Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Falls of Foyers Complete at last  (Read 2295 times)

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
    • Miniature Merchant Ships
Falls of Foyers Complete at last
« on: December 01, 2009, 09:47:57 am »

Completed it yesterday afternoon, 30th November, 2009.
Bob
Regards
Positive

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Falls of Foyers Complete at last
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 09:56:43 am »

Well done Bob, she looks great.

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 09:58:52 am »

Excellent Bob, looks amazing.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 10:38:18 am »

What radio set up do you have it that Bob?   %)

(Completely green with envy of you skills ... and  patience Bob.  O0 )
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ajb68

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 10:45:07 am »

Outstanding Bob looks great  :-)) :-))
Andy

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 04:31:24 pm »

Thanks for views & replies.   
Martin,
I really don't have a great deal of patience.    For interest, the hull took 43.6 hours and the masting and rigging took 25.7 hours. Total 69.30 hours and that included building the display case. I commenced the model on the 10th October last, so the build was spread over 51 days, so that averages about 1.5 hours per day. I did not work every day though, but when I did work, it could be anything between half an hour and three hours, but never anything too stressfull. Also remember that it is very small and although miniature sailing ships look impossible if you haven't tried them and don't know the techniques, they are really a lot easier than large models. I went from 8'=1" to 32'=1" literally overnight in the early 1970s.
I placed the completed model in a new thread so I could get a better idea of how many were interested in the completed article.

Bob
Regards
Positive

ajb68

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 04:36:34 pm »

Trus me youve got patience ! i struggle with handrails at 24th scale never mind the kind of work you have done there its a work of art mate , just as a matter of curiosity do you keep these or sell them ?
Andy

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 05:02:00 pm »

Hi Andy,

I really don't have much patience at all.    I like to see the job "up and running" in the first hour.    It is technique and a steady hand.   The rails are tinned copper wire,  wound on a special frame with threaded rod glued round the sides to provide accurate wire spacing.    A small soldering iron is run across the wires and  a couple of dozen soldered joints can be done very neatly in seconds.   Same with the ratlines.   No messing about with knots for me.   Most of the wire rigging (not counting shrouds and ratlines) is glued on!

I do sell them when completed as I build so many.   FALLS OF FOYERS was the 237th since I started counting in October 1992 when I left the sea.    For a few years, I did it full time, but now on pension (aged 65) it has gone back to being a hobby again, but I still build about one a month and they are a mixture of steam and sail.

I also write a lot and some of you may have seen my articles in MODEL SHIPWRIGHT for whom I have been writing regularly since 2004!

Bob
Regards
Positive

kiwi

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 05:46:31 pm »

Hi Bob,
absolutely brilliant.
I'd love to give one of those a go, but my eyesight is now not good enough. I build mainly at 1/48th and have to do most of my detail work under a freznel magnifying plate, or I just can't see it. So at your level of detail, although I can see to appreciate the work, I can't see to actually do it. If you know what I mean.
Will have to checkout 'Model Shipwright' now, and any chance of posting more of your work.
Had a friend (sadly past away a few years ago) who many years ago did some similar to yours but of ww2 ships he served on. Have loved these miniatures since seeing his when I was at school.
Patience, skill and organization go hand in hand to do what you are doing, keep up the fantastic work
cheers
kiwi

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 06:00:11 pm »

Hi Kiwi,
Yes, I know what you mean.    Sometimes I find it a bit difficult to see what I am doing.      Yesterday was a bit hard-going because there was brilliant sunshine flooding in (for a change).    I seem to manage better when there is a bit of cloud around to diffuse the brilliance, or under the table lamp.
Yes, there will be more when I decide what to do next.   May take a few days before I begin.
Bob
Regards
Positive

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 09:15:16 pm »

Another masterpiece from the Magnificent Miniatures shipyard   O0 Well done Bob  :-))

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.