Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The 'Lady Sharon' Project.  (Read 19539 times)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
The 'Lady Sharon' Project.
« on: November 21, 2009, 04:27:46 pm »

I read an old issue of Model Boats where a kit was reviewed of a small 300mm long Tug boat. After a failed attempt at trying to replicate something similar of my own I managed to buy the kit from Warrickshire  :} I wanted to do this model for two reason. The first being to give me something to do as a break from working on my Smit tug. The second, and this one being the most important one was to give my other half something to use when i take her to the boating lake, it stops me getting nagged and i hope in return it will give her some enjoyment!

Pictured below is what i have so far. I have some bollards, tyres, and other bit's eother on their way or still to get phase. I managed to salvage some photo etch parts from a Schnellboot i was building a little while ago, some nice etched step plates would look good in the right place.
The first obstacle is motor choice?  I was thinking something small like a 280 maybe? single coupling, oiler tube and a prop from Prop-Shop.

This isn't going to be a quick build, far too busy at present with work so not much time for either boat for a while but i wanted to pick your brains in the meantime!

Voyager

FullLeatherJacket

Re: The 'Lady Sharon' Project.
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 04:57:42 pm »

I reckon a 280 direct drive would be too fast. I'd go either for a 360 on 7.2v (AA size NiMH cells) or maybe the geared Graupner Multispeed 140 Part #1147.
FLJ

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 06:16:56 pm »

It's a tough one! The Graupner 140 looks ideal but i was told it would be too big as the rear deck sit quite low! It was reviewed in Model Boats and he used a 380, because of the size of the motor and limited space it was mounted right at the front, about as far up the front you could get. Any other suggestions?

Voyager

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 07:34:28 pm »

Glued the two halves together, added stabilizers, cut out removable deck area, added mooring bollards. I reomoved the outer lip on the two halves though I now wish I hadn't as most of the strength came from that  <:( I wanted to fit a soft rubber all round fender and so I had no option but to remove it. I've got alot of fiddling about to do as I've added a strip around the sides to bring back some strength and also serves as a base to glue the rubber fender on.
Going on my hol's now so more to do when I get back in two weeks time  :-)

Voyager

craftysod

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 08:18:34 pm »

Good on you for building your other half a boat,when i first started,she was bored.
Now she has her own boat,loves it,especially when comes to my or someone elses rescue
Mark
Have a nice holiday

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 08:58:01 am »

Couldn't agree more, my wife has a tug and a lifeboat, albeit small ones and she loves them.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 07:45:09 pm »

I thought by having a little boat named after her and calling it her own (A late Christmas present) it'll bring her into the hobby and give her something to look after  :-) And ya never know...it may be her that starts to nag me about when we're next going to the lake instead of the more familiar other way round lol.

Moving on...

Here's an update on the biuld so far. The outer lip that joins the deck was a job to sort out as the strength of the hull was lost once I removed it. However, after much messing about it started coming together, the strength of the hull started to come back as I glued strips of plasti-card on the outside and this would be used to stick the soft rubber fendering on. The next step was to use plastic filler to blend the all round strip into the hull and sand it all down smooth. Right, and now the most scary bit...cutting out a large portion of the front and lower hull to turn it into a pusher tug. I was very careful here as this was a one shot deal and so getting it wrong was not an option! After numerous pondering sessions and refreshments I fitted the new front section in place and it fitted nicely to my relief  :o Further bits have been added, side hull strips of curved plasti-card, rear name lettering from 'Slaters'. tow bollard, cabin and hood.

More to follow after Christmas.

Voyager

cadman17_36

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 01:37:17 am »

Lookin good mate :-)) i think she will love it O0 Have a great holiday

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 01:46:11 am »

I'm sure she will and thanks there ship mate  :-)) You have a nice Christmas & New Year!

Voyager

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2010, 04:39:58 pm »

Project now back on...

Voyager

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 08:58:54 pm »

Was thinking about putting in the motor they recommend for the Odin, or is that still too small  {-) {-) {-)

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 12:03:33 pm »

Worked hard all day yesterday and this is how the project looks so far.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 07:03:29 pm »

The inner deck and superstructure is all taking shape, still lots of alterations and bit's to make. I applied bolts to the tow bollard base, as well as around the cab. I strengthened some area's as the vacume formed plastic was very thin in places. Exhaust stack built and painted but needs to be slightly rusty around the top!

More to do tomorrow if I get time....

Voyager

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 10:35:38 am »

Mast built and fitted along with radar dome. Test fitting exhaust and deck bit's.

Drkomen86

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 01:29:28 pm »

how did you get the rust effect??
It looks amazing  :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 01:38:46 pm »

Looking good Voyager!!

... I didn't realize there was a working dockyard here in Peterborough!?!?!  %)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 02:07:54 pm »

how did you get the rust effect??
It looks amazing  :-))

Hi, it was done using Winton Oil paints and Tamiya Red Brown for the dark spots.

And thanks, glad you like the effect!

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 02:16:14 pm »

Looking good Voyager!!

... I didn't realize there was a working dockyard here in Peterborough!?!?!  %)

Erm...??? Yeah, you've got me there on that one Martin lol. I may have gotten away with it if it weren't for your keen eye  ;D It was a choice of either Peterborough or Stilton (my village) but settled on Peterbough.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 02:54:16 pm »

According to the MCA Wisbech is the nearest Port of Registry
to Stilton or Peterborough :-)) :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2010, 03:17:57 pm »

But that's ruddy miles away from where I live, but well done for clearing this one up  :D

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 04:57:55 pm »

Voyager, I have always thought that you surface rust effects are superb and look incredibly realistic and, although I know they are created with oils, could you please do us a step by step guide to how you create the effect?  I am certain that there would be a lot of members here very interested in experimenting with such procedures.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 05:05:08 pm »

do you apply any kind of varnish sealer over the top of your weathering voyager ?

and i agree with bunk, a voyager weathering masterclass is in order !!!
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2010, 01:19:06 am »

Voyager, I have always thought that you surface rust effects are superb and look incredibly realistic and, although I know they are created with oils, could you please do us a step by step guide to how you create the effect?  I am certain that there would be a lot of members here very interested in experimenting with such procedures.

I'd be happy to do that for those who would like to know  :-)) I'll work on taking some pictures as a step by step guide from start to finish on how I acheive my rust effect.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2010, 01:23:16 am »

do you apply any kind of varnish sealer over the top of your weathering voyager ?

and i agree with bunk, a voyager weathering masterclass is in order !!!

I do indeed use a varnish as a sealer, nearly always it's satin, but sometimes when I require a more neglected look I use a matt varnish.

Look out for a weathering masterclass very soon!

Anyway...

As she stands tonight she looks like this.

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2010, 01:42:51 am »

She's really getting some character now, and I'm pleased with the degree of weathering  :} :} :}

Anyway...before I continue, I'd like to thank those who have given me praise, I'm much obliged to you all and it keeps me going when things don't always go right sometimes :-))

Right then...

Wheelhouse roof has been given some very watered down spray 90/10% to add some shadows, plus a few fresh paint chips done with some metalized Humbrol. Windows now glazed, exhaust re-painted (wasn't happy with my choice of colour!), applied a washed down rust to the outside hull. I settled on Tamiya green for the decking colour (thought about brown but, with all the rusty brown it would look too much). Ships horn fitted, along with mast lights (non working dummies), added a metal container to make the deck look busy. Fitted one crewman to the rear (another will go in the wheelhouse but he's too short and requires modifying). Nav lights have been painted in transparent Tamiya colours and are drying as we speak, will work on those again tomorrow. Scale rope fitted to mooring bollard. I decided I wanted a wooden walled interior so I've started laying strips of wood down which I will stain. Tomorrow I will make up some black back boards for the nav lights and fit those.

Last pic is of the "Lady Sharon's" soon ta be new owner larking about at Black Park.

Any questions, then just ask away!

Voyager
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.