Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GT power A-6 charger  (Read 2309 times)

ntg06

GT power A-6 charger
« on: November 24, 2009, 10:22:47 am »

HELP!!
I have just purchased the above charger and some Lipo's (3S 2250mA/h).
I have set the charger in balance charge mode, set the current at 1A, and voltage at 11.1v.
The battery seems to be charging ok.
My question is, how do I know when the charge is complete? Will the charger automatically switch off, or do I have to turn it off after a certain time (I assume about 2 hours?)

monarch

Re: GT power A-6 charger
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 01:31:21 pm »

Hi
Try this link  https://fusion-pack.com/productdetail.aspx?id=175&cat=91 and find which one you have and click it, then at the bottom of the page should be PDF manual.
Hope you find what youre looking for.
Lionel

ntg06

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 03:10:46 pm »

Thanks Lionel,
Yes, I looked at the manual, but doesn't seem to explain anything along these lines.
I have never had a charger like this or Lipo's so struggling.

ukengineman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 04:48:11 pm »

Watch the display while it is charging. Initially you should see the current at what you set (1A) and the voltage below 11.1V but above 9V. When the voltage has reached 11.1V you should see the current slowly fall, when the current drops to a certain level charging should stop automatically. The cutoff current is typically 1/10 of the initial charging current. In use, it is important to use an ESC that understands LiPo's and has a low voltage cutoff at 9V or just above for a 3 cell pack. Discharging below 9V may permanently destroy the pack. Always remain present during charging, there is a risk of fire if you set the charger incorrectly (eg current much too high or selecting a 4S pack when it is really a 3S pack)

ntg06

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 09:34:42 am »

Thanks for that.
I let it charge as you suggested, and after about 65 minutes the charger started beeping and came up with battery full (or words to that effect).
The next part of my confiusion is that the display said charged capacity 980, whereas the battery is rated at 2250.
Is the 980 because the battery had some charge in it (brand new battery), so it only took this amount to fully charge, or is it a faulty battery. How do I know that the battery has the full 2250 (or thereabouts) charge?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 10:55:36 am »

1 hour at one amp is near enough 980mAH.  If the charger has conditions (ie expected end voltage and reduction in charging current) then it will stop charging to avoid over-filling, and report how much charge it thinks it has inserted.
The only truly effective way to check the amount of usable charge in a battery is to use it by discharging into a known load and noting the time taken to reach the "discharged" voltage level.  A bit like checking if a match is a good one.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.