Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Hamina Class Missile Boat 1:28 Scale  (Read 66212 times)

Harrison

Re: Hamina Class Missile Boat 1:28 Scale
« Reply #200 on: May 04, 2010, 12:14:08 pm »

I've decided to go with the same aluminium servo brackets from active robots with plastic snap rivets, I think that with the nut and bolt situation there could be some corrosion with salt water and they could work loose. Snap rivets on the other hand always apply pressure to the fixtures and will not introduce any galvanic corrosion issues.

I'm going to have the whole hull anodised once the skin has been welded to the bulkheads, as I expect a good long life out of this boat considering the amount of time that's going in to it.

The deck will almost definitely be sealed with clear silicon sealant where it meets the hull and superstructure, with 'hand' access to each set of bulkhead snap rivets the deck should be easy to remove once the sealant has been peeled off (if a refit is required). The snap rivets to deck will be recessed from the top to conceal the heads and some sealant used to fill these, the servo brackets will then remain a part of the deck section when it is removed.

Harrison

« Reply #201 on: May 04, 2010, 12:20:16 pm »

Each deck section is going to join at the bulkhead, this is good as it means there is less chance of water leaking in to the boat as the sealed joins will be very ridged. Also it reduces the amount of fixings required for the brackets.

Harrison

« Reply #202 on: May 04, 2010, 05:38:02 pm »

More boring repetition... %%

Harrison

« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2010, 06:10:09 pm »

Another picture of some progression in the repetitive bracket placement

Harrison

« Reply #204 on: May 05, 2010, 12:04:27 am »

Blimey, I'm glad that's over...

Now it's on to the deck sections.

Harrison

« Reply #205 on: May 05, 2010, 08:53:37 am »

I've found an unopened pack of 3mm black polyethylene which is exactly what I would be using for the deck, there is 2.5sq metres so more than enough for the deck and possibly the superstructure. On the full size boat, the hull is made of aluminium and superstructure from composite materials so this is probably the best option as polyethylene is very easy to mill.

As you can see, I have modelled the aft most deck section which only took a few minutes. I'll need to consider access on all the other sections.

Currently she weighs in at 6.77kg, that will of course drastically change with the deck and hull skin.

Harrison

« Reply #206 on: May 05, 2010, 11:59:04 am »

Access to the drive servo bay is a little restricted, there is very little room for the lower seal part which needs to be in two parts 'back to back' as it has a seal channel on the top and hexagonal nut recesses underneath for the stainless securing nut/bolt jobbys. If I've lost you then look back to how I have sealed the gun section to the hull, I plan on using the same system for access panels on the deck.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: May 05, 2010, 12:09:42 pm »

Harrison.......I note that this posting will be >>>>> over two hundred in number, however the vast % are posts by you

I also see that the imaging software you offer does not afford you with the critical "diminshing" point of view as displayed in Deck1. jpg

Parallism is fine in plan & elevation or a singular plane ....but certainly is not acceptable in 3D...

Please correct me if I am missing something here.............Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Harrison

« Reply #208 on: May 05, 2010, 12:19:24 pm »

Hi Derek,

I would hope that almost all the posts are by myself as this is a build thread which should document progress of the build and not facilitate chit chat between members, that would be for another area as I am sure you would agree..

Are you suggesting there is an issue with the package or my presentation of the image?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #209 on: May 05, 2010, 12:50:46 pm »

Harrison.....interestingly your latest image Deck2. jpg from this evening does display ...the critical "diminshing" point of view  :-))

Just review your earlier image Deck1. jpg & I am sure you see/understand the basis of my comment ......Derek O0
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Harrison

« Reply #210 on: May 05, 2010, 12:53:59 pm »

The aft deck section has been modified between the two images which may have caused confusion.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: May 05, 2010, 01:09:43 pm »

Harrison....the moderators here @ Mayhem OK....

Just review your earlier image Deck1. jpg & if you agree that the image is not correct....... O0 .... ask & I am sure the image can be removed....Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Harrison

« Reply #212 on: May 05, 2010, 01:15:33 pm »

Hi Derek,

I'm not sure what you mean about correct? I had made a change to the design of the aft deck section between postings, it is just a progression of the development so I don't want to delete it... As I build this boat I will find things that don't fit together because other things are in the way or, I may have overlooked something which I later notice... It's all part of the build and should be included.

I good example of this is the initial hull design based on the basic drawings... I abandoned this design when I was given the bulkhead profiles by Akers Finnyard, I have kept the posts from this early design as it was part of the build.

Harrison

« Reply #213 on: May 05, 2010, 02:06:28 pm »

Ok, so Deck2 (second from where I started) seal and fixing plate is done, there are some hex drops in the underside of the sticky-out holes.. as I will be using a 2mm end mill the smallest radius I can mill is 1mm, this will mean that the nuts will press and stay in place as the radius of an M3 nut hex is quite a bit less than 1mm. This method has worked very well with the gun deck fixings so I see no reason why it won't work here.

Harrison

« Reply #214 on: May 05, 2010, 02:07:54 pm »

ncidentally, I am not looking forward to the water jet cutting quote.... Those longerons are 1800mm long and 5mm thick.

Harrison

« Reply #215 on: May 05, 2010, 02:41:22 pm »

The cutters have stock of 5mm aluminium so the longerons are taken care of, they've said that 2.5mm (for the bulkheads), is pretty cheap so no real issues there.

Deck section 2 all done and on to the next.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #216 on: May 05, 2010, 02:50:27 pm »

I think Derek's complaining about a lack of perspective. The images (to me) look isometric.

Both are valid ways of demo-ing a 3d view, Derek.

Personally I'm enjoying the design side of this build. ...Though I look forward to seeing it become a real thing.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Harrison

« Reply #217 on: May 05, 2010, 02:56:03 pm »

The view is indeed isometric, this view makes mating easier.

I'm looking to get the bulkheads and longerons cut in the week after next and welded in place, at some point between now and then I'll make some kind of an attempt to obtain the skin outlines from creating surfaces... Not my strong point I can say.

Harrison

« Reply #218 on: May 05, 2010, 03:01:30 pm »

The keen eye will notice that the deck is not sitting on the aftmost bulkhead, this is because the servo brackets are at 90 degrees and the deck is at an angle running down the boat.

The brackets will bend to accommodate this angle but I'm not going to spend time creating a new set of servo brackets for each bulkhead section, instead I'm leaving it flat for the design until the deck is built and then I'll rotate all the deck sections virtually so that they are all collinear ready for the superstructure design.

steve pickstock

« Reply #219 on: May 05, 2010, 03:38:26 pm »

I have no idea what the hell you're talking about but I follow this thread eagerly with every post.

Like the others I can't wait to see this puppy float, zoom and blast things out of the water!

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #220 on: May 05, 2010, 06:50:32 pm »

As per the other comments, i am also watching this thread with interest. Having used Cad to design/draw various projects i also have left the fettling to the real life build. there is always something that does not come to light until bits get fitted in reality. carry on the good work. and please post piccies of the real model. cant wait
regards
colin
grumpy old XXX

Harrison

« Reply #221 on: May 05, 2010, 06:57:40 pm »

It's really nice to see it has some dedicated followers, thanks.

I'll post pictures of every single part when it's made and going together, I've not done any TIG welding before so that will be fun.. I'll get a bit of practice in on some scrap bits before hand but I am expecting some float tests in the next few weeks.. Fingers crossed.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #222 on: May 06, 2010, 07:29:25 am »

Gents...please..... >:-o  I was not complaining...just a simple observation & I still contend that the .jpg snaps of deck1 & deck2 are of differing "as displayed" orientation

I too look forward to each new batch of images  :-)) .......but I think I said that a few weeks ago  O0 ........Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Harrison

« Reply #223 on: May 06, 2010, 08:14:36 am »

Ok, just to clear this up. All images are 'Print Screen' snaps converted to jpg's in paint, I have at no point changed from an Isometric view so any perceived difference must be an optical illusion.

Harrison

« Reply #224 on: May 06, 2010, 08:41:03 am »

There is a good 90mm tall hole on this hatch, as all the other bulkheads are equally spaced it should give good access to all the electronicals.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.