Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Members Profile...  (Read 9744 times)

bwmarks

Re: Members Profile...
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2009, 05:36:27 pm »

Well that isn't fair I've paid for a building I didn't even knew exisited, you can see I usually stay at the lake most of the time. Mineral is just my Post Office and nearest town.

omra85

« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2009, 05:42:17 pm »

you can see I usually stay at the lake most of the time.

I don't blame you one bit - in the shed or at the lake (or on here) - sounds good to me  :-)) {-) {-)

Cheers
Danny

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2009, 09:44:25 pm »

run a poll for a few weeks.  location of members compulsory/not compulsory. majority rules. i cant see a lot of members quitting the site if compulsory wins.

Well, the reason that I came here was specifically because this site seemed to aim at minimising compulsion and control - treating the members as responsible adults who were capable of interacting with others politely and considerately. Originally I did not have a location set - I considered the arguments for setting one and decided to do so. Others may come to a different conclusion - but what I liked about this forum was that it was their choice.

Also, I didn't think this forum was run as a democracy - I thought it was run as Martin and the moderators wanted it to be. Majority voting is not a cure for all ills - it's capable of being as tyrannical as any dictator..

hopeitfloats

« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2009, 06:39:52 am »

it was only a suggestion to be taken on board or not by martin and friends as they see fit.  personally i'm not bothered either way.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2009, 02:37:41 pm »

A wise tyrant will know what is wanted and what is needed and what doesn't make any difference, and when to just leave it alone.
There is no need for compulsion, but anybody who asks for advice about shops and products without saying where they are will rapidly discover the advantages of saying where they are.  It doesn't always help - I also look on a couple of US boards, the assumption by several on there is that the entire world is part of the US in all respects, so having your whereabouts on view does nothing anyway.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2009, 11:11:48 pm »

Well said, Malcolm  :-))

As has been mentioned before, new members are encouraged in the Welcome Message each receives, to state their location - country and state or county is sufficient - but their is no compulsion to do so. My own personal feeling is that it is good to know where people come from, and merely stating a general location poses no threat. Martin and the moderators have discussed the matter at length, and have decided to maintain the status quo, believing that the statement in the Welcome Message is sufficient.

Peter.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.