Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suitable motor for MSW Envoy  (Read 3868 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Suitable motor for MSW Envoy
« on: November 30, 2009, 10:02:29 pm »

Hello.

Wonder if anyone can suggest alternative motor for MSW's excellent Envoy civvie tug to operate on 12v, probably SLA but may be Nimh?

MSW recommend the MFA 919 motor geared at 6:1. But, I've got two of these in Drumbeat and they are as noisey as hell so is not really what I want in the Envoy. I noticed MSW are also offerring the MS 900 BB motor without gearbox as an alternative. Bit pricey at £35 with P&P.

Sooooooooo, can anyone recommend any suitable alternative to swing the Envoy's 70mm prop?

Ta  :-))

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Suitable motor for MSW Envoy
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 11:26:25 pm »

My Envoy has a Hectaperm motor and built in gearbox fitted.  The unit is foot mounted so easy to screw down to a base and powers the model via a 12v 7ah battery to well over scale speed for a couple of hours.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 08:51:34 am »

My Envoy has a Hectaperm motor and built in gearbox fitted.  The unit is foot mounted so easy to screw down to a base and powers the model via a 12v 7ah battery to well over scale speed for a couple of hours.

B-B
Sorry, Richard, but the last price I could find for one of these was over twice as much as the current price for a MMB900. Westbourne Models' website doesn't show Hectaperm or Decaperm any more.

J-B-T
Your only other budget solution would be a scrapyard special sorry - car blower-fan motor. Ref coupling, mounting and suitable ESC for one of these, you're on your own. I'd go for the MMB900 if I were you (and not just because we sell 'em - they are simply superb motors).

FLJ

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 09:37:32 am »

Marx Decaperm Motor 2.75:1 6V or 12V £99.00

Marx Hectoperm Motor 2:1 6V or 12V £110.55

Prices from Cornwall Model Boats

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/geared_motors.html
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 10:37:29 am »

I have a passion against motors & gearboxes in model boats but I don't have any experience of Hectaperm motors, how would you rate your Bunkerbarge ? How quiet is it?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 11:40:59 am »

I have a passion against motors & gearboxes in model boats but I don't have any experience of Hectaperm motors, how would you rate your Bunkerbarge ? How quiet is it?

Martin
Having recently had an MRI scan I can say that a Hectaperm would be stiff competition for one of those beasts in the noise stakes.
Gearboxes may be noisy but they will allow a motor to run at its most efficient speed (i.e. rather fast) while turning a prop which would otherwise overload it. Having said that, a 70mm prop @ 12v on direct-drive wouldn't cause a 900 even to break sweat.
FLJ

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 11:50:53 am »

well you always where a Luddite Martin, they are good if you go belt drive and line them up , the motor if geared correct stays nice and cold so has a longer life less amps and we have found less vibration/noise than a coupling.

Peter

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 12:33:49 pm »

Ah, you see, this is where you get me wrong! ( Struth, that's bad English!) The right, non-geared motor
does exist that matches exactly your own requirements ... but how much are you prepared to pay for it?

Very few motors exist at the price that most modellers are prepared to pay for them but if you do want a 540
sized motor that will turn at 1,000 rpm with a load equivalent to a 60mm 4 blade steam prop and draw 5 Amps
at 6volts .... just get onto Mabuchi or CROUZET or Charles Austen (or whoever) and they will happily match for
said motor... and send you a lovely invoice.

.... that's why I use the motors of the shelf ...because I'm not prepared to pay £4,000 for a 540 motor!
  I'll make do with the closest cheap equivalent ... or use an old fan motor from a Ford Cortina!

I still hate geared drive in model boats but I hate belt drive even more!

Cheapskates of the world Unite!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 06:48:37 pm »

This appears to be a subject that comes up pretty often. As far as gearing goes, I'm in Martins camp. When I first put "Bluebird of Chelsea" on the water it had 2 geared motors.....and you could hear the whine of the gears across the width of our quite large lake. I also found that I hade no reserves of speed to escape the "keep death off the water" brigade. My models range in weight from 20lb (Bluebird) to 120lb (Gold Ranger). All are direct drive but using the ESC to keep the potential speed down to a near scale speed with plenty in reserve....especially when stopping a heavy one. I've generally used Smiths heater motors, but also car seat motors which I find are better for my bigger models. "Chipchase" also warned about some heater motors being of "low torque", mainly motors from vans, trucks etc. So be careful. Until someone disabuses me, I still think that the better Smiths motors are the same as Barracudas. All are low drain, oodles of power even with a 4" prop attached. But, as I said, moving a heavy model is easy, stopping it takes the power.
BY.
Notes from a simple seaman
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.