Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Lady Elizabeth"  (Read 2412 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"Lady Elizabeth"
« on: November 27, 2009, 07:16:01 pm »

Via email to Mayhem...

Hello, I build "different" model boats,from a ten feet long semi scale "Mauretania," to an "endangered species", of a Paddle Shark!! At present, I have just completed a r/c model of a four-
masted b arque,using two winches,esc,and rudder servo.

"Lady Elizabeth"; she weighs in at twenty-two lbs.,is 5 ft long,14in.beam,and is fitted with one winch to move the yards on the main mast['1st one]to turn the sails aback,to turn,and the next two masts yards are linked together,so the other winch can pull one set only to move both.The jigger and the jibs are preset,and she`s fitted with a docking electric motor,[from a cordless drill]which keeps me off islands,etc.,and out of other`s way!! I was given the hull,a friend had got it off ebay,from Manchester,rigged as a yawl with a huge 5/8in bolt 12" long with a lump of 28lb.lead just hanging there,and wondered why it didn't sail?!!
It`s taken three months so far,making 33 sails and working out the keel,but does she look good,or what?She`s the only 4 master to my knowledge in the South West,or at least, in the Exmouth area.I`ll send other pix when I've done them,if you let me know I can.
Bob.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: "Lady Elizabeth"
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 02:37:23 am »

Is this the Lady Elizabeth who's hulk is lying just outside Port Stanley, Falkland Islands?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 08:19:03 pm »

Nice looking model... :-)) Will she tack under sail, or do you have to wear her around??? I find on my models that the Main and Mizzen staysails are more trouble than they are worth and can be the cause a knockdown if you don't have good control of the sheets so I know longer fit them... Having said that they do look good when they are full and drawing properly... Again a nice looking model :-))
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 08:36:34 pm »

By the way Martin are you trying to confuse me on purpose??? or was that finger trouble ?... Because when I was at Sea the masts on a 4 masted Barque were Named starting from Foreward 1) Fore Mast ---2) Main Mast ---3) Mizzen Mast ---4) Jigger Mast :} :}  By the way where are you sailing her not in Ron's little pond I bet... :D :D
Jimmy
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.