Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Hamina Class Missile Boat 1:28 Scale  (Read 66164 times)

Harrison

Re: Hamina Class Missile Boat 1:28 Scale
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2009, 06:56:16 pm »

I've just installed the populated PCB, just need to connect up the Azimuth pot and make a dummy master control PCB to act as the boats main PCB, this is because I've designed a custom type of comms buss where any system attached will have a unique address so limitless add-ons.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2009, 07:02:18 pm »

looks realy good. just wish i knew what the blue blazes you are talking about! and what are you hoping to acheive, apart from a pest destroying boat!
colin
grumpy old XXX

Harrison

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2009, 07:16:22 pm »

Ever since I got in to boats I always dreamed of having a working gun, something that up to a couple years ago I wouldn't have had the understanding to do. I guess I'm just making up for lost time, or maybe I just want to do it because it seems pretty cool.. Actually I think it's both..

I've still got loads more to do on it and for me building it is the best bit, I am looking forward to destroying some model drug running Nikko speedboats!

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2009, 09:02:45 pm »

gets my vote, perhaps some of the RTR from the high street as well??!!
what program are you using for the Dwg's?
colin
grumpy old XXX

Harrison

« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2009, 09:19:24 pm »

A TLA which I am not familiar with... RTF I know, is it Ready to Run?

I was sinking of something cheap from Maplins, sorry I meant thinking.

I'm using Solidworks for the 3D stuff.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2009, 09:31:56 pm »

rtr, ready to run, or not, as is usual. from maplins more often than not!!!!
solid works, you made of money?
colin
grumpy old XXX

Harrison

« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2009, 09:35:57 pm »

I've inserted some planes at 150mm spacing so I can create the bulkheads for the model, I've changed the view type which outlines the basic lines although the changes in surface direction are actually so shallow that you cant see them otherwise. This view makes everything a little easier to see.

Harrison

« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2009, 09:37:23 pm »

It's a work tool so I get to use it for hobby stuff also, there are cheaper (some would say better) packages out there.

Harrison

« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2009, 09:41:36 pm »

I have to say that this is the first time I have used lofts so a bit of a learning curve considering that the entire hull is made of them.

Harrison

« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2009, 10:00:06 pm »

Bulkheads... I think they are looking a bit solid though

Harrison

« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2009, 10:16:37 pm »

That's enough for tonight... Hopefully I can get the longways supporty bits in so it doesn't fall apart (anyone know what they are called?)

kno3

« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2009, 10:14:48 am »

Sweet, can't wait to see it built and sinking ships!  :-))

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2009, 05:04:57 pm »

That's enough for tonight... Hopefully I can get the longways supporty bits in so it doesn't fall apart (anyone know what they are called?)

longerons
Don't Assume Check

Harrison

« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2009, 08:44:55 pm »

That would have been my first guess!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2009, 09:34:48 pm »

Fronttobackerons? Bowtosternablies? ...

I've already got me coat on....  :P
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2009, 12:16:10 pm »

or possibly stringers  :-))
Don't Assume Check

Harrison

« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2009, 11:32:34 pm »

I've had to backtrack slightly as I need a few Keelerons as my bulkhead designs will be effected by where I put them, I'm going for a keel and two either side. This should keep everything in place while the hull is constructed/welded, it looks like the hull panels will sit slightly high all the way around so the deck will sit inside and I can silicon seal it all the way around... I think pictures and progress will offer better explanation.

Harrison

« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2009, 12:16:41 pm »

I wasn't sure about having the Keelerons at the full length of the boat as the sheet of aluminium from which it will be cut will be quite big, but as all the bulkheads will come out of the same bit it made sense.

I've included the provision for the Paintball tank as I think ultimately the gun wants to use this over a small CO2 supply, there is after all lots of space.

Harrison

« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2009, 05:25:43 pm »

I've managed to send commands to the Gun from my dummy command PCB using the experimental communications bus, the gun is receiving the command as I can turn on and off the power/fault LED... For some reason I'm not getting anything back...

I am currently investigating this.

Harrison

« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2009, 06:49:51 pm »

Fricking computers! Blinking compiler is out of date and I am running unsupported beta version.... Very annoying!

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2009, 08:25:40 pm »

as before, wish i new what you were talking about.
have every faith in you
colin
grumpy old XXX

Harrison

« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2009, 11:57:14 am »

I just make it up as I go along

Harrison

« Reply #97 on: December 15, 2009, 12:50:42 pm »

Doh!

I have put diodes on the TX outputs from each device on the bus so that they can not conflict with each other (e.g. if the gun TX pin goes high and at the same time the main control board TX pin goes low then they will fight each other resulting in no comms and possibly damage to the chips), by putting diodes on each of the TX pins they can pull the RX bus line low but not each other..

I had forgotten that I am using an RF module on my dummy main control PCB... It of course has TX and RX pins, diode added there and all working OK, now I will start writing the software inside the microcontroller in both the gun PCB (as per the pictures) and the dummy main controller PCB which I have basically lashed together so that I have something for the gun PCB to talk to/receive commands from.

I hope to have azimuth and elevation movement by the end of the day, there will need to be a routine (section of software (also known as 'code')) which takes the current position (known by the reading from the POT (potentiometer) and then moves the motors until that POT reads what we want it to... For example: it's at 100 (about 9 o'clock) and we want to move to 12 o'clock, thats about 1500 on the POT...

We can't just start the motor then stop it when it gets there as it will almost certainly overshoot and to kick in the motor at full voltage would be bad for pretty much everything.. We need to take the motor from stop to full speed in about 500ms (half a second) then when it gets close to 12 o'clock then slow it down so nice and smooth, this then means a simple command of only a few bytes needs to be sent to it... HEY GUN, MOVE AZIMUTH, 1500.. which looks a bit like GAM<1500>

I'll try and explain as much as I can but if anyone doesn't understand anything and would like to then please ask, I will be happy to answer any questions.

Harrison

« Reply #98 on: December 15, 2009, 03:15:18 pm »

I seem to have a new problem, the gun PCB is drawing about 500mA. That's about 490mA more than it should be without runnings motors, I've isolated it down to the P-Channel FETS on both 'H' bridges controlling the motors. I may have put the wrong parts on the board or got the pins wrong when creating the PCB footprint for that part.

Harrison

« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2009, 03:01:30 pm »

"xxxxx".....

I would like to say that there should be some kind of temporary storage for text entered in to this field so that if the back button is pressed in haste due to the image attachment being too large it doesn't loose everything you have just spent 15 minute typing out!

I've managed to get the motor control routines working exactly as I would like with all possible parameters being easy to adjust remotely, I've only implemented the 'smarter' movement on the 'Elevation Upwards' part but it is a simple copy, paste, edit for elevation down and Azimuth clockwise and anticlockwise so that I will be doing next.

It's too easy to get absorbed in writing software and what seems like moments turns in to.. well.. half days! It's all in the detail..

I've got the reload working using a simple (run feeder for 0.8 seconds per BB required) routine but this is unreliable as the motor may be slowed by the random configuration and quantity of the BB's inside the feeder, this is why a reed switch is to be used which counts the times the disc magnets (holding each BB as it rotates) passes over the reed switch.

Here is a video of the movement, notice that the Upwards starts off fast and slows as it reaches it set postion, the downwards is at a set speed (slow enough not to overshoot)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Oaj0qoSlE

This is an image of the current setup, you can see the 2 x 3 cell Li Po packs.. The other board is  providing an RF link to the PC and supplying 3.3V from the 24V for the electronics and motors.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 23 queries.