Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Hamina Class Missile Boat 1:28 Scale  (Read 66181 times)

Harrison

Re: Hamina Class Missile Boat 1:28 Scale
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2009, 03:34:02 pm »

Up and Down both working in harmony, now on to the feeder reed switch bit as that ties in with the reload which requires the elevation.

Harrison

« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2009, 03:36:58 pm »

Out of curiosity, I wonder what makes a thread 'New'?

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2009, 04:19:04 pm »

I like the other video of the rapid fire you have uploaded as well.  :-)
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

Harrison

« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2009, 04:21:58 pm »

Many more to come, I'm just sorting out the reload so that one will be next.. Unfortunately photos don't really illustrate much of the work done in software.

Harrison

« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2009, 05:45:40 pm »

I've just got the reload routines working nicely using the reed switch to count in the rounds, as the hopper holds about 8 comfortably (the total amount is 'Top Secret').. Well, you do have to have some aire of mystery!
Where was I?
Oh yes... as the hopper holds about 8 comfortably I have set the reload point to 7 so when 7 shots have been fired it will reload.

I will also set a reload function just in case 5 have been fired and can a further volley of 5-6 rounds are required soon but not immediately.. This will reload what is missing from the hopper.

Anyway, here is the video clip.. It takes ages to upload these darned things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqgE4pQaC8w

steve pickstock

« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2009, 08:51:58 am »

I know this is taking some work - but have you given any thought to how to aim it?

Would be a shame to have such a cool piece of kit but not be able to put rounds on target.

Harrison

« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2009, 09:03:12 am »

Hi Steve,

Indeed..

It was one of many night time thoughts, this is the plan.

There is going to be a camera on top of the boat either where the long range radar unit is located (360 deg rotation) or in the range finder above the bridge, this is going to do a few things.. Provide a view which will be displayed on the controller screen, use a parallel laser beam to determine range (the radar) and for guidance of ordinance... the gun and other things not yet covered, I have a laser output on the board of the gun which is switched on when a target is selected it will move to the same azimuth position always pointing down the barrel (considering the distance apart from the camera) then the fine tuning will be that the laser dot seen by the camera will be moved to the center of the screen (where I am aiming)...

The other method which will also be possible is that you could use a laser pointer which is pulsed with an encoded sequence (like Morse) which the camera will be looking for on it's radar rotations, once it finds it depending on which (Morse) code it is it will assign the gun and fire that many shots or release something else which I haven't covered yet.

As range is known and power/elevation is fully controlled, hitting the target every time shouldn't be a problem.

Harrison

« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2009, 12:03:07 pm »

I've got a few ideas for a hose BB feed system using a wheel with magnets to push them along the tube (a bit like a dialysis machine), this is good as it will not cause damage if there is a jam and allow an unlimited number of rounds to the gun at a rate equal to the rate of fire..
I've also been giving the gun part a few redesign ideas to try and get the maximum possible air flow from the valve to the ball without loosing any in actuating plungers etc.. Based on some testing with another valve and a BB in a similar piece of tube as my barrel I am seeing speeds of almost 3 times what I get with the gun...

I suppost the great thing about the way the gun is made (without glue) is that I can upgrade with new designs just by undoing screws and swapping over the bits.

steve pickstock

« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2009, 12:10:29 pm »

"As range is known and power/elevation is fully controlled, hitting the target every time shouldn't be a problem."

Oh yes, the mantra of gunners down through the ages. {-) {-) {-) {-)

Harrison

« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2009, 01:28:00 pm »

I'm 'aiming' for an 'accurate' recreation of the full size gun it it's functionality, a shame I can't have exploding rounds though.

I have to say that apart from really modern guns, there aren't many that have the electronics that this one does. There is going to be an accelerometer on the main board so as the boat rocks and moves the barrel will stay exactly where it should be, at leaset that's the plan.

Harrison

« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2009, 02:46:13 pm »

I've just finished populating (assembling) the controller board MK1, I've used an 'off the shelf' RF module just for now as I need a working remote to allow development of the gun. There is no magic inside the module so don't be fooled by the gold can, it's just a chip and a few other components not unlike others on the main board...

You can see the USB connector (middle left) and the vibrator at the bottom, it all fits nicely in the back of the case but some milling is required for the buttons, joystick, USB and RF connector..

Harrison

« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2009, 02:48:02 pm »

Here is the blank 4 cell case.

Harrison

« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2009, 02:51:03 pm »

And the display being used, it is a 128 x 160 pixel full colour TFT 1 and 3/4 inch

Harrison

« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2009, 08:24:15 pm »

I'm making quite slow progress with the comms, I've spent the last two days trying to get the exchange of data over the air fast enough so that the controls seems proportional like a standard remote but allowing communication both ways for handshaking (can you hear me, yes I can hear you, oh thats good to know, we're all happy then).

I can move the joystick and get the turret to move which I doubt will ever need to be done as its a 'go to' type system, but it's a good test for the boat controls as we can't have jerky throttling of steering.

I'm pretty Happy with it so far so I'm moving on to the display, you may have seen the rendering (computer generated drawing) of the remote a couple pages back.. I am hoping to get something like this on the display so I expect my next post will hopefully have some pictures, if it comes to it I could always try and get some of my Gran naked to break up the text.

Harrison

« Reply #114 on: December 22, 2009, 07:06:35 pm »

It's been a real pain trying to get the azimuth control working precisely, thankfully it's working well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W7vJ0UzhGY

Here is a video clip of the movement, I'm sending two different position commands. One is middle and level barrel and the other is about 100 degrees to the right (some seafaring types refer to it as starboard) aiming up, the accuracy is about 5.8 points per degree.

I think I have the following correct (I'm sure there are some super whiz maths peeps who may wish to correct me if I am wrong, which would of course be appreciated)

The range of 10 metres or 10,000mm gives a circumference of about  2 * PI * R = 2 * 31,416 = 32,432mm

32,432/ 360 = 90.08

90.08 / 5.8 = 15.5

15.5mm over 10m is pretty good, thats a 116 holes down the length of my boat...

At 30 metres it would be45mm

Harrison

« Reply #115 on: December 23, 2009, 02:19:17 pm »

Done a bit more controller work today, I've got some graphics up on the display. The colours don't show up so well with the camera as the blue looks light and washed out but it's actually deep and vibrant.

Going to get some text up next display the vitals like voltages etc..

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #116 on: December 23, 2009, 02:44:17 pm »

The range of 10 metres or 10,000mm gives a circumference of about  2 * PI * R = 2 * 31,416 = 32,432mm

32,432/ 360 = 90.08

90.08 / 5.8 = 15.5

15.5mm over 10m is pretty good, thats a 116 holes down the length of my boat...

At 30 metres it would be45mm

Its probably me, but where does the 32,432mm come from ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Harrison

« Reply #117 on: December 23, 2009, 03:14:57 pm »

Indeed, I think everything needs doubling.

It's 30mm at 10m

Harrison

« Reply #118 on: December 23, 2009, 03:15:40 pm »

6cm at 30 metres

steve pickstock

« Reply #119 on: December 23, 2009, 03:30:23 pm »

Okay fella - I think you're having conversations with yourself again.

I understand some of the working out but I think you have explain some of these numbers in crayon - for the likes of me.

Are you talking about the degrees of rotation and what they translate to at a distance of 10m from the vessel?

Harrison

« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2009, 03:36:30 pm »

I was working out the distance between where rounds would theorytically hit based on my rotational steps, I have 1024 steps in about 200 degrees...

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2009, 03:45:04 pm »

Reckon its about 36 mm at 10M

2πr=2x3.146x10,000=62,832

62,382÷360x200=34906,666

34906,666 ÷1023gaps=35.930

Harrison

« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2009, 04:04:25 pm »

That looks about right

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2009, 04:07:13 pm »

Thank god for that, the grey matter must still be working. ;)

Harrison

« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2009, 04:29:13 pm »

I'm still trying to decide on a layout that looks ok and shows all the immediate stuff, there can be different screens for different modes. Cruising mode would have speed, battery voltage, motor and speed controller temperature. Weapons mode would have rounds left, power, rate of fire, radar etc..

It's a shame that the colours don't seem to show up with the camera, the green looks just like white  :((
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.