Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice from you "old hands" please.  (Read 2719 times)

Firebod-7

Advice from you "old hands" please.
« on: November 22, 2009, 12:18:46 pm »

Hello, I am new to this forum and so you have some idea of my situation I will tell you a little about myself. I am a retired London Fireman, I am 62 years old. I have my own woodworking workshop and have built a couple of wooden boats before. My partner would love a radio controlled tug. She is from South Shields so I thought a Tug that had worked the Tyne would be great. The kit I am looking at is the "Joffre" by Caldercraft. I have no experience working with the new sorts of plastics that seem to be used. The fiberglass hull I have no worries about. I have seen different views about this kit and would be glad of any opinions from you builders out there. I have looked at all of the kits on the UK market and was keen on the chaps who make the Tyne tug kits. But I want to keep the length of the hull to around 750cm. I build and fly model helicopters so the electrics and radio system are not a problem. Any help will be gratefully received, thanks Richard.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Advice from you "old hands" please.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 12:35:19 pm »

Firebod-7
The "Joffre" by Caldercraft is quite a good first tug kit.
She sails well and looks good on the water.
If I remember correctly most of the superstructure is wooden too.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 12:41:28 pm »

hi there Firebod-7

Welcome to the Forum!  Ah, so your better half is a 'Sand-dancer' gone astray eh?  - well I s'pose we have to lose one or two of our "All together like the Folk of Shields" clan - ah but its not that bad - because at least her better half is a Model Boater  :-)) :-)) :-))

Concerning your query on the tug "Joffre" I have seen this kit made several times with excellent results made of it  :-))

How difficult she is to build I couldnt honestly say, as I am a mess-maker from plans  %% %% ;D  However, I do know that there are a set of plans for this from MyHobbiesStore cos I saw them when I was building the Cervia Tug.    If you have a look at the Cervia Tug build on the forum here - the plans for the tug "Joffre" are very similar so the build will be the same.   If you fancy the scratch build, where you have a choice of materials, rather than them being supplied to you in a kit - it's a thought.
http://www.myhobbystore.com/2145/Colyer-Joffre-MM1240.html
aye
John E
from South Shields  {-)
tell Mrs Firebod-7 her passport will be checked  {-) {-) {-) {-) on her next visit to Shields - WHY AYE MAN
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Firebod-7

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 01:00:41 pm »

Thanks for your reply bob it's looking good! and to John in South Shields well that gave us both a laugh. We were in South Shields a couple of weeks ago to stay with Jane's relatives and also to look at moving back. It's just your sense of humour and friendliness that impressed me so much with the place, so maybe in the not too distant future we will meet up at the boating lake. best regards Richard.

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 01:40:10 pm »

Welcome to the forum, Firebod! I built 'Joffre' about 25 years ago, and she is still going strong, with only radio bits and battery replaced in that time (a couple of refits though!) I'm not the world's best modeller by any means, and 'Joffre' was only my second scale boat, after PBM's 'Alfred', a bread-and-butter principle hull. She's a lovely looking boat on the water, but like all single screw craft, not the easiest to steer astern. Good luck with your build! I also have Tyne Models 'Alfred', much bigger and heavier as you know, but again, a good looking tug on and off the water.

Danny

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 01:46:54 pm »

Welcome Firebod-7, Dont bank on seeing John at the lake.
He makes the most wonderful models but its a struggle to get him to let them get wet.
If you read his builds on here you will find very few photos of his models on the water.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Firebod-7

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 02:11:59 pm »

Thanks for all your welcomes, :-))   Danny re: Tyne Models, what do they mean by a "semi kit". I must admit I was very tempted with the "Northsider" it looks as though the kits are high quality. I think by whats already been said by tourself and others that I will go for the "Joffre" for my first go, as it is a little smaller than the Tyne Models tugs. Being single screw and conventional rudder I thought electrics and build maybe a little easier. Although I do see that reverse steering will be a lot harder to get used to. Thanks again Richard  :-) ok2

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 05:22:43 pm »

Hello again, Firebod/Richard!

I think we'd better stick with Firebod, 'cos Dicky D is also Richard, and a very regular contributor, thnigs might get confusing! (not difficult to achieve at my age!!!)

Tyne Models semi-kits are kits where most of the large items are provided, but some parts are up to you to provide/purchase/manufacture. In my opinion their hulls are amongst the best available anywhere, with very accurate plans. If you give Les a bell or email (usually least effective method!) I'm sure he will provide you with details of exactly what is included in 'Northsider's' semi-kit, and an idea of what you need to find for yourself. They do make up into smashing models, my 'Alfred' with a large Robbe Power 1000 motor on direct drive is very powerful, but also very controllable at slower speeds. With a large Kort nozzle, she is also steerable astern! The only downside is the size and weight of the beast. Hope you have fun building 'Joffre'.

Danny

wideawake

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 06:31:17 pm »

Hi Firebod

If you do decide on the Joffre, you may like to know that MB mag retail outlet myhobbystore is offering it with a book on tugs at a special price.

http://www.myhobbystore.com/7274/Caldercraft-Classic-Joffre-Tug-Boat-with-FREE-BOOK--.html

HTH

Guy

Firebod-7

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 07:58:18 pm »

Thanks for the info on Tyne models kits Danny, I understand the semi kit now and if Joffre goes well I would love to give the Northsider a go. O0  :-))

Guy, thanks for the link to Myhobbystore, I have had a look and they are doing the kit at a good price as well as the book being free. It does say that the offer is till the end of October so I will give them a ring in the morning and see how I get on, thanks again for the information. Being able to talk to people in the know so quickly has given me the confidence to dive in and have a go knowing if I get stuck there will be good people to help out,  Regards Firebod!! :-))

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 08:00:05 pm »

Here is another tug along the lines of the Joffre, the George V ended up on the mud flats on Thames.
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

wideawake

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 08:41:53 pm »

Thanks for the info on Tyne models kits Danny, I understand the semi kit now and if Joffre goes well I would love to give the Northsider a go. O0  :-))

Guy, thanks for the link to Myhobbystore, I have had a look and they are doing the kit at a good price as well as the book being free. It does say that the offer is till the end of October so I will give them a ring in the morning and see how I get on, thanks again for the information. Being able to talk to people in the know so quickly has given me the confidence to dive in and have a go knowing if I get stuck there will be good people to help out,  Regards Firebod!! :-))

Sorry mate I didn't notice the closing date!   Hopefully they'll still be able to do you one.

Cheers

Guy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.