Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Members Profile...  (Read 9747 times)

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
Members Profile...
« on: November 24, 2009, 02:29:08 pm »

...Hi Guys...

Just sit tight while I get up onto this here Soap Box......Right Here Goes...

Is there not something that can be done about members joining & using the forum using only a few letters or a nickname to identify themselves...Then not showing their Location either...

My mummy told me not to speak to strangers...I think I will have to take heed of what she said...

There should be a minimum amount of  honest information that is required to join in...

Right...Thats my Tea ready...I,d better get down off here and sit at the table...

...Best Regards...Norry In Linwood, Paisley, Bonnie Scotland...

...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

daz

Re: Members Profile...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 02:36:59 pm »

Here Here Norry
                      I totaly agree.

Daz

Bradley

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 02:55:46 pm »

I also agree  :-))  I have nothing to hide and I like to see where other members hail from.  ;)
Derek.    :police:

chingdevil

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 03:03:06 pm »

As far as I am aware there is no set criteria for what you put on your profile to join Mayhem, I believe the minimum required is name, valid e-mail address and password. This has come up before Martin and the moderators have discussed this, I think it was felt that we could not force members to put information on to their profile and it was purely down to the individual what appeared.

Brian
Chingford, London

Roger in France

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 03:33:28 pm »

One of the tasks I perform on behalf of Martin and we Moderators is to send every New Member a special "Welcome Message" into their Personal Mail box within 24hrs. of joining.

Included in that message is a reminder about the desirability of adding a location to ones Profile and how to do it. The message is not generated automatically, I attempt to personalise them, as appropriate, so that Mayhem can be seen to be the friendly, welcoming place which it is.

We keep trying!

Roger in France

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 03:35:46 pm »

I think when people ask " where can I get " and they have not filled there Profile in we should go back and say   sorry incomplete profile cannot help     if enough members do it the message mat get through, and I always sign my name, but as I have a detailed location not my surname..

Peter

chingdevil

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 03:46:56 pm »

Peter
I think that would make the forum appear unfriendly, which is not what Martin wants. I can appreciate what you are saying, but some people for what ever reason do not like filling in the details. Some people are also very wary of how much personally detail they put into on line forms quite rightly so, for that reason I personally feel we could never force people to do it.

Brian

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 03:55:44 pm »

If you have a look at the tug forum http://modeltugforum.com/index.php you will notice that not only does everyones profile have where they come from but also their age.

I havent heard of any objections yet.

I am a person with plenty of time on my hands and I do spend a lot of time on the net trying to find things for Mayhem members, but it does bug me to maybe spend an hour trying to find where an item can be obtained, to then be told they live in the States or Oz.  <*< >>:-(

You will notice I have my name and where I live on my profile.

It should be mandatory.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Roger in France

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 04:14:57 pm »

Richard,

That is a valid point of view but it currently runs contrary to the Mayhem ethos of as little compulsion as possible.

Martin and the Moderators are currently thinking about it again.

I have to say that I have no objection to what you propose, personally, but I see the other point of view very clearly and it appears to be a majority view (that does not mean the majority is always right, of course!).

I have been giving thought to the controversy (in the British media today) about storing the DNA of unconvicted people who have been arrested but never charged or convicted. I guess many would say, "I have nothing to fear. Everyone should have their DNA stored". In relation to carrying Identity cards, the sentiment could be the same. However there are well informed and powerful arguments that run to the contrary.

Now, I am not putting Mayhem Profiles at the same degree of importance as the other issues I mention, I am simply saying, "To compel or not is seldom as simple as at first it appears".

Roger in France

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 04:23:06 pm »

Come on Rog we're not asking for DNA or blood. {-)

Nothing to be ashamed of, unless you are a Pompey supporter.  ok2

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 04:45:55 pm »

...Hi Guys...

Just sit tight while I get up onto this here Soap Box......Right Here Goes...

Is there not something that can be done about members joining & using the forum using only a few letters or a nickname to identify themselves...Then not showing their Location either...

...My mummy told me not to speak to strangers...

There should be a minimum amount of  honest information that is required to join in...

Myself, I have a lot to fear, and everything to hide. And when I provide information, it's rarely 'honest'.  But then, you might expect that from a dodgy geezer...

I will not be in the least offended if Norry doesn't want to talk to me, but I will comment that Mayhem was not the first forum I considered joining. However, the first forum I went to wanted my name, address and telephone number, which is why I am here...

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 04:47:52 pm »

My 2p , I think Richard is right (it's an oppinion) i for one would like to know who i am in comminication with on the net , and where in the world they are . It is simply a matter of curtiousness , and if there is a sale, swap or exchange of good's then the last thing you want is to realise that the distance between yourselfs is more than a county maybe a continent .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 04:50:09 pm »

Myself, I have a lot to fear, and everything to hide. And when I provide information, it's rarely 'honest'.  But then, you might expect that from a dodgy geezer...

I will not be in the least offended if Norry doesn't want to talk to me, but I will comment that Mayhem was not the first forum I considered joining. However, the first forum I went to wanted my name, address and telephone number, which is why I am here...
Cant see a problem with you myself , your location is London , thats good enough for me unless i am calling round for a cuppa  :-)) .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 05:01:01 pm »

I think (types Andy, from the fifth floor of G1 1RD) that it's an unnecessary intrusion.

If I were asking for help with sourcing components, then it's easy enough to say where I am in the respective post. I don't see why members needs to say where they are if they don't wish to.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 05:05:46 pm »

Part of the 'Welcome message' we send out states:

Members are encouraged to give a brief indication of their location as this often allows Members nearby to help each other and can also assist when recommending clubs or suppliers. Your profile can be readily amended, by adding a location which does not reveal your precise address but serves the purpose outlined above. If you are unsure how to make such an alteration well illustrated instructions are provided in the "Forum News, Updates...." topic or ask any of the Moderators to help you.

I suppose we could include the link Roger, to make it abundantly clear!  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11159.msg146092#msg146092
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 05:06:24 pm »

Part of the 'Welcome message' we send out states:

Members are encouraged to give a brief indication of their location as this often allows Members nearby to help each other and can also assist when recommending clubs or suppliers. Your profile can be readily amended, by adding a location which does not reveal your precise address but serves the purpose outlined above. If you are unsure how to make such an alteration well illustrated instructions are provided in the "Forum News, Updates...." topic or ask any of the Moderators to help you.

I suppose we could include the link Roger, to make it abundantly clear!
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11159.msg146092#msg146092

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 05:08:56 pm »

I think (types Andy, from the fifth floor of G1 1RD) that it's an unnecessary intrusion.

If I were asking for help with sourcing components, then it's easy enough to say where I am in the respective post. I don't see why members needs to say where they are if they don't wish to.

Andy
Why tell us you are in Airdrie, Scotland then.

Good god this is Mayhem not the CIA. Do I really want to be in contact with someone who doesnt want me to know their identity, after all I tell my daughter not to do that when shes on the computer.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 05:17:00 pm »

Begs the question, do we only need members who join because they want total anonymity ?

It is a family site after all.

Bradley

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 05:19:34 pm »

I think it's just a small matter of extending friendship.  Unless I ask you to show your bank account details in case I want to borrow a few quid then you have reason to be suspicious.   ;D ;D ;D
Derek.    :police:

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 05:56:56 pm »

All this is really rather odd. If I respond to a Mayhem request, but have had no dealings with that person before; I always ask them to send me a PM, either personally or via this website. It should be easy enough to then sort out the wheat from the chaff...but having said that, I find that impoliteness tends to concentrate amongst the "hidden" members. Now and again I feel that I could cheerfully throttle people who I have helped out (after spending a fair amount of time and effort), only to see (or not) said persons just sort of vanish. But then again, those members who "do the right thing" tend not to be those who need much help (except me, now and again). In summary, I'd propose that at least Country and Town should be mandatory....wouldn't solve much, but it would give a sort of inkling. I'm also sure that the Moderators must be aware of the e-mail addresses of members. So a gripe to them about poor behaviour could bring results. The end of my "bit"! BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 06:02:31 pm »

Begs the question, do we only need members who join because they want total anonymity ?
It is a family site after all.

If I wanted total anonymity, I would not have joined any forum on the net.

I value my privacy, and I also value a friendly atmosphere where suspicion and a desire to control is not the default attitude of administrators. Any meaningful control will be costly in time and resource, cumbersome in use, and will change our relationship with the administrators from kindly providers to enforcing bureaucrats. It might also be taken to mean that the administrators assume legal responsibility for 'filtering' the members. And, most importantly, even meaningful controls can be fairly easily circumvented by those who are intent on doing so. The only people who would be adversely affected by enforced controls (as with the security controls we see elsewhere today) would be the average user.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 06:15:53 pm »

I prefer to post under my real identity but I recognise that many people on forums like to have an "alter ego" - just a matter of taste I suppose. I don't like putting too much personal information on the net as it renders you vulnerable which is why I'd never join a site like Facebook. However, as Bryan says, Country and general locality is reasonable as it is a help to other members. It's not much use recommending a supplier of paints in the UK to somebody who lives in New Zealand.

Colin

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 06:47:26 pm »

However, as Bryan says, Country and general locality is reasonable as it is a help to other members. It's not much use recommending a supplier of paints in the UK to somebody who lives in New Zealand.

Actually, so much trade is done over the net nowadays - I don't really think general locality is important for that. And most of us who are fortunate enough to live away from Western Europe will preface their remarks - " Can anyone recommend a supplier of 7-bladed props in the Gilbert and Ellice islands..."

Country is of use, particularly if you're discussing something like regulations. But there is a big jump between 'it would be useful' and 'it is mandatory and will be enforced'. This is a jump which is being taken by the current administration in the UK, with results which are becoming apparent....

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 07:58:08 pm »

Its interesting how some of the replies are grouped by age, (or perceived age from information gathered from reading posts) probably the average age is about 60 on this site I would have thought as we seem to have a lot of retired members, and I wonder if this has a bearing on wanting to know who we are talking to.

Peter

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 08:16:25 pm »

Sometimes it is nice to know where someone comes from, or their age, and I'm quite happy giving that information. However, some people are happier not giving that information out - I'd rather have them on the forum contributing, than have them exclude themselves.

Mind you Tobyker's not my real name - Norry thinks it's a road sign in Newcastle!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.