Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: brushless motor and battery power  (Read 1931 times)

ntg06

brushless motor and battery power
« on: November 19, 2009, 10:33:17 am »

I am looking at purchasing a brushless FE boat. The recommended battery is 3S 2300mAh, which should give about 10 minutes run time. I would like to increase the run time, so wanted to fit a 4500mAh battery. I am told if I do this it may damage the motor. Can someone tell me, is this purely down to the fact that the motor will be running longer, and therefore will get hot, or is there another reason, that I am missing?
The motor will be watercooled. I do also understand that there will be a performance degrade due to the extra weight, that doesn't bother me too much.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: brushless motor and battery power
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 10:43:19 am »

increasing the amp hour will not damage a motor its like fitting a bigger petrol tank to a car it wont go faster but will go further,Just water cool the motor

Peter

ntg06

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 10:55:07 am »

Thanks Peter, that is what I thought, but never used brushless before, so thought there might be another reason.

nick_75au

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:52:59 am »

You may, depending on the boat a little see a performance increase despite the weight penalty, the larger battery has a lower internal resistance therefore can output higher current if the motor demands it. This may explain  the reason behind the size limit on battery. Though Lipos can deliver more current than their C rating even if it does damage them.

Nick
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.