Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Hamina Class Missile Boat 1:28 Scale  (Read 66169 times)

Harrison

Re: Hamina Class Missile Boat 1:28 Scale
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2009, 09:57:09 am »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the offer, I will surely be looking for places to sail the beast and inland lakes are preferable. I am quite a bit closer to you than Newhaven (about 25 minutes) so perhaps I could pop up and check it out one coming weekend, when do you sail?

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2009, 02:51:55 pm »

best time is any sunday morning. location mote park maidstone. check out www.cygnetsmbc.com for more information. let me know when your going and i'll make sure i'm there

look forward to seeing it

phil

Harrison

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2009, 05:44:01 pm »

To many posts without stuff to look at...

Here is the most up to date virtual model of the gun, it is as per the actual hardware.

Harrison

« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2009, 09:15:45 pm »

I keep looking at this 68ci fiber wrap paintball cylinder and thinking that I should be using it for the gun instead of the CO2 bulbs, I've definitely got the space for it but I would need to try and make a low friction seal which will rotate easily.
I think that a fixed hose would restrict the guns rotational movement, I would definitely get a lot more shots before the vessel gets so cold that the power noticeably drops off.

It would be a simple addition so something that I should think about when doing the bulkhead designs.....

Harrison

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2009, 11:16:41 pm »

I'm not sure it's gonna sail!

Harrison

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2009, 11:55:03 pm »

Please can someone pass the glue!

Harrison

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2009, 11:56:48 pm »

It's all the clearing up I have to do at the end of the day which is the worst bit, sometimes the crumbs get stuck in the keyboard  :-))

Harrison

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2009, 12:35:45 am »

I can see this bit taken a good few days to get right, I'm still unsure of the exact lines as the drawings I have (although very good) are not very detailed on the hull shape.. As much as I would like some better existing data, I may have to make a best guess and go for a design which looks right above the waterline and gives the best chance of getting it on the plane.

Harrison

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2009, 12:40:00 am »

That's enough for tonight, I'll try and get most the hull constructed over the weekend.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Harrison

« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2009, 04:39:49 pm »

I've done a bit more of the hull today, I'm now at the difficult part where the crease starts..

Harrison

« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2009, 04:17:19 pm »

Today I changed over to a valve with a bigger port size as I wanted to increase the power, I managed to get up to 152.9fps (2.74pds) before the valve stuck open... I've got another one on order which should hopefully be here tomorrow, I'd be gutted if the PCB arrived and I could fire the gun!

I've not really had much chance to do anything on the hull so far this week, that thing you have to do which pays the bills got in the way again. I'm hoping to get a bit more done tonight, I've ordered some Techno-Weld aluminium welding rods which will be used to weld the hull together (hopefully).

I'm still trying to figure out how the aluminium hull is going to mate up with the plastic deck and superstructure with a good level of accuracy, I've been up for a good hour each night trying to get to sleep over it.

Harrison

« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2009, 11:21:48 pm »

My man on the inside has really come through for the build, I have managed to obtain drawings of the bulkhead sections. This is really great news as my attempts at the hull design were a little more like Thrust SSC!

I'll get right on it tomorrow and hopefully by some time next week I should have something which resembles a hull, I'm undecided on sheet or strips of aluminium.. On one hand the sheets will require less welding but strips will be easier to bend an work with, I suppose I will have to see which works out easiest.

The welding rods are £22.50 for 10 and they are 250mm in length each so thats 2.5 meters of weld for £22.50, quite expensive if I use thin strips for the hull skin.

Harrison

« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2009, 10:23:50 am »

No deliveries yet... I have started on the new accurate hull design, I've basically created sketches by tracing over each bulkhead drawing. I've had to scale them to 1:28 and I'm only doing half the hull so as to minimise possible errors induced by myself, it should simply be a case of doing a mirror copy at the end.

Harrison

« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2009, 11:11:22 am »

About half way

Harrison

« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2009, 11:33:03 am »

It was more like a 1/4, this is 18 metres of 42 so still not quite half way.

Still no deliveries  <:(

Harrison

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2009, 11:51:59 am »

23 Metres, just over half way. I bet someone just hacked this hull design out of a piece of clay!

I have just had a very cool thought... I can remove everything above the waterline, assign the solid part the material 'Water' and it will give me the exact mass. I will then be able to see exactly how much weight I can have and where without it even seeing the lake...  Sweet.

Harrison

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2009, 12:47:28 pm »

At the 30 Metre point, I think a combination of thin strips and larger sheets will be required. I'm not sure exactly how just yet but I may be able to unwrap the skin at different points which could give me a template for cutting the aluminium, I suppose water jet would be the cheapest option.

Harrison

« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2009, 01:03:12 pm »

A bit more.

Harrison

« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2009, 02:50:42 pm »

Voila!

Harrison

« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2009, 03:00:23 pm »

A littel glimpse of whats to come.

Harrison

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2009, 04:22:57 pm »

The new valve arrived about an hour ago, I've got it back on the gun an test fired.. All seems to be working correctly.

The PCBs have arrived... Here is a snap of the PCB.

Harrison

« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2009, 04:25:54 pm »

This is what it looks like on the gun, I need to populate it with components.. This I will do over the next few days.

Harrison

« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2009, 06:12:21 pm »

I thought that I may as well get it out of the way, it only took me 40 minutes.

andyn

« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2009, 06:46:02 pm »

Amazing work, can this be moved to build masterclasses yet?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.