Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Members Profile...  (Read 9746 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Members Profile...
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 08:37:28 pm »

hi all, to be honest I hadnt given it much thought about where a person comes from when you reply to them on a posting here - I know I have Bluebird as my user name but I do always sign with my real name of John - I also put the e - cos there are a lot of John's on this here Forum  :-)

I think one of the problems we have we brought upon ourselves.  There are a great number of us who are regular users of this Forum and we are known to one another and we do know roughly where they live, due to the amount of times we have been on the Forum - etc - and also Mayhem Bash etc., and shows....

I do know though that I was once speaking to a friend down at the lake and I mentioned the Mayhem Forum to him and his comment was that he thought we are all 'clanish' when I asked how he had come to this conclusion he said that he had seen one or two postings where the person was a newby and never been answered.    I find this strange but I wonder if anyone else has come across this.    I have never thought of us lot as being clanish - daft aye - fall out with one another yes - throw the toys oota the pram aye - but not clanish....I always think we welcome everyone who comes on the Forum - new or old.

john e

BLUEBIRD

:P
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

wideawake

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 08:45:14 pm »

Sometimes it is nice to know where someone comes from, or their age, and I'm quite happy giving that information. However, some people are happier not giving that information out - I'd rather have them on the forum contributing, than have them exclude themselves.

Mind you Tobyker's not my real name - Norry thinks it's a road sign in Newcastle!

Funny that!   I always hear your name in my head that way!   It may have something to do with the fact that there's someone on another forum who posts as Tomangler and I've always heard his name in my head as Toe mangler.   I know, I'm just strange  :-)

On a more serious note, I don't think it matters if people use a nickname but I do think it's useful if a general indication of location is shown on the profile.   I compromise as  in many things!    I signed up with a nickname  because I wasn''t sure about this whole forum idea (I'm not anti-social but my other interests are covered by email lists, which, to be honest, I prefer, or newsgroups.  Once I'd been around for a few days I started signing with my real Christian name.

Maybe a strongerr hint about location in the welcome note is the answer.

Cheers

Guy

barryfoote

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 08:47:43 pm »

I agree with Bluebird. no way is this a "clanish" forum.... :-)) :-))

We on modeltugforum.com do ask people to put their locations and age on their profiles, purely from an interest point of view. It is not compulsory, but I am not aware of anyone getting upset by it. The choice is the members. Most do, but it really is up to them.. :-) :-)

Barry (Model Tug Forum Moderator)

omra85

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 08:57:22 pm »

his comment was that he thought we are all 'clanish'

He probably saw Barry's address and said he thought we were all "SPANISH"
but with your hearing .......

Danny - 62 - retiring next month - looking forward to all those "Dulux" days  <:( - from Rugby, 30ish miles Easy of Birmingham  %) %) :P

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2009, 09:00:35 pm »

EA Danny what you say my old man  {-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 09:01:52 pm »

What exactly is a Dulux day ?  {:-{

Is it an OMRA over 60s race day ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 09:04:19 pm »

good lord i thought Danny said Durex day  {-) {-) {-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 09:06:14 pm »

Are you allowed to say that on here, John from Geordie Land ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

The long Build

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009, 09:11:38 pm »

I agree with Bluebird. no way is this a "clanish" forum.... :-)) :-))

We on modeltugforum.com do ask people to put their locations and age on their profiles, purely from an interest point of view. It is not compulsory, but I am not aware of anyone getting upset by it. The choice is the members. Most do, but it really is up to them.. :-) :-)

Barry (Model Tug Forum Moderator)

How come yours says you are 25  :}

omra85

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2009, 09:32:36 pm »

good lord i thought Danny said Durex day  {-) {-) {-)

Even if I had one, I'd only use it to waterproof my receiver (not my aerial)  :embarrassed:  {-)

Danny

barryfoote

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2009, 09:48:33 pm »

How come yours says you are 25  :}

...Cos I am!!!!!!! x2 and a bit.... %% %% %% %% %%

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2009, 09:51:11 pm »

I do know though that I was once speaking to a friend down at the lake and I mentioned the Mayhem Forum to him and his comment was that he thought we are all 'clanish' when I asked how he had come to this conclusion he said that he had seen one or two postings where the person was a newby and never been answered.  

My perception is that new members are usually welcomed to the forum when they make their first posting, particularly if the point is made that is IS their first posting. This is apart from the welcome message that is sent to all new members when their membership is approved. The welcome postings are usually by a moderator who happens to read the post, and many times by other members.

Bluebird, I notice that the person making the comments said he had seen "one or two" postings that had not been answered. When it is considered how many new members are joining the forum, I would have thought that "one or two" was not excessive. However, I do agree that failing to acknowledge a new member's initial posting is unacceptable, and perhaps all of us should be aware of this, and in the future make an effort to welcome new posters on the forum.

Peter.

bwmarks

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2009, 09:56:17 pm »

I tried to add the location, hope it works!

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2009, 10:16:53 pm »

...Good Evening Guys...

Christ...What have i started here...

It certainly seems from the amount of replies posted Today that i was not alone in my thinking...

I just think it is much better to know where others are located ...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Bradley

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2009, 10:24:51 pm »

I think this is getting interesting - nice to see where all the Mayhemmers come from and try to envisage the places - wonder what Mineral, VA, is like.  Just a few miles west of where I am, near King's Lynn in West Norfolk.
Derek.

omra85

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2009, 10:41:38 pm »

Well Derek, Mineral looks a lovely little town, very flat (so you'd feel at home).
Heres a pic of their Community Centre (amazing what you can see on Google Earth  O0
Danny

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2009, 10:47:11 pm »

If it wasn't for this site I would never know where I was, I think the little grey cells have been zapped by inhaling too much steam oil   O0

SteamboatPhil
AKA
Phil
AKA
Philys (only when wearing the "Mayhem" wig)
AKA "oy you, ere's your tea"
 {-)
London (ish)
England (I think)

Steamed up all the time

Bradley

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2009, 11:11:21 pm »

Thanks, Danny.  Just had a look at Mineral on Google maps - looks like a very nice district.
(not being nosey - just interested). ;)
Derek.

bwmarks

« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2009, 12:48:30 am »

That was Mineral VA USA  on the shores of Lake Anna :-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral,_Virginia

Your Mineral looks like nice also!

Brian

hopeitfloats

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2009, 08:08:28 am »

run a poll for a few weeks.  location of members compulsory/not compulsory. majority rules. i cant see a lot of members quitting the site if compulsory wins.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2009, 09:00:52 am »

Why tell us you are in Airdrie, Scotland then.

I live in Airdrie. I'm posting from work.
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

ajb68

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2009, 10:31:51 am »

Personally i dont see a problem with asking for your location , its not like new members are being asked for there full address to be put on a open forum !
As for a earlier post with regard to the site being "clanish" i couldnt disagree more , i havent been on the forum long but i have always had replies to posts and it has on the whole been and i very much hope will continue to be a very good place to gain tips and advice and have a general banter  :-))

Regards Andy

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2009, 10:50:30 am »

Having been about some time as well I agree it's not clannish some post do get left un answered but I think it can be due to the fact that the same question has been asked so many times that members get fed up, also it can depend on how the question is asked , people using text speak don't seem to fair as well sometimes.
on the wonder about where people are I was  a radio Ham G0PAH for a number of years andyou would wonder about who and where you where talking , it was a supprise if you ever met someone, voices can deceive.

peter

Bradley

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2009, 11:35:54 am »

I agree wholeheartedly with Andy Bailey,  Apart from an odd occasion when someone has jumped down my throat (probably deservedly) for posting something incorrect >>:-(. I have found Mayhem very friendly and, most certainly, very helpful. :-))  Wouldnt want to be without it now.

Derek.

omra85

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2009, 03:31:50 pm »

That was Mineral VA USA  on the shores of Lake Anna :-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral,_Virginia

Your Mineral looks like nice also!

Brian

Hi Brian - that IS your Mineral  %) %)  the picture is of the Community Centre on Mineral Avenue (presumably what your taxes paid for?)  {-)
Must say, your picture of the lake look even better though.  :-))

Cheers
Danny
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.