Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 5519 times)

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
    • Miniature Merchant Ships
Re: Windows 7
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 11:20:49 am »

It certainly is faster.    That is the first thing we noticed about it.      My wife looks at a lot of sites with pictures in it and they took ages to appear with the old computer, they coming zipping in at very great speed now.    I accept what Dodgy Geezer says, it is probably new version of Internet Explorer that has made for the increased speed, and we are highly satsified with that aspect of it.
Bob
Regards
Positive

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2009, 12:24:59 pm »

For whatever reasons, Windows 7 is generally reported to be significantly faster then XP/Vista when browsing the Internet as Bob says.

Colin

Yes, of course it is. It uses IE8 instead of IE7. Here is Microsoft itself pointing out that IE8 is twice as fast as IE7 - http://www.betanews.com/article/Performance-test-IE8-easily-doubles-IE7-speed/1237494714

The point I am making is that other browsers can be twice as fast as IE8.   And they are free to download. Read to the bottom of the reference to see what I mean. And note that Microsoft has now been convicted in both the US and Europe of illegally using its OS monopoly to ensure that its browser is pre-loaded on all systems, and other browsers are suppressed...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 12:59:02 pm »

I rather suspect that for most people it is the quality of their ADSL connection which governs perceived speed when browsing. I found IE8 marginally better than IE7 when using Vista and I have tried both Chrome and Firefox but don't notice much of a difference speedwise with them either to be honest.

Colin

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 01:31:48 pm »

It certainly is faster.    That is the first thing we noticed about it.      My wife looks at a lot of sites with pictures in it and they took ages to appear with the old computer, they coming zipping in at very great speed now. 

Hmm. From what you say, I suspect that what you are noticing is mainly the fact that you have a new machine, and a clean operating system build.

Do you run a spy-ware checker on your old system? If you did not, then your browser (particularly if it's Internet Explorer) is likely to become packed with lots of little programs designed to monitor your browsing and feed the results back to advertisers. Did you have any extra toolbars on your old system which suddenly appeared? Did you have lots of pop-up adverts?  All of this extra processing is what slows a spyware infected system.

If you had a spy-ware problem then moving to ANY new system would show a marked improvement. But if you don't try to avoid spyware, a new Windows system will gradually return to being just as slow. That's one of the ways Linux scores over Windows...

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 11:12:35 pm »

My lad got me W7 for my new PC and coming from XP I think it's great.

The long Build

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 01:00:37 am »

Long Build

I've just written a CD on my new Dell with Win 7 using Nero Express v7 :-))

Have you checked for a new driver for your CD writer? Also I believe Win 7 has a built in CD/DVD writer - not tried it as I quite like Nero.

Barrie

Barrie, I was a bit to quick to say that Nero did not work with W7  , like you I have successfully now burned files to disc, The issue was, I think, That I was trying to play an MP4 Video file on Nero and thats what it got upset about..

So Yes it Appears as NERO 7 does work, Sorry.. :embarrassed:

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 07:03:05 am »

I don't have the full version of Nero - just the Expres version that came with a DVD writer I bought for my previous computer, and don't using it for playing media files.  In fact I haven't found anything that doesn't work on Win 7, although I dont go in for games. I have successfully loaded Microsoft Money, Publisher and Access from Office 2000, and several small utilities I have been using since Win98. Also I don't use IE unless absolutely essential, and removed McAfee and Adobe Reader as soon as I switched the PC on %%

The only problem I encountered was on my wife's new Win7 laptop when I tried to get it to print to a printer on my then XP machine. I see on the forums this is an issue, but I think it has now been solved.

Barrie

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 23 queries.