Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Hamina Class Missile Boat 1:28 Scale  (Read 66180 times)

Harrison

Re: Hamina Class Missile Boat 1:28 Scale
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2009, 09:48:29 am »

On to the capacitive barbette ring today, the reference design shows two chocks with a gound line beween them. I aim to simply create this in an arch over 270 degrees with the chip and other components in the other 90 degrees.

Harrison

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 12:12:39 am »

After some time with the cap sense dev kits I can see some potential issues with accuracy, it does seem to be influenced slightly by outside forces unlike potentiometers. I'm not so sure that I'd like it aiming the gun so I've been coming up with other ideas, this has probably been the most drawn out issue so far and any solution needs to be very accurate.

Harrison

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 08:31:30 am »

Accurate measurements can be obtained but its a bit demanding on the processor, there are so many other things that the system needs to be doing so reading the azimuth position should be a simple few milliseconds affair.

I think I will still use it, I do like the idea of an on/off switch/button which is not effected by the elements (like water and dirt).

I've come up with the concept of having another wheel (of equal diameter) as one suspended under the Barbette, the idea is that there will be a fishing lie pulley type system so that as the Barbette rotates as does the other wheel (which I think will be just under the deck in from of the gun. This will be directly connected to the Potentiometer, the only issue being that there will now be an additional 3 wires going from what would be a fixed point on the boat to somewhere which is moving as I can see over time the wires breaking.

I've planned for this anyway and included a pull up resistor on the input line (1M Ohm) so that in the even of any of the 3 wires breaking I will be able to detect the error and report it via the remote control.. for example.

If the ground wire breaks the input will float up to supply (3.3V) which it would never normally get to, likewise if the +v wire breaks the input will read 0V.. Another abnormal reading.

On a different note, the camera development kit arrived over the weekend, this will form the radar element using a laser line. It's several months away yet but I thought I's post a picture of it.

Harrison

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 08:40:30 am »

I was considering designing in my own brushless speed controller but as I can achieve the same results using controllers I have decided to use the two I picked up whilst I was in Hong Kong a couple weeks ago, they are 125A which should be enough to run my 2 Hacker A10S motors.

They are specifically marine with water cooling so no messing with potting my own which would almost be part of the main PCB so not desirable, only 750HKD each which was hard not snap up.. I would seriously consider a trip if you a keen modeller, they have pretty much everything in the R/C model district from static models to helicopters and everything in between.

Today I am going to try and design the wheel idea for the azimuth positioning, this is the last mechanical aspect of the gun to be completed so once the PCB arrives next week I should be able to start writing the software to control it.

Harrison

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 12:26:09 pm »

This is what I have come up with, this part of the deck will be removable for servicing the gun which also makes it easy to bench test, the gun deck part will sit flush with the deck and screw down on to a rubber seal which runs around the underside inside the fixing screw holes.

I will use fishing line and a single spring (to keep the tension), luckily there is a box of some type on the deck around where the pot is mounted so I am going to make that part the same as the break which sits in front of the gun.

You will notice a channel which runs under the break, this is for the wires from the Pot. It all needs to be tighter than a ducks bottom.

SinWin

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 01:14:14 pm »

This looks really, really cool! I'm looking forward to seeing more of this project - I would love to have a working gun and radar on my boat!

Harrison

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 01:24:05 pm »

I'll make sure as much information as possible is available to anyone wanting to create something on their own boat.

I just broke my last 2mm End Mill so no milling until some point tomorrow so I've decided to move on to the remote MK2 for now....

I picked up a cool little PCB mounted joystick in china a few weeks ago, I'm still not totally sure which one will go on but as you can see they are both pretty small.. This is a pound coin for anyone outside of the UK.

Harrison

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 03:56:56 pm »

I've gone for the flat joystick as it has a smoother action, here is what it's going to look like.. It will take 4AA cells either alkaline or rechargeable via USB (which will also be used for downloading mission data)

Harrison

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 09:18:43 am »

I started the PCB layout yesterday, I had pretty much already done the schematic (circuit diagram) over the last two weeks.

I've been giving much thought to what functionality the boat should have and for the controller I have come up with the following for the controller:

160x128 full colour TFT display
5 button keypad for menu navigation
Proportional joystick (2 channel)
Sounder for warnings etc..
Vibrator in case I can't hear the sounder
USB (Mini-B) for charging and downloading mission data
433MHz 2 way RF comms
4 x AA power
Temperature sensor

All the boat data will be displayed on the TFT using different modes.. It will have things like:

Battery voltage (pack1/pack2)
RF signal level (both boat and remote)
Battery temperature (pack1/pack2)
Motor temperature (motor1/motor2)
Motor current
Radar data
BB's remaining
Set rate of fire in rps
Set power of shot in fps
Missiles remaining
Depth charges remaining
Depth charge timer in seconds

I'd be happy for any inspiration at this stage as I wouldn't want to miss anything which would be nice to have.

Harrison

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 06:44:34 pm »

I finished the PCB layout today for the Remote and sent the files off (along with the gun controller) on a 5 day turn around so I should have some nice shiny new PCBs on Thursday at some point, the end mills arrive this afternoon.. A little late so no parts today, I'm pretty busy over the next few days so I'm not sure how much will get done.

I expect to the have the Azimuth positioning sorted out by or on Saturday so that will probably be the next big update.

Harrison

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2009, 02:41:48 pm »

I really just don't know where I get the time!

I've got all the important bits milled for the Azimuth positioning pot, I will now make a mock deck that I can clamp to the bench...

Harrison

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2009, 03:28:02 pm »

I can't find any fishing line anywhere, really quite annoying.

Lucky for me I have a fishing tackle shop on my street, it would be even better if I liked fishing!

Anyways, on to the mock deck.

SinWin

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2009, 04:49:14 pm »

I'm turning green with envy for every post you make, keep up the good work!

Harrison

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2009, 05:26:07 pm »

I've modelled what I think should do the job, it needs to be water tight so I've incorporated a seal that runs around outside the screws (which will have rubber washer seals. I will probably make a mould for the big seal and use silicone.

Harrison

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 06:05:05 pm »

Just milled the middle of the three parts which are shown above (the top part being the mock deck), this bit holds the seal and the gun deck sits on it flush with the deck.

Tomorrow afternoon I should be able to mill the part below (which holds the nuts), I was going to tap the plastic then thought 'it's going to be on and off quite a bit so metal nuts are needed'.

Harrison

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2009, 01:48:03 pm »

I've purchased some 'braid' from the local fishing shop, it is also used for fishing(so I am told) but seems to have attributes better suited to what is needed, the breaking weight is 18lbs.

Harrison

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2009, 01:49:17 pm »

I failed to mention that it workes perfectly, the smallest bit of rotational movement is transfered to the other wheel without any loss.

Harrison

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2009, 03:20:05 pm »

Just finished the gun deck mounting/seal system, it all fits together very nicely. I have left 0.5mm all the way around so it's not too tricky to get in and easy to line up the fixing screws, once the PCB arrives on Thursday I will be able to get the elevation motor fitted and that will conclude the gun mechanics.

I'll order some solatex over the weekend but leave covering it until it's had a good few weeks of good testing.

I suppose I should get on with the hull and superstructure design, my milling machine table area is limited to about 300mm x 400mm so I will probably have to make my bulkhead spacings 300mm as my deck sections will of course be cut on the machine.

The bulkheads will be waterjet cut 5mm or 10mm aluminium with aluminium sheet panels which will be welded to the bulkheads using easyweld or some low temperature welding product.

steve pickstock

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2009, 04:41:59 pm »

Yer a flash git! I know that much.

This is very nice work - I look forwards to it every day.

Harrison

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2009, 04:58:31 pm »

I try!

Been thinking about the hull quite a bit, I don't want to get it wrong yet there is little data available other than the drawing sent to me by Akers Finnyard. It is of course very nice and offers better detail than anything available on line but It don't give me very good hull profile data, a 3D model of the actual hull would be the ideal solution....

Maybe some time should be given for trying to get hold of this data!?

andyn

« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2009, 10:28:33 pm »

I'll order some solatex over the weekend but leave covering it until it's had a good few weeks of good testing.

Solatex is horrrrrrible, try Profilm :-))

Harrison

« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2009, 11:58:42 pm »

Does it have a similar thick matt type textured finish?

andyn

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2009, 01:22:00 am »

Should imagine so, I've only ever used the shiney stuff but I expect you can get some matt.

Harrison

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2009, 08:24:08 am »

The difference between solatex and solafilm is that the film is shiny, thin and quite fragile(it will rip easily), solatex is much thicker and more like fabric. It is very tough compared to films.

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2009, 09:51:25 am »

hi harrison

your project is superb exactly the type of thing i love. if you sail in newhaven i guess your fairly close to me i'm in tonbridge, west kent
when it's finished make sure you come visit the cygnets mbc in mote park maidstone.

phil
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.