Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Gas bills and other mysteries of our time!  (Read 6136 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Gas bills and other mysteries of our time!
« on: November 30, 2009, 03:57:17 pm »

So there I am at home going through the bills and various other bits of junk mail and I come across a letter from Xxxxxx Gas Ltd.

'Dear Sucker,
....we have adjusted you direct debit in accordance to your gas useage over the last year.
Your new rates will increase from £72 per month to..... £285 per month.
Thank you for your custom.
Regards,
 Uncaring Conglomerate.

Therein followed a very short but very terse conversation to said company.

I followed up with another, more reasonable phone call a couple of days later and I actually got through to a reasonable person
that didn't need any prompting from me! "Your bill seems to have gone up by..... 300% .... in one month! Hmmm, that doesn't
seem quite right, have you changed anything dramatic recently?"

"No. Don't you think you should ring someone to mention that their bill is going up 400%???"

"Well you would have thought so but we don't.... on the other hand, we would have rang you when you Didn't pay it!
What I'll do is arrange for your meter to be changed on Friday. We very sorry about this. We'll assess your bill based on a weeks
useage on the new meter and we'll backdate you bill up to 24 months when you meter was last replaced.
 My name is _____ _____. My personal phone No. is _________.  Anything else I can help you with sir?"

"Oh!...... Er.......no. Thank you very much."

Well, we'll see what happens next but needless to say, everyone in the house is wearing thermals this week as the heating is set to 1o above the fridge! We sit around a candle in the evenings and I'll light it if it gets really cold!

What's your tail of woe / joy?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

craftysod

Re: Gas bills and other mysteries of our time!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 05:57:09 pm »

I got an electric bill last week for £98.
Rang up said company and told them i cant have a bill,as i'm on a payment card,if i dont put any money on card,i dont get electric.
OOPS sorry they said,you are actually in credit,i know put £30 on it today i said
Mark

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 07:18:01 pm »

My brother had an insistent meter reader demanding to have access to the house to read the gas meter. He wasn't even apologetic when he was informed that they did not have gas.

On another occasion he had a vastly inflated estimate for his electricity. When he complained, he was told he was out when the meter reader called. Not denying that that might have been true, he asked why the meter reader hadn't opened the meter cupboard, situated next to the front door, and read the meter. Surely they carried the appropriate key? Mumbled apology, through grtted teeth.

They are out there, working out how to annoy you next  <*< <*< <*<
Don't Assume Check

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 07:28:53 pm »

The Gestapo were round Queensbury last week with their clipboards and hi-viz jackets, demanding to know what we all do with our trade waste. For those of you that do not run a business, waste collection is not covered by the Business Rates. Just managing to keep my temper, I told them  that my waste consisted almost entirely of cardboard and teabags, and that most of the cardboard was reused by another business.

So now I have to get this chap to produce a Waste Transfer Note every time he picks up the cardboard and keep it for two years. More likely he just won't bother.

And we pay the wages of these jobsworths and for the gormless glossy brochure they left.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Roger in France

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 07:40:57 pm »

So, when the guy who takes your cardboard away decides he does not want it this time (but he did not want to offend you by not taking it )and dumps it by the roadside and it is then traced back to you and you receive a summons for fly tipping because you are unable to show you transferred it to him, your quite happy are you?

And when the "jobsworths" detect another trader dumping toxic waste next to a children's play area you think that is a waste of time as well do you?

It is amazing what trying to see things from another perspective can do!

Roger in France.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 07:55:55 pm »

I changed to a water meter a while back.

I pay my water bill monthly and my new payment went down by 50%, yes 50%.

Anyway, my last bill showed I was in credit by rather a large amount so I phoned up the water board who checked my meter reading and found that I was actually using

25% of the water they had allowed for when working out my payments.

They reimbursed my over payments without query and again reduced my monthly payments. 

I am a very happy person.

More money for boats ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 09:09:34 pm »

Which water Co are you with?
Jimmy
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

craftysod

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 09:15:52 pm »

Solent water,
He dont worry about drinking/bathing in salt water  {-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 09:23:39 pm »

Which water Co are you with?
Jimmy
Freebooter

Southern Water, Solent water is to far to walk.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 09:29:34 pm »

The whole point is, Roger, that they never catch the fly tippers. They just go for the soft option - the people who pay their Business Rates, their Income Tax, their VAT, their Class 4 NICs and, ultimately, their wages.

I repeat that they are jobsworths, anxious only to justify their existence, their wages (now above the average for private industry) and assured pensions.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

Roger in France

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 07:44:11 am »

Where is the evidence for what you say, Jonty?

Roger in France

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 08:59:12 am »

the only  peeps making money are speed cameras and health and safety!! The amount of paperwork I now have to do as a warehouse manager just for enviromental waste takes up 10 hrs a week! (I work in print).......Then health and safety come in and say you have to have this do that, more expense, then we have to have iso this and iso that then on top of that we have to have FSC accreditation, that has to kept up to date etc etc......and that is before I even start to get a delivery thru the door!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 10:35:20 am »

I'm with Roger on the fly-tipping question..

On water meters...  If we all have them fitted the company income goes down by  say 50%  won't the rate for a cubic meter of waterever then go up? and we'll be back to square one?

das boot

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 10:59:11 am »

Oh, we catch the fly tippers alright...all the favourite places they use have recently installed CCTV, and there they are on camera, throwing all their c**p out the back of an old Transit van on film.

The council prosecute them...the courts fine them a paltry sum, slap their wrists and tell them to be solid, upstanding citizens in future. The next night, there they are again, fly tipping in another place. I spend the best part of my time now clearing fly tips so they can go tip another lot.

Still, I look at it in a positive way...if there weren't any fly tippers, I wouldn't have a job.

As for electric bills....yesterday I had 11(yes, eleven)separate electric bills arrive through my letter box. They varied from £36 through to £745. Guess which one I'll be paying...

Rich

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 12:50:46 pm »

The guy that was dumping Asbestos close to me hardly got a slap on the wrists recently, problem with the whole fly tipping saga is costs. No matter how much extra the councils load on for getting rid of waste, it still ends up dumped BECAUSE of the extra costs.

Have been re-cycling our houshold waste for ages now, NOT cos we're treehuggers, but we CAN. All plastics in one bag, tins in another, glass likewise etc..

Trot down to the council tip locally one day to find "Plastic bottles ONLY" on the plastic skip.  Where does the rest of it go??? In with the general waste.

Before the technologists start whining, I worked in design for many many years, so don't start with the different grades of plastic excuse. It's far easier sorting polystyrene from PET or ABS when it's all in one mix rather than inamongst food waste and houshold rubbish.

As most of us have to put our wheelie bins next to the road for the crews to hook onto the back of the wagon and then abandon till WE shift them back, Why do cleansing charges keep going up??
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

das boot

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 02:22:01 pm »

As most of us have to put our wheelie bins next to the road for the crews to hook onto the back of the wagon and then abandon till WE shift them back, Why do cleansing charges keep going up??

Because the cost to the council of disposing of your rubbish keeps going up....fuel for the RCV's keeps going up....road tax/insurance for the RCV's keeps going up....the cost of an RCV keeps going up...etc etc.

Next question?

Rich

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 02:45:03 pm »

There are times when the council (or their duly appointed agents) try to increase their own costs.  When we were wheelied, we also got a snazzy blue bag for paper.  Last month, about a year into the scheme, they were swapped for brown bags, about half the size.  I wondered  a few things. First, how much did the new bags cost?  Second, since the blue ones were perfectly serviceable, what was the carbon footprint of providing brand new, totally un-needed bags?  Third, what happened to the blue ones?
When the collectors managed to lose the new one on their first collection, I took the opportunity to ask while reporting it.  They replied promptly, advising that a new one would be supplied.  They also said that my environmental query had been passed on.  I ain't holding my breath waiting for a reply.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 04:26:08 pm »

just to show that gas companies can (do) get it all wrong.
We moved into our house, took it over from an elderly lady who lived alone and used very little gas.
Over a period of time, house was modified and central heating installed. Estimated bills started to appear, grossly incorrect by a good margin (way too low). Tried to get them altered, waste of time - talk to yourself was a more useful game.
After about eighteen months of this, I did a reading and calculated what I owed. Oh dear me, sweat breaks out on forehead. In the region of £350, bill comes in - £13.
Tried everything to get them to take the correct amount (including a trip to their head office). No way, we can only take what is on the bill.
Even got my wife to go into office and try (on the basis that she could confuse anyone or any situation) - still no joy. The final straw was to mention to them that they had my address wrong, could that be sorted while we're at it?
'Not interested in your address mate - we only work from your reference number'.

Situation finally resolved when we changed to natural gas, the old meter and it's evidence vanished and was never heard of again.
Breathed a few sighs of relief later, they finally lost out on over £450 of charges.  :}
And the address? That only took another twenty years to resolve, but hey, who is perfect?
Signed,
A consumer who almost likes gas companies

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 04:46:23 pm »

I recently switched to British Gas to get a dual fuel tariff with online management. They have had a lot of problems with their website software but it finally seems to be working now.

Had an email - "View your bill online". I did, it was up to date and I was £279 in debit. Having gone back through all the records it seems that the monthly direct debit has been set too low so since March I have been slowly sliding downhill although nobody has said anything. (must be all the time I spend on Mayhem). They do however have a facility for making one off payments "although you don't need to as you are on direct debit". I have cleared the debit balance now but if I hadn't taken action i just wonder how long it would have been before they woke up to the fact that I owed them a couple of grand or so....

Must go out and buy some of those LED bulbs.

Colin

chingdevil

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 07:53:34 pm »

Earlier in the year I had a new central heating installed, as part of this I had my water main updated from lead to plastic. Had to have a plan drawn up for the new meter by Thames £200 deposit for that, I would get it back if I decided not have them install the meter, who else will do it? Cost for installation of water meter and inspection £795 minus my 200 deposit.  I contacted Thames when the trench reached the depth of a World War 1 trench to have them inspect my nice new blue pipe, slight problem with insulation of pipe in my property, that will be another £81 pound for re-inspection. Men come to install meter two men start to dig hole in wrong place, quick argument sorts that out, install water meter box, two men then turn up to install said water meter first two men then connect water meter to mains pipe, hole filled in. Next day two men turn up dig up around the water meter and reisntate the pavement, next day another two men turn up to dig up the hole where the water is connected and refill hole. Last Friday men come back to cure leak in meter box, and the pavement has sunk where the new mains connection is, councils turn now.

Brian

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 07:57:30 pm »

Charge by Southern Water to install water meter, nothing.

Time taken, part of one day including making good the pavement.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 08:08:37 pm »

Brian, was yours done anywhere around ....April first by any chance...?!?!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

omra85

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 08:26:57 pm »

We got a water meter last year.
One phone call to Severn Trent, one bloke, half a day, includes external reading point, very neat job behind sink unit.
Last annual bill before meter = £402
Monthly direct debit with meter = £15.94 (under £200 per year)
Current situation = £41.31 IN CREDIT

I'm an even happier bunny than Dicky  :-))

Danny

chingdevil

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 08:41:26 pm »

Martin
The water meter was installed in June, just found out today that I paid my first water bill from a meter in July I will not get another bill until Jan 2010

Brian

knoby

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 09:19:53 pm »

Hi all,
Had a BT phone line, decided to get orange broadband. Orange  connected me up to the net but i had terrible interference on my phoneline & everytime i made or received a call i lost my broadband connection for 20 mins. called Orange

'hello,i seem to have a problem with my connection
'can u speak up, you have a terrible line
' yes , thats what I'm ringing up about

Orange said it was obviously a fault with the BT line & i needed to ring them, so i did

BT said it was obviously a problem with Orange
Rang Orange

Orange said they would run a check on my line, & could i ring them back on another line while they carried it out. i said only got my mobile, can you ring me. was informed ' thats not possible sir. Imagine that a phone company that cant ring out!!! rang orange on my mobile, they said nothing is wrong with your connection AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
over the next 10 months i had the 'speak up please its a bad line' conversation with orange 17 times !!! each time there was no fault found with my line.

Finally I decided to swap my phone line to orange so they couldn't blame BT, Another 7 ' can u speak up its a bad line' coversations, their 'technical department sent me 4 new asdl filters, 6 connecting wires & 2 new modems, all of which had no effect on the problem.

eventually i found a friend, who new a man , who new a man that worked for orange & was able to obtain a number to their engineers department. 1 phone call & my problems disappeared overnight. 3 months now & i never loose my connection & i have a super clear phone line.

I rang Orange to see if i could get any recompense for my trouble. the operator was annoyed that i had got a number to the engineers department as they don't give that number out! so i didn't get far there. As luck would have it, I work for a car body repair shop & we were repairing our companies solicitors car,I mentioned this problem to him & he offered to write them a letter. 2 weeks later i got a very long letter of apology from orange & 3 months free broadband.

Big companies are OK once you find who to talk too
cheers Glenn.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 23 queries.