Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sail winch sheeting query.  (Read 1839 times)

Bugsy

Sail winch sheeting query.
« on: November 23, 2009, 08:19:40 am »

On my One Metre scratch-build I am using a sail winch in a loop-system. (from the lower drum running back to a through-deck return then forward to another through-deck return back to the upper drum)
Can someone point me in the right direction regarding calculating the following.
I'm stuck with the ideal length of the deck run.
Any help appreciated.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
Re: Sail winch sheeting query.
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 05:39:27 pm »

Hi Bugsy, a simple way is to rig your mast/sails, position the main boom full out against the shroud and measure the distance from the deck  mainsheet post to the sheeting attachment point on the boom. This is the minimum run you will need on deck. The design of the boat will dictate whether to position the sheeting connection forward or aft of the mast

Mike

Bugsy

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 08:48:19 am »

Thanks Mike.
I dummied it up last night (the deck is not yet fitted) and came up with a figure around 280mm.

Gary.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 10:56:41 am »

Hi Gary, that sounds about right - I am away at the moment so cannot check on my boat. You can knock about an inch off that ( field measurement guide is the forefinger knuckle to first joint  :} ) as that is roughly how far the boom is out from vertically over the sheeting post when close hauled.

Mike  :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 11:28:14 am »

I added a bit to my deck run to leave room for a tension link (or elastic band as some call it) to allow for shrinkage, stretchage, and the fact that the line never settled in a predictable manner on the drum.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.