Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blast bags, main guns.  (Read 3416 times)

berth44

Blast bags, main guns.
« on: December 02, 2009, 05:03:42 am »

Hello, I thought about how to improve on these, using plastic from a plastic bag cut and glued to the moulded bit of the barrel. I gave up on that idea! What I ended up doing was to liberaly to cover the 'bag part' in white glue, let it dry (well, almost, soft, clear and non tacky!!)
When it came to that stage, (not long)it looked OK, gave it a quick undercoat, but later on as I push the thing into the turret I found that that also pushed the soft coat of glue outward!
I then just used my thumbnail to mould creases on it, the only snag, as this was basically an 'experiment' , I tried to remove the barrel, but it is firmly stuck, nearly pulling the front of the turret off, you can see with the gap that has appeared!!
Anyway, I'll get it out, here's a few photo'si, s it better??, or should I not bother???............Dave

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Blast bags, main guns.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 11:14:03 am »

Thats a hard one... I think it looks more realistic...but ...as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder :-))
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 11:21:55 am »

I t certainly looks more realistic than the molded "bag". I think the hard part will be in reproducing it consistently.

John

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 12:36:36 pm »

Thinking out of the box.

Could you now cover it in latex, then split it on the underside afterwards, to make a mould? I think you would need to remove the barrel and maybe sacrifice the turret.

If so, to reproduce, you could just insert the barrel into the mould and pour in resin.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 08:50:24 pm »

The thing is that on a real ship they would all be slightly different anyway... a different lashing an older cover or one thats been damaged things like this is what makes the difference between a model and the real thing... many models for the most part are repetitious and and so can look bland and uninteresting {:-{ O0 The eye see's things like this and says this dosen't look quite right... even though it is correct.
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

Navy2000

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 10:48:32 pm »

Here you go check out this article and see what you think.

http://www.wmunderway.8m.com/cont/bbag/bbag.htm

Duane
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.