell with Win 7 using Nero Express v7 :-))

Have you checked for a new driver for your CD writer? Also I believe Win 7 has a built in CD/DVD writer - not tried it as I quite like Nero.

Barrie

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 09:18:58 am »

It isn't really like expecting a 2.4 Ghz system to work on 27Mhz.     Windows is Windows and I (and most other PC users) have been led to believe it is compatible.

I began with DOS and having sorted that all out after great effort, they introduced Windows, but made it clear that neither were compatible and everything learned about DOS would have to be forgotten.    I then laboriously learned about Windows 3.1.      Windows 98 then turned up and I found it a great improvement.    Then  came Wimdows 98 and again, it was different, but better and all my software funtioned.     Next came XP and that suited me admirably and I could find no fault with it.      Not content with that, they brought in Vista and again ALL my old software worked with it, but I did not feel it was quite as good as XP (just personal view), but was happy with it neverheless.       Then the much-vaunted Windows 7 came in with never a suggestion that some of my old software wouldn't work.     I found it very disappointing.      Althouth I prefer Microsfot Word, there are still some features that I prefer on Corel WP, but Windows 7 doesn't like the Corel either and although I can Word Process on it and even print it, it will not save documents at all!

Bob
Regards
Positive

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 11:05:41 am »

.    The New computer with the rubbish Windows 7 is superb on the internet....

I'm not sure what that means. Windows is an operating system, and it's not really going to affect internet speeds much.

You may be referring to a new version of Internet Explorer? Windows 7 includes the Internet Explorer 8 Web Browser, so that may be faster than what you were running before. But you should note that you can use many other web browsers, many (all!) of which are better than IE. You can download them on your windows system and try them out - FireFox is a very common one, I like Opera but it has to be admitted that Chrome is looking very good. Internet Explorer is never the fastest browser, ignores all standards requirements, and usually has the worst security problems...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 11:14:43 am »

For whatever reasons, Windows 7 is generally reported to be significantly faster then XP/Vista when browsing the Internet as Bob says.

Colin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 23 queries.