Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live Steam TID  (Read 1784 times)

mrsgoggins

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Live Steam TID
« on: October 27, 2009, 11:21:38 am »

I hope that the information and pictures following of my TID at the time of her first sailing trials will prove of interest to some. Much work remains to be done including developing the steam plant and completing the deck fittings but I feel an input to Mayhem is overdue. I will add more information and clearer photographs as work progresses and intend to cover the steam plant on the appropriate thread.

She is scratch built to a scale of 1/19, giving an overall length of about 45" and powered by a self designed steam plant incorporating commercial castings for the engine. I'm claiming it as a first attempt even though I started the build with a Kingston Mouldings hull which I sold to Stavros when it was about 50% complete. The change of direction was forced by the size of the steam plant and the move of scale from 1/20 to 1/19 gave me that bit more space and displacement. This in turn dictated a corresponding increase in the size of my car and the need to make most of the fittings myself.

I have learned many things from Mayhem and from painfull experience, particularly when I dropped the superstructure and superglued fittings flew in all directions like shrapnel. Enthusiasm has waned a little as I have just had a knee replacement and can't be ar**d to do much but I hope to make the most of my convalescence.

This will have to do for the moment as exercises and an icepack are beckoning.

Keith
Chasing perfection but not running fast enough!

kno3

Re: Live Steam TID
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 11:30:16 am »

Nice build. Could you please tell us more about the engine and boiler?

Hobie21

Re: Live Steam TID
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 07:13:52 pm »

It looks very much like a copy of a Cheddar Proteus  ;)
Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.