Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dumb question  (Read 2726 times)

ajb68

Dumb question
« on: November 23, 2009, 12:19:44 pm »

Ive been reading about different ways of building a f/g hull right from planking first to using plaster and this thought occured to me ,,, is there any reason why you couldnt fit the frames to the keel secure the whole thing upside down as normal then use duck tape to cover the frames !!! this would be self adhesive and follow the frame and hull lines spot on , or is this just too simple to work , i call on the collective wisdom of this forum to decide

Regards Andy  :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dumb question
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 12:52:26 pm »

Surely you would get a lot of straight lines between the frames and thereby an uneven hull. When you use planks the wood will assume a natural fair curve between frames which is the actual shape of the hull. The same thing applies if you cover with something like chicken wire and plaster and then smooth down.

Colin

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 12:52:45 pm »

Duct tape would be likely to sag, unless tensioned so much that the frame would be likely to be pulled out of true. To counteract that you might build a stronger frame, and then you're back to having stringers and wooden covering as usual...

Having said that, it used to be a common practice to use gummed paper strip to cover frames (with stringers) of a round bilge hull, and then shellac the result. Worked for small hulls, but the lack of support tended to result in later flexing...

ajb68

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 12:56:52 pm »

I can see your points and totally agree it was just a thought but too simple to work  :} :-))

Regards Andy

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 01:00:08 pm »

You can fill between the frames with blocks of expanded polystyrene and sand to shape, just make sure the surface is sealed against polyester resin or it will disolve.  OK if you're using Epoxy resins and yes, follow ALL the safety regs.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.