Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hamina Class Missile Boat 1:28 Scale  (Read 66172 times)

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hamina Class Missile Boat 1:28 Scale
« Reply #225 on: May 06, 2010, 10:40:03 am »

I have built and run a kehrer Pibber. " water jets, goes like stink. Thought i would pass on a problem i have with jet drives/Reversing.
First of, if the motors are run in reverse, nought happens.
To get it to go in reverse a "damn" is pulled up, blocking the outlet, and forcing water out through a "hole" in the bottom of the drive unit, torwards the bow. hence reverse. There in lies an exciting problem. if you chuck it in to reverse when the boat has any kind of forward momentum, the bow "dives". Now while this can be fun to watch, it doesnt do the boat any favours. She takes on water.
I have just bought a new transmitter that is programable and i am going to look into mixing motors and the reversing servos so that if the reverse is used the motors are cut.
The other thing i am going to look into is when i bought the kit i ordered reversing buckets. Now for some reason known only to my younger self i never fitted these. Just used the "damns" that came with the jet units.
wether these will make any difference i dont know. I will try them out, Very CAUTIOUSLY. can get expensive otherwise.

love yer Cad skills, wish i couls afford inventor. just use Turbo Cad. not quite so easy to use.

Colin
grumpy old XXX

Harrison

« Reply #226 on: May 06, 2010, 08:09:31 pm »

Thanks for the advice.  :-))

The motors are only running forwards with the buckets for reverse, there will be an accelerometer on board which will take care for ensuring that the boat behaves in a realistic manner. If I through it in reverse it should slow down in a scale fashion, or at least that is the plan.. I expect that there will be an override function but the software will be written so all power is smooth in comming in, I'm not using a standard remote so the sky's the limit on servo control.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #227 on: May 06, 2010, 09:20:34 pm »

oh gawd, more geeky info please!LOL. and i,m strugling with my bog standard Futaba kit. and i mean strugling. did buy a servo slower downer today for the buckets.
just fitted one of them, buckets that is, shaped quite differently to the "damns" fitted previosly. will look back through youre thread to see if they bear any resemblance to my new ones.
colin
grumpy old XXX

Harrison

« Reply #228 on: May 09, 2010, 05:13:21 pm »

A bit more progress made today, I've decided to do all the Deck parts then seals then covers in an attempt to make it less boring.

Once you've done three it starts to get a little dull!

I'm going to add a few mounting holes in the bulkheads for things like speed controllers, electronics etc.. as I want to get them cut out while I am away for a couple weeks, this gives me all next week to try and make sure I have everything covered that may possibly go below deck...

I was thinking of storing the depth charges below on a sloping storage type affair with some kind of chain lift which will bring it up at an angle, switching it on with a magnet/reed switch then set the depth/time with infra red just before dumping it overboard. Obviously a lot more could be stored below deck so I'm thinking it may be a good idea, the aluminium servo brackets are favourite so as long as there are plenty of holes on each bulkhead It's pretty well futureproofed.

Harrison

« Reply #229 on: May 12, 2010, 09:13:04 pm »

I've been giving some serious though to the couplings and although they seem great, the Huco ones just aren't going to handle the power at the RPM I will be reaching.

I am thinking that perhaps, I need to go for a solid stainless coupling with set screws and make sure that the motor mounts can adjust to hold the motor perfectly aligned.

My local engineering company can produce these for me for less than the cost of the Huco couplings and I am sure that they will be better balanced as they will have a much smaller outer diameter and have better symmetry, I will put the set screw on opposite sides at each end so that any imbalance will be a gyration and not a wobble.

The pressure is on for me to get the hull part finished before I go away, rather come back to cut bulkheads than wait for 2 weeks..

andyn

« Reply #230 on: May 12, 2010, 10:18:48 pm »

Have a look at NoMustangMark's couplings, they have two metal part to them like the huco but have a silicon tube in the middle. I've not used one but think it's a very good idea.

Harrison

« Reply #231 on: May 13, 2010, 12:07:03 am »

Hi Phil,

Thanks for that, I'll see if it is viable.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: May 13, 2010, 07:46:30 am »

Harrison says..... "so that any imbalance will be a gyration and not a wobble" ...you could consider two M3 grade 304 stainless steel hollow pointed grub screws @ 180 degrees to each other in each coupling half but do not phase the coupling halves  %% ......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Harrison

« Reply #233 on: May 13, 2010, 07:59:12 am »

I had thought about that but the set screw meeting the flat face of the shafts will be closer to the center of rotation. I may be worrying about nothing of course.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #234 on: May 13, 2010, 02:25:36 pm »

if you have problems with couplings try kehrer. designed for high revs.
colin
grumpy old XXX

Harrison

« Reply #235 on: May 29, 2010, 11:45:19 am »

As you can probably guess from my lack of postings, I've not had time to do much to the boat before going away. I'm pretty close to finishing the deck now, It's taken a little longer than planned but unfortunately other things have taken priority.

I've been practicing with the welder, I've been trying to weld two very small pieces of stainless steel together which is very difficult indeed. When I come to weld the bulkheads to the longerons I should be an expert!

Harrison

« Reply #236 on: June 01, 2010, 07:50:53 am »

I'm hoping to get all the deck sections completed in the next two days, so I should then be able to move on to the fixing points for the electronics and weapon systems.

Harrison

« Reply #237 on: June 01, 2010, 08:10:52 am »

Just the hatches to do now and the deck is finished.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #238 on: August 24, 2010, 08:49:34 pm »

Missing you, or rather your updates. Any news?
colin
grumpy old XXX

Harrison

« Reply #239 on: August 25, 2010, 12:46:15 am »

Hi Colin,

I'm missing posting..

I've been super busy with things lately, I've been taking the resi-mate pad to shows and designing more hobby products. I'm at the Bmfa nationals at the weekend so quite a lot to do for that up to then and during..

I will be taking may laptop with me though so expect to get much done then and after.

I plan on bringing some of my ideas to modellers by making them easily manufacturable, a couple of which initially being for aircraft.

I would expect an update on the Hamina early next week.

rathikrishna

« Reply #240 on: August 26, 2010, 10:29:46 am »

ohhh god..superb work...its indeed...excellent...

SinWin

« Reply #241 on: August 26, 2010, 07:35:05 pm »

If you ever sell plans, and parts, for building that gun and/or radar - I'll be buying one for sure. My next project will probably feature a gun much like this, and it would be superb to have a fully functional gun!

Looking forward to more news on your spectacular build.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #242 on: October 22, 2010, 07:58:37 am »

Hi Harrison,

How's it going?

Martin  :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

steve pickstock

« Reply #243 on: December 08, 2010, 12:38:14 pm »

Hey Harrison, any new progress?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.