Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbe Magin 1  (Read 18327 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Robbe Magin 1
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 05:14:02 pm »

Lets see some pics of your progress that would be good to see  ok2.
Mart

Mal X

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 07:26:11 pm »

oh god, right now she has major problems, she's not totally self- righting, maybe because at the moment there's no hatch cover on her, she's tuning no further than side on, i need to get sellotape tomorrow and test her again.

this new self- rigthing tube isn't as large a volume as the standard box and i'm suspicious of this, even so; my guess is, if she pivots further than 90 degrees, then she'll self-right, but she wont at the moment because she's got no hatch cover and taking on too much water

yes i'll upload photos, but not whilst she looking like a pile of junk   :D :D

Mal X

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 11:48:27 pm »

ok i tested her with sellotape, even worst, she's not sinking at all, the chamber isn't even filling up with water, i know what it is, she needs another hole close to the bottom of the hull to releive the air pressure inside.

she already has 4 holes in the top, but none near the bottom ``far end`` of the chamber, i now have another self- righting chamber for her that's the same size as the original, so i'll fit it tomorrow

she's sinking ever so slightly at the stern and then stopping, she cant sink any further because of the air pressure inside, silly me Duuurr  :-)

no worries, because i dont plan to race her till next spring anyway. :-))

it's all good experience, but it tells me that self-righting a large cat will be a nightmare, because her chamber will have to be in the bow  {:-{.........because there's no room in the stern; she'll have 2 engines !!!!!!

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 03:51:02 pm »

You dont need a self righting chamber in a large cat just have plenty of pool noodles for floatation,most big cats will be running petrol or nitro motors anyway so no point it self righting because the motors will die when flooded lol,preferably they should be shut off when you dunk or you will damage them but thats easier said than done.What you do need is a way to retrieve it when it dunks,tennis ball and fishing rod works for short to mid range,any further you need a rescue boat.
Mart

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 09:56:31 pm »

Hi Mal X,

Please put up some pictures of your Magin, even if she looks terrible, that's no point, must people who have responded know what she looks like.

Changing the original floodchamber for one of your own design wasn't the smartest thing to do, as you've experienced.
It probably holds less water than the stock one and even that one was barely large enough to make her selfright.

Keep in mind, the Magin One was designed with a 700 motor and 12-14 cells, so this boat needs weight, if you go for a brushless motor and Lipo's, you'll have to add ballast to get this boat to run sensibly, and most likely extra weight on the inside of the floodchamber to get her to self-right.

As suggested, keep the motorisation mild, this hull reaches it's limits rather quick, due to the floppy material used and the design, being for the medium powered 700 motor.
The underwaterhull needs drastic modifications to be able to run as fast as a modern epoxy hull.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Mal X

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 08:57:17 am »

ok thanks, i will upload photos when she's been undercoated

as said by both of us, her hull is way too flimsy, but i've strengthened her transom and tomorrow i'll be fiberglassing on the inside too, she's starting to get quite heavy, so adding ballast weight might not be needed !  {-) .......maybe only needed to help self-right though

she's more than twice the weight she was and i still have to strengthen her even more, because right now; due to building tug boats in the past, i sense that she's way too weak.

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 01:59:01 pm »

Don't mistake a speedboat for a tug!

A speedboat needs to be strong, not too heavy, as all that weight must be propelled to get on the plane, don't overdo it.

Eagerly awating your pictures.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 02:27:23 pm »

If you going to fibreglass her make sure you use epoxy,polyester will probably melt it  :o.However i think your spending way too much time and effort on that flimsy hull when theres lots of nice glass hulls available cheap.
Mart

Mal X

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 04:20:37 pm »

ok, she is still not self-righting (empty hull) all she's doing is lying upside down in the bath, she's not even flooding, the intake holes on the top of her hull aren't even in the water, i'm starting to get really fed up with this; i cant take much more of this c**p  :(( >:-o!

when you agitate the bath water, she still doesn't fill up, she's way too light on that side of her hull, as said, she really does need ballast inside her flood chamber.

but, i'm not happy with her structural strength, so i might scrap her and get another boat, i want her to be extremely fast and as you guys have said, she not up to the task!

i dont really want to waste anymore money on her, because it's throwing good money down the toilet, i will think about buying either a mini-cat at about 32'' or a ``DRAGON RC China `` mono.

i'm quite upset with Robbe, this boat isn't good enough and just like their tug ``HAPPY HUNTER`` styrene hulls are just not strong enough, i dont know why the hell i brought her, stupid me! 

Mal X

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 04:47:03 pm »

If you going to fibreglass her make sure you use epoxy,polyester will probably melt it  :o.However i think your spending way too much time and effort on that flimsy hull when theres lots of nice glass hulls available cheap.
Mart

yea', you are 100% right, i have spent 4 days of solid boat building, wasted a fortune on filler, glue, sealent, hands are cut to pieces etc, downstairs looks a right mess, i love model making but this is getting me nowhere! 

Mal X

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 04:50:29 pm »

http://www.astecmodels.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_86&products_id=659

this is the one for me,  cheap 540 purple motor from China; i'll get the most powerful 6T version, this hull is only 60 quid, i'll order it tonight.

http://www.himodel.com/electric/5mm_Shaft_2779KV_Feigao_540XL_Series_Brushless_Motor_Tyep_5408406XL.html

Mal X

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 05:20:25 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQlIhm4B0oM

this one is the 8XL purple motor, i'll get the 6XL  :-))
i'll start a new thread when ready

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhyz3AAwgNc&feature=related

this one is damned fast but is only an 11XL, flipping heck, maybe the 6XL is too powerful then!

this cat is very exciting and all the videos seem to use the same make of FEIGAO motor, i'm in a good mood now  {-) {-)

because this stuff is dead cheap direct from China, plus i can also use the Magin 1 decals i've designed ``HAWAIIN PUNCH``

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 10:32:11 pm »

Mal have you seen the small leccy hydros? i made a plug of one from a free plan ages ago its the same one the mini cat is copied off.I made some moulds and will be making a few in the new year,they will do 35-45 with a  small brushless motor on 3s lipo.My lad had a similar one a while back theyre great fun the hulls only 16" long.Heres a pic of the bottom moulding ,i still need to finnish the top mould to make the top.
Mart

Mal X

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 11:04:29 pm »

Mal have you seen the small leccy hydros? i made a plug of one from a free plan ages ago its the same one the mini cat is copied off.I made some moulds and will be making a few in the new year,they will do 35-45 with a  small brushless motor on 3s lipo.My lad had a similar one a while back theyre great fun the hulls only 16" long.Heres a pic of the bottom moulding ,i still need to finnish the top mould to make the top.
Mart

YEA' that looks cool  :-)), these little boats always seems to be travelling miles faster than the larger models, i suppose it's due to the scale speed of a smaller hull, this one travelling at 45 will be really fast indeed  :-))

knoby

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 11:33:20 pm »

Hi mart, I been toying with the idea of building a .12 or .18 hydro for a while now. Best bet looked like the jap 12g, but your little hull caught my attention. what you reckon she'd go like with a .12 in her?
cheers Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2009, 12:41:07 am »

Im sure the boat would go well with that size engine ,but im still in the process of finishing the moulds.I should have something ready in the new year all been well.The hull itself is 1 1/2" deep between the sponsons so the cowl would need to take into account the height of the motor when in the boat etc.The current cowl is too low as its designed for electric motors but no reason i cant make a nitro version.I was toying with the idea anyway,heres a very rough sketch of one idea.
Mart

Mal X

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2009, 01:36:27 am »

how about  a Budweiser style airofoil  :-))

john j

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2009, 03:25:12 am »

how about  a Budweiser style airofoil  :-))

To suit the OS 46 VX-M  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Mal X

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2009, 07:55:34 pm »

OK, Magin 1 is now quite strong, the transom  has Bulwalk supports and is now 4mm thick Styrene..........BUT, i've been told that she wont be fast; because she runs on her Chine and thus rocks from side to side, uuum hang around, she's got trim tabs, but maybe he didn't realise this!  {:-{

i'm after the Hor 32 Aparation Cat from Astec, but i've got to wait, all sold out, this cat is very popular.

so whilst waiting, i will fit and reinforce prop tube, engine mount and then spray her up.

i must now take a look at her engine mount  :-))

brodjack

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2009, 08:40:24 pm »

Mal X

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2009, 09:15:09 pm »

thanks for that

with carriage, it's the same price as AStec,  they also sell the ``almost ready to run boat``.

Mal X

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2009, 09:38:44 pm »

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/246516611/RC_Boat_GP_Gas_Powered_26CC/showimage.html

you wanna see this place, they have loads of cats and hydros, both petrol and electric, 78 pages; but i got fed up after page 8  O0

these Chinese, flipping heck, they're totally amazing, they'll be running the world in 10 years time, i saw loads of cats just like ``King of Shaves`, i also saw another supplier with future products WOW  %%

but all of this stuff is for bulk supply only, you'd have to visit a shop in HONG KONG or Shanghai to pick up a bargain like that.

glennb2006

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2009, 11:52:45 pm »

Hi mart, I been toying with the idea of building a .12 or .18 hydro for a while now. Best bet looked like the jap 12g, but your little hull caught my attention. what you reckon she'd go like with a .12 in her?
cheers Glenn

A .12 will make a well set up hydro like the Jae 12go well, but I think something like Mart's will need a bit more oomph to get it moving.

Funnily enough - my Fae .12 has just arrived and is my next build if I ever get this whiplash completed.

Glenn (As well)

knoby

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2009, 12:14:06 am »

Hi other Glenn, thanks for that, i was wondering. don't have much experience in ic boating, did a couple of years class c multi in early 80's but didn't really have the budget to take it up as i wanted. I fancied building a rigger for ages & since i have a .12 motor from a car sitting in the shed, i though it would be a good ( & cheap) way of learning about set up etc.
Cheers Glenn

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2009, 10:00:59 am »

The .12 will move this thing well id think no problem might not be ballistic depends on the motor if its race ar sports motor etc,the minibat which is from minicat racing is from these same plans i built the plug from (hydromite) and my lad had one.It ran 35 mph on a 2600 kv brushless motor on 3 s lipo, its ballistic and turns great once set up right.If id known these plans were of the same hull i could have copied from the glass one but i sold it ages ago.If your running a car motor id stick with the leccy top maybe and have the head exposed ?,if not i can def modify a hatch to fit your purpose.The car motor might not be as powerfull as the brushless setup im not sure but it will move it fine.
Mart
heres a vid of my lads similar one bearing in mind it has an oversized heavy servo and the esc was playing up.Was fun to run and was much faster with the smaller servo and a new esc and battery.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUX555ovYsg
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.