Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WEBB Model Fittings  (Read 12539 times)

woodybob

WEBB Model Fittings
« on: November 29, 2009, 01:29:44 am »

Say... whatever happened to this great little company that made such wonderful fittings for model boats? 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: WEBB Model Fittings
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 09:03:20 am »

They went out of business many years ago I'm afraid.

Colin

The long Build

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 10:12:54 am »

Thought someone took over the fittings ?

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 05:22:52 pm »

I've got one of their last catalogues, and to be honest the offerings (although well made) were very expensive, completely outdated and would be out of place within the bounds of "modern" model making. OK if you are re-building a 1930s Basset-Lowke model I suppose. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

woodybob

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 10:34:22 pm »

I've got one of their last catalogues, and to be honest the offerings (although well made) were very expensive, completely outdated and would be out of place within the bounds of "modern" model making. OK if you are re-building a 1930s Basset-Lowke model I suppose. BY.

hummm... care to post some pages from that catalog?

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 10:41:20 pm »

hummm... care to post some pages from that catalog?
Yes, OK. But give me a couple of days to do it. BY.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 01:10:19 pm »

Weren't there some ads for them a couple of years back, in "Model Boats" someone selling off the stock??

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 04:04:54 pm »

Sorry. I KNOW I've got the thing somewhere...just haven't found it yet! (Too much "stuff").
However, I do have to hand a 1933 Basset-Lowke catalogue that is actually more interesting than the Webb offering. I've also got it on disc, so copying is no problem.
I could put one or two sample pages on here if anyone is interested? Or I could do the whole book in a serial form. Thoughts? BY.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 05:13:44 pm »

Whole please Bryan.

LB

Bradley

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 05:23:28 pm »

I may be wrong but, as a young copper  :police: in North London in the 1960's, I seem to recall Webb Model Fittings having a workshop in a back street in Wood Green where two elderly gentlemen made all the fittings - fascinating to call in for a cuppa and watch them at work  ;).  I have no doubt when they got too old they sold the business but I suppose that no-one was interested in hand-making fittings any longer and the firm just 'disappeared'.  I also have a catalogue somewhere but I would hate to try and find it after several house moves.
Perhaps Bryan Young would correct me if my memories are wrong :((.
Derek.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 06:26:19 pm »

I may be wrong but, as a young copper  :police: in North London in the 1960's, I seem to recall Webb Model Fittings having a workshop in a back street in Wood Green where two elderly gentlemen made all the fittings - fascinating to call in for a cuppa and watch them at work  ;).  I have no doubt when they got too old they sold the business but I suppose that no-one was interested in hand-making fittings any longer and the firm just 'disappeared'.  I also have a catalogue somewhere but I would hate to try and find it after several house moves.
Perhaps Bryan Young would correct me if my memories are wrong :((.
Derek.
Sorry Derek, all I can recall is that their fittings, although beautifully made, were "out of date" (i.e."traditional") and very expensive. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 06:58:46 pm »

This reply primarily for LB.....but also for others who are interested.
Since my previous post I've looked again at the disc.
It runs to 104 pages, taking up 192mb of disc space. It is (obviously) about model ships of the era, plus a bit about other aspects of modelling that B-L did. Each page is between 1 and 2 mb, reducing a page to the 161kb required by the forum looks horrible!
So I have a suggestion....if anyone "out there" would like a copy of the disc I'm willing to do it for "free". Mainly because I hate to see "stuff" hidden away and never seen by interested people.
All I'd request is that you send me a PM with a mailing address, I'll PM you with mine. Send me a blank CD (preferably CD-RW, but not vital), with a small label or whatever with a return stamp on it and I'll post the full disc back ASAP. My recent postage cost for a CD within the UK has been 68p....and £1-60 for postage to the USA. (But only 75p to New Zealand.....you work it out!).
I can also enclose a little list of other very old stuff I have on disc that makes interesting reading....particularly WW2 guff produced by the Ministry for (dis)Information. Bryan.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 11:00:03 pm »

Yes Bryan I see the point, I'll send you a disk by the end of the week, I would do so tomorrow of course but I'm on Orangeleaf transporting  Lairds to Birkenhead, Sir Percy arriving on Wednesday so that will be a 0430 start.

LB

The long Build

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 11:24:51 pm »

I have the Eleventh Edition (Eighth Edition Illustrated) think I purchased the Catalogue back in the 80's sometime when I had Grand idea of building an 8 foot Titanic (and this was before the JC film..) still have the 1/4 inch frames I cut , never know maybe one day.. :-X

Bradley

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 05:01:22 pm »

Hi Long Build,
Perhaps, from your catalogue, you could confirm that the address of the Webb Model Fitting Co was in Wood Green, London N.22.
From your photo it looks like the one I remember.
Derek.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 05:40:39 pm »

Yes, it was 204 High Road, Wood Green, London N22. I have the advert in an old copy of Model Maker.

Colin

Bradley

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 05:45:18 pm »

Thanks, Colin.  Just shows my memory hasn't gone completely and they were rear of r/o 204.
Derek.

The long Build

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 06:37:24 pm »

Yes, it was 204 High Road, Wood Green, London N22. I have the advert in an old copy of Model Maker.

Colin

Actually the address shown in the Catalogue is

The Web Model Fitting Co.
63 Uppleby Road
Parkstone
Poole
Dorset
BH12 3DB

Also mentions at the back that they were an Associate Company of   "Chine Engineering Ltd. and that Chine is Ministry of Defence Approved to DEF STAN 05-24

Larry

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 06:41:03 pm »

Must have been a later date then. I do vaguely remember that there was a change of some sort at some point. The address I have given was taken from a 1960 advert.

Colin

The long Build

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 06:42:45 pm »

Must have been a later date then. I do vaguely remember that there was a change of some sort at some point. The address I have given was taken from a 1960 advert.

Colin

Me not around then  :} :}

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 06:43:19 pm »

Me was  :((

The long Build

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 07:07:00 pm »

I think you AND a couple of OTHERS I know have been around a lot longer than we know about..  No matter what year model boats mag I pick up, their there.. 8) 8)

Bradley

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 07:24:37 pm »

I remember seeing the company advertised for sale many, many years ago and I thought then that their products would not survive  :(( - they were too well made and labour intensive.  As I mentioned previously, it was the 1960's when I used to sneak into their premises for a cup of tea  :-)) and the address was r/o 204, High Road, N22.  So that probably puts me well along the 'age scale' :(( :((.

Derek.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 07:40:26 pm »

I think you AND a couple of OTHERS I know have been around a lot longer than we know about..  No matter what year model boats mag I pick up, their there.. 

The rumours of reincarnation are true......

Colin

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 07:56:05 pm »

Didn't they have an advt on ther back of MB magazine? I remember brass guns suitable for TBDs and such, and Braine gears for yachts.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 22 queries.