Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrics - motors plus...  (Read 1464 times)

bugs

Electrics - motors plus...
« on: December 02, 2009, 04:24:35 pm »

OK, trying to list everything I need to build a Fairey Huntsman just to get a rough idea of overall price. This is my first build of this type so a complete novice. Discussion in another thread has led me go for electric over IC so now I just need to work out what I am likely to need. So, the list so far:

Motor
Looking at the prices I think I'll stick with a single even though the Huntsman was twin-prop. The Graupner 700 BB Turbo is mentioned a lot but I'm confused by the number of options. Voltage and other specs... Help...

Speed/direction controller.
Thinking I'll go for an electronic controller as these seem to be favoured. I'm detecting that I'll be able to work out which one once I know which motor spec I'm going for...

Servo for rudder
This, I think, is probably the most straightforward item to buy. Probably get Futaba.

Receiver
I think that if I'm using an electronic speed controller then I only need the receiver for the rudder. Probably Futaba again.

Transmitter
I already have a 2 channel Futaba one for a RC car which I plan to use.

I've got this far by reading posts and replies to my posts and also reading the techie bit on the home page.

Feedback welcome!

FullLeatherJacket

Re: Electrics - motors plus...
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 05:36:12 pm »

Which Fairey Huntsman are you contemplating? If it's the kit then there are two; a 46" one and a 34" one. The requirements are quite different.
The receiver will operate both the speed controller and the steering servo. A 2-channel one is quite sufficient.
If you already have a Futaba receiver which is operated by your 2-channel transmitter then try to get an identical receiver for your boat i.e. type and code number. A Futaba servo is also probably a good idea - "mix and match" with different brands doesn't always work best!
FLJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 19 queries.