Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie alert... I'm after a copy of some instructions...  (Read 2248 times)

bugs

Newbie alert... I'm after a copy of some instructions...
« on: November 27, 2009, 02:09:44 pm »

Hi all. New to the forum and new to building boats so a little at sea (pun intended) right now...

I like the look of the Fairey Huntsman 31 but I would like to take a look at the instructions to understand a little about what's involved and what I need to budget for initially. I'm not after the plans as I appreciate these are retail items in their own right but wondered whether anyone know where I could obtain instructions online?

Cheers

Bradley

Re: Newbie alert... I'm after a copy of some instructions...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 03:33:26 pm »

Hi Bugs,
I have a 46.5" grp hulled Huntsman which I bought from my local model shop a week ago so have got to the stage of having finished the internal framewor but not yet fitted in the hull.  I do not have any photos at the moment but have a look at the following websites which you may find useful -

http://mjed.co.uk/fairy-huntsman.html
http://philsworkbench.blogspot.com/search/label/Fairey%20Huntsman
http://www.faireyownersclub.co.uk/

Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Derek.

bugs

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 04:52:05 pm »

Thanks, Derek - lots of useful info via those links. I'm still trying to get my head round the various motor options. I was thinking electric initially given my experience with a messy and hard to start IC powered remote control car, however, run time entered the equation and I'm now reconsidering...

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 05:00:48 pm »

If you are thinking of I/C instead of electric motors bear in mind that there aren't many places where you can use I/C powered boats. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bradley

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 05:17:29 pm »

Hi again Bugs,
I am considering powering mine with twin brushless motors which will give enough speed to get up on the plane.  I am not too well into brushless at the moment so I will also need some advice when the time comes.  In view of the great selection of brushless motors available I would not consider IC and, in any case, IC is forbidden at my club.
The grp hull moulding is quite a good one on my big version but some of the die cutting on the plywood is not too great :-) :((.  Also a lot of the ply is liteply which I think is not necessary.  I personally feel that it would pay Anglia Model Centre to upgrade the kit and start using styrene for the cabin/superstructure, etc., and to include some of the deck fittings, etc., but I get the impression that they have done nothing to improve the kit since they bought it from SLEC - a shame really as it can be made into a quite impressive boat ok2.  I would certainly have been happy to pay more for a better and more comprehensive kit.  
If you get the chance to have a look at a kit before you buy, I would advise you to do so and then you can form your own opinion.
Derek.

bugs

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 08:25:36 pm »

I had heard that the kit parts are not always up to scratch, however, being wood, I'm guessing that it's not beyond some making good? I may regret this but I think I like the idea of wood versus styrene. I'm probably showing my model making naivety...

With regard to motors... I need to weigh up all the pros and cons. I'm not likely to be a club competitor etc, more the occasional play so it needs to be practical. Is practical having batteries always charged and ready to go or having a glow plug always charged and ready to go?

Bradley

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 08:38:30 pm »

I am not competetive but I would want the boat to perform in a similar manner to the full size - no point in having a high speed, planing hull when, due to lack of power, all you can do is just potter along. :((
Even if you use a glow plug motor you will have to stop and refuel and with batteries you can have as many packs charged up as you like and only take a few seconds to change over.
The hull is NOT styrene it is GRP (fibreglass) and the timber frame has to be made up to fit inside it.  I will try to take some photos of mine and post them tomorrow.
Also, as DickyD says, IC powered models are, most definitely, not allowed in many places. >:-o
Derek.

bugs

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 09:52:41 pm »

Is it the clubs that do not allow IC or the custodians of the ponds/lakes/etc?

Bradley

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 10:01:51 pm »

Usually the local authority or whoever owns the water and the club/s have no option but to comply otherwise they lose the use of the water.  I think that there may also be an insurance element involved.

bugs

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 10:23:03 pm »

Looks like it's gonna be electric then  :-)

Are there any particularly good online retailers for boats, motors, etc?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 03:30:22 am »

Go to the front page of the forum. There are sponsors links at the top and the bottom of the page.

These are trustworthy suppliers that are used a lot by members on here.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.