Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any body had the plesure of a RCMK S254 EVO 26CC  (Read 8386 times)

The Doc

Any body had the plesure of a RCMK S254 EVO 26CC
« on: November 21, 2009, 08:11:24 pm »

Any body had the plesure of a RCMK S254 EVO 26CC just bought one couldn't resist it got a very good speck http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270485323424&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Alan

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
Re: Any body had the plesure of a RCMK S254 EVO 26CC
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 08:27:06 pm »

Any body had the plesure of a RCMK S254 EVO 26CC just bought one couldn't resist it got a very good speck http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270485323424&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Alan
Hi Alan
I got an RCMK solid billet engine back in April this year.
I have to say a nice engine but the HT & Source coils are VERY bad. I have had RCMK send me out 3 sets of coils so far. I think I have now overcome the problem. The source coil is mounted to close to the flywheel and this causes the coil to overheat and burn out. I took 1.5mm of my flywheel when I changed the engine over into my new boat. I ran it last weekend and It never missed a beat. It would normally run for 15/20 Min's then cut out dead. It would always restart after the boat was recovered. It took me a bit to work out why it was doing it.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

omra85

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 08:30:26 pm »

Lovely engine, quite a few OMRA guys are working with them, bags of power and very tune-able.
Now all you need is a good racing hull to put it in.  
The best two at the moment are
Pacer - by Tony Gilder
Phantom 145 - by Mark Copley
Links to both (plus a lot of other information) is avalable on the OMRA site http://www.omra-uk.org

What are you hoping to do with it?
Cheers
Danny

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 08:32:53 pm »

What are you hoping to do with it?
Cheers
Danny

Probably the same as you Danny, win a race sometime. :}
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

The Doc

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 08:02:00 am »

Well it arrived going to install it today will try and get it on the lake tomorrow any one know what fuel mix to use with this engine no mention of it in the book of few words it came with >>:-(

Alan

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 09:25:38 am »

I would go for 16:1 same as the Zenoah, good non-synthetic oil to start with and then over to a synthetic.
This is worth a read on MGB http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazine_Content/Engines_and_Accessories/RCMK_S-254_EVO/.

The Doc

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 10:38:24 pm »

Well disaster today fitted the engine yesterday (Saturday) all went well no dramas did a test run in my pool about 6.00 pm got up nice and early just to dot the i`s and cross the t`s all looked well did another test run in my pool at about 8.00 am (i have no neighbours) it sure is a screamer loaded up in the 4x4 and of to the Lake got set up had a cupa from my flask then tried to start the engine it started but wouldn't run just revved the once and shut down this happened 2 or 3 times then b u gg e r all checked for spark all seamed ok then check fuel also ok took the skin of my fingers pulling the starter any way 3 hours later still not started then the bloody recoil broke its now in my shed in disgrace will have a look in the next couple of days stay tuned the next update.

Alan

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 01:27:21 pm »

Hi Alan
1st things 1st. Do you have a good spark? Check the fly wheel to see if you have got ANY rubbing marks on it.
If It is over revving it sound like a carb setting prob to me. You use a base setting of 1 1/2 turns out on the high needle and 1/18th on the low to start with. I allways take out the Idle screw so the servo can push the carb fully shut in the event i have to do an emergency shut down That way I can kill the engine from my radio set if needed.
I hope this helps??
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 03:58:13 pm »

This might help http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9087848/anchors_9097056/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#9097056 post nr.12
Hopefully not this end result http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9271607/tm.htm but it mentions in post nr.1 that the flywheel has the ability to work loose..

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 11:06:25 pm »

Ouch what mounts? thin zenoah mounts are no good they dont give enough clearance for the flywheel it hits the starter and things can jam up and bingo bango  {:-{,also as Ian says they can come loose also.You can space off the starter with a washer on each bolt between the starter and the mounts.Hope its not too late whatever the problem was,if it is plead ignorant and ask for a new one theyre usually good on replacing or repairing stuff so i hear.
Mart

http://www.jrcbd.com/showthread.php?t=25678&highlight=rcmk+starter

The Doc

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 08:51:20 pm »

Hi all thanks for your replies
I got round to looking at the motor the pull start problem was only the securing screw for the plastic pulley coming loose just a few turns with a screw driver sorted that. Still not sure what was stopping it starting its got a superb spark and feels good turning over. I fitted a new big bore (Zen 515) carb from  prestwich http://www.prestwich.ndirect.co.uk/images/bigcarb1.jpg  ran fine on the zenoah clone i had it on before any way i have now fitted the carb that came with the evo (walbro wt929) i have had to have the engine mounts machined to take the trick  throttle linkage as the other carb had a cable for the throttle i will have them back tomorrow night will spend another Saturday afternoon refitting  fingers crossed i will be at the lake again on Sunday.

Mart do i need to join a club to use the lake you was telling me about?

I will update this thread on Sunday

Thanks again
Alan

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 09:54:52 pm »

No you dont need to join a club its free for anyone to use mate.
Mart

The Doc

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 06:51:58 pm »

Well got to the lake on Sunday and WOW what a flying machine put the GPS on it and it was running at 60Mph =100Kph @17.000 revs the lake is now to small LOL :-)) only had a small problem after it had been running for about 30 minns when opening throttle to full it stalled even if opened slowly like fuel starvation got it back on the bank and started fine revved fine but on the lake was fine up to 3/4 throttle then stalled when flat out will have to check the fuel lines filter is clear. Unless anyone knows better  :-))

Alan

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2009, 09:41:47 am »

Whats the plug colour like ? you dont want grey thats too lean and the motor wont last long,try and go for a cofee colour  ;).If alls well with the carb settings it could be fuel starvation,bad diphram ? even a slight wrinkle will cause all kinds of problems.
 Asuming your diaphram is ok and your still getting fuel starvation at full speed only it could be your tank setup, if your fuel lines go forwards in the tank as the boat builds up speed the fuel is pushed to the back of the tank and your fuel feed line could be in an air pocket,try facing the tank the oposite direction or do as i now do and change to an IB bag setup.Also check your tank vent if this problem only occurs after arround 10 mins running as ive also had that problem due to a buildup of pressure in the tank causing the motor to stall.Lots of things to check but if you hit 60 mph then my thinking is it might be the tank setup.
Mart
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.